Rose Scented

Black Herbal Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Ugh. I made what I think is a regrettable decision, as in I sent an email to a friend whom I'd wronged several years ago. I was hoping to apologize, the apology of the no strings attached variety...” Read full tasting note
    keychange 451 tasting notes
  • “I am so glad I took this elegant, soothing tea to work, because it was a horrible horrible day of mean people. :( The best things that happened today were: I had this tea, a few people who wanted...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1832 tasting notes
  • “Guess what time it is? Harney time! As I get more recent in this chronology I start hitting "runs" of tea, like this one, when I bought a big restock order of Harney teas and so I have a number of...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1979 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown no. 38 of 2014. This may be so long for now, but it isn't goodbye forever. I like this one too much for that to be true. I barely had enough leaf left for the lowest Breville setting,...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 953 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

This beautiful blend of large leaf Ceylon and Keemun is scented with rose oil and rosebuds. The scent alone makes a tin of this tea memorable. The addition of pink rosebuds lends a romantic touch to this fine tea.

About Harney & Sons View company

I received a tin of this tea while suffering from a pretty painful migraine. I was worried that the rosiness would exacerbate my symptoms (as perfumed things tend to do) but brewed up a teapot of it anyway! It was so fragrant … my kitty sauntered across the house to inspect the new smell!

The aroma is lovely. Soft, not TOO perfumey, but considerably more sweet rosey in fragrance than Upton’s Rose Congou. The tea is medium-bodied and quite gentle, and the rose oil/petals compliment it well. Thankfully, the warmth and smoothness of it actually aided in some migraine relief (as well as the caffiene, I assume.)

As a lover of rose teas, this was quite enjoyable. I recommend it to anyone who loves perfumey rose scents & flavors, as well as a sweeter cup of tea. :)

Blech. This was one of the 3 teas I tried today in Harney Soho’s Valentine’s Day tea flight. I am not really a floral scent fan, so I was not really happy with this tea. The rose just doesn’t do it for me at all.

Yum! Rose is delicious! This is a lightly scented tea with elegant presentation. I think I like teavivre’s more since I enjoy the tea base more but if I hadn’t had that first this would probably be my favorite black rose tea. I wish I could go on with more of the flavors I picked up but I enjoyed a cup of this after having Korean food for lunch so everything tasted a little like garlic. :)
In any case, this is a great rose tea. Thanks for sharing Ashmanra! I’ll definitely try this again before garlic overload.

Beware this is a very rosy tea! The aroma is pungent, too pungent for my taste. The black tea base is reminiscent of Yunnan Golden Pu-erh from Teavana with honey undertones, a little overpowering though perhaps I steeped it for too long. I get some taste of soap, which is likely my aversion to the rose. I realize I do not much care for floral teas. Though it does leave a pleasant, flowery taste on the tongue, it is a bit scratchy at the back of the throat and the relaxing nature of the rose is in direct contrast to high levels of caffeine in the black tea; it gave me a bit of a jolt. I would recommend this only to lovers of rose; the scent for me is off-putting. What will I do with 4oz of this? Any blends one would recommend?

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Pleasantly fragrant with a light rose note.

I had high hopes for this tea. The dry tea has a wonderful scent. It does smell like rose oil, and if I am not mistaken, like the oil of rosa damascena, which is very specific—bright and highly valued in perfumery and aromatherapy. (In fact, I think that the most aromatic rose petals are actually from rose damascena or rose centifolia). So, my hopes soaring, I proceeded to steep the tea. I’ve actually tried this tea twice. The first time I used boiling water (202F) as suggested for black teas. The second time I preheated the pot, but used water slightly less hot than boiling.

The first brewing attempt produced a pot of strong black tea, but not much rose scent or taste. Just to be sure my senses are not completely obliterated from sniffing too many other things, roses included, I asked someone else to take a sip and sniff. His verdict was that this was a very nice black tea, but, alas, no roses. As the pot sat on the counter, forlorn, we decided to turn it into iced tea and finish it off. We were both surprised to find out that, in its iced version, we could feel the rose scent—subtle enough, but it was there.

The second time, I preheated the pot and used slightly less hot than boiling water. The rose scent is here—extremely subtle—but also somehow strangely sour, not in a citrusy way.

I see that most people like their flowers in a cup barely there. For them, I think it would be a good rose tea. I’d definitely prefer this tea iced or at least cool as for some reason it brings out the scent.

Something so primal and soothing about this tea, and girlie. It is becoming my addiction.