English Breakfast

Malt, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by shotwell

• “My tin is getting dangerously low, and I bought the one pound bag! It is almost gone... It is finally a really cold morning here. I needed some warmth to look forward to after breakfast. Tea...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1817 tasting notes
  • “Second tea of the morning...... We will just call this "the parade of Keemuns". I am trying to get an idea of which basic Keemun is the best flavor profile for me. I have three in a similar...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 974 tasting notes
  • “Apparently I'm on a bit of a Harney & Sons sampling kick. I'd like to say I'm going to be methodical about it and stick mostly to these for a while but that would probably be misleading. I have...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 952 tasting notes
  • “This is a nice Keemun with a peppery taste. This is a very smooth tea with a slight sweetness to it. It has a very slight smoky aftertaste. A nice cup of tea in the morning.” Read full tasting note
    Maniac49 429 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Our English Breakfast has an ancient pedigree. Researchers have traced its heritage back to the black tea the English drank regularly in the 1800’s. 100% Keemun.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

This was a free sample from Harney and Sons.

It was a bagged tea.

I am not a big fan of breakfast teas, but I found Harneys version to be quite pleasant. I find a lot of breakfast teas can be very strong and quite bitter. I brewed this tea for a shorter period of time, just because I was scared it could get bitter. I prefer not to add any milk or sweetener to my black teas. Harney’s version of English Breakfast is a smooth tea, no bitterness noted. It is creamy with a very slight sweetness to it. I love that it is 100% keemun and not a blend. There is a very slight, kind of sweet aftertaste.
I would most likely not purchase this tea for drinking, but I am happy I had the chance to try it.

Rachel J

I drank my free sample of this at breakfast this morning too! I agree with what you said. I steeped it in 190 degree water for 3 min.

Not a bad tea, but rather too mild for my tastes.

I don’t know what I was thinking this morning. Apparently I thought this was going to be a light, gentle, quiet tea, so I used TWO tea bags in my first cup. With 2% milk.

And I’m OK. My hands are not shaking. In fact, 4 hours later, I am about to have another cup, this time brewed with 1 silken bag for about 5 minutes. No milk, sugar, half-and-half, or lemon.

[Pause] [Sniff] [Pause] [Slurp] […Pause…]

When I sniff I can catch that sharp, almost vinegary smell someone else mentioned. It’s rather nice, like malt vinegar or even balsamic.

First unadorned sip is strong, definitely “fills the mouth” (if I’m beginning to understand that term) with the flavor of tea, and then retreats with almost no aftertaste. I could get used to drinking this black. Must try this experiment with my Assams later.

Now it’s cooled down a little and I can take bigger sips. It’s a bit puckery but pleasant. That’s “briskness,” right? H&S doesn’t seem to think it’s very brisk, as they only give it a 1 on their scale of 1-5. Maybe I am a wuss, after all.

This is my first China tea of this new exploration, and I believe it is the first Keemun I have ever tasted. The knowledgeable tea buyer at my local British import shop guided me to it when I asked whether they carried a pure Keemun. It’s not clearly identified as such on the bagged tin, although if you read the back it says “Produced in late spring in Annui Province, China handplucked, fully oxidized.” I believe on the loose-tea tin it does say “Keemun” in fine print.

Courtesy of Janefan! I love sachet tea bags- they’re convenient while retaining all the goodness of loose leaf tea. I had this for my morning tea, and it was a very smooth Keemun with a pleasant sweet aftertaste. Not a sugary flavor, but just natural slight sweetness of tea. It would be also good other times of the day as it is not very strong.

I had a sample of this and was pleasantly surprised. Most of the breakfast teas I have been drinking need milk or sugar because they are not that smooth plain. This tea, however, was great plain. I think this will be going on my shopping list.

I have a disease of acquisitiveness. I lusted after having some of Harney & Son’s pretty tins in my collection. Now, I am also an anglophile, and I wanted the English Breakfast tea H&S makes that is “the original tea the English drank”, so that meant it was the 100% Keemun. So, I get to my local grocery today and they have both the pretty tin (20 sachets, 1.4 oz) for $7.49, and the plain black tin (Loose, 4 oz) for $7.19. Well…I don’t like the polyester sachets, right? Non-biodegradable and all that. And I was faced with a choice: a pretty tin and less tea for more money, or more tea at a better value?

Sigh. I’m growing up. I bought the loose tea. Because in the end, it’s all about the tea.

I’ve had Keemuns before, some of them decent, some sour and undrinkable. This one is pretty good. It has a smell and character that puts me in mind of Chinese grocery stores. There is a bit of a tang to it, something sort of vinegar-y. I will play with this one a bit and see what I uncover.

Not as good as Irish Breakfast, but we still buy this in bulk and go through it pretty quick.

Complex and earthy flavor is well rounded with a satisfying finish. Light to medium bodied.

This smells like wood while steeping….
I’ve only had English Breakfast one other time…when last year my friend from England made me a “traditional English” cup of tea with milk and all. Didn’t like it then, but can’t remember what it tasted like. Don’t remember it tasting like wood though.
I like the malty black teas…need more malty black teas to try. I keep finding all these woody teas…
I would think maybe my taste is just changing. But then I try black teas that I have that I love and thought were malty and they taste the same. Maybe I just keep buying the wrong teas…I don’t know.
If anyone has any really good malty teas to recommend, let me know! Because I really wanna find a good, malty tea!
This one, however, is not as bad as expected.
It’s like half malty and half woody. It’s initially a light malt flavor but then changes to wood. It’s weird. But not actually that bad. I would drink this again. Wouldn’t buy it, but would drink it again willingly.
Harney & Sons sent me 4 tea bags of this as free samples. xD Guess they really wanted me to try this one-haha! As I’m finishing the first steep I actually can see this tea growing on me. But I guess I will see what happens with the next three tea bags. :P

Flavors: Malt, Wood

TheTeaFairy

Have you tried Tiger Assam from Andrews & Dunham? That’s a malt bomb!

(And Yay! You’re drinking tea again ;-))

Ost

I haven’t! I’m kinda skeptical of buying from them because it’s in such large amounts! Wish they had samples. ><

(Haha yah! I hope it stays! :P)

TheTeaFairy

Yes, same here, I haven’t ordered any of their teas yet because of the quantity issue. I was lucky cause a friend sent me a sample of Tiger Assam and I really like it!

Ost

Ah well I will have to try that one sometime! Gotta hunt down someone who has it and will send me a sample of it haha!

I’ll have to try this again but it tasted vegetaly to me.

Not sure why but a lot of the harney & sons black tea samples i got all have a similar smell with something added to give them a flavoring.