English Breakfast

Malt, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by shotwell

• “My tin is getting dangerously low, and I bought the one pound bag! It is almost gone... It is finally a really cold morning here. I needed some warmth to look forward to after breakfast. Tea...” Read full tasting note
    ashmanra 1812 tasting notes
  • “Second tea of the morning...... We will just call this "the parade of Keemuns". I am trying to get an idea of which basic Keemun is the best flavor profile for me. I have three in a similar...” Read full tasting note
    SimplyJenW 972 tasting notes
  • “Apparently I'm on a bit of a Harney & Sons sampling kick. I'd like to say I'm going to be methodical about it and stick mostly to these for a while but that would probably be misleading. I have...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 951 tasting notes
  • “This is a nice Keemun with a peppery taste. This is a very smooth tea with a slight sweetness to it. It has a very slight smoky aftertaste. A nice cup of tea in the morning.” Read full tasting note
    Maniac49 429 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

Our English Breakfast has an ancient pedigree. Researchers have traced its heritage back to the black tea the English drank regularly in the 1800’s. 100% Keemun.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

Thanks again for this one keychange this is actual a backlog from yesterday as i needed a good ol’ harney tea when i got home in the rain. Moody grey days = SUPER bright colour wearing sil…so i was getting funny looks on the bus. and hten it rained…and i got wet and had this tea and it was lovely. :)

TheTeaFairy

Love colours on rainy days, boo to boring staring people in the bus.

Kat_Maria

This is largely off-topic, but I love how you guys spell “colour”. I used to spell it like that when I was learning English in school (and then in college) back in Poland, but since I have been living in the US I switched to the plain, boring “color” :(

TheTeaFairy

Kat_Maria, I don’t think I,m the best person to answer that since i’m French and have never learned English academically, (i’m self taught), but I always wondered too. It’s like neighbour vs neoghbor and lots of other “or” words. I guess we are using the British dictionary here in Canada instead of the American ? Lol, I’m sure Sil can answer this better than I can!

yyz

When I was a child we were taught British English exclusively in Toronto. Lately this practice has been relaxed, and when I was in the last years of public school you could use either dictionary as long as you were consistent. I’ve always preferred using our vs or in those words though as it seems somewhat more rounded and emphatic on the last syllable.

yeah it’s the OR vs OUR thing…and then there’s the S and Z thing (like analysed and analyzed)…cheque vs check. etc…

Was sooooooooo excited to dip into this tea this morning….used my Teaze Tea Infuser for this, which is also new. Well, I was just asking for something to not be “right” using a new tea and a new infuser…my cup came out weaker that I would have liked. Disappointing, as I am limited to one cup of caffeinated tea a day. BUT (yes, that was a big but), I must say, it wasn’t so bad that I felt a need to toss the cup down the drain. It was my first ever (knowing) straight Keemun. It was certainly different from the Malachi McCormick that I had yesterday (which is blended with Assam)….just earth flavor in this one….earth on a rainy day, watered down by bad measuring…. I’ll revisit this one again tomorrow….

Boiling 4 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML
keychange

Oh no! I hope your next cup is better.

Not bad for a bagged tea, but not nearly as strong as it should be.

This is our daily go-to household tea. It has a rich, slightly floral aroma and the low astringency we prefer. I usually drink this brewed strong, steeped long, and with honey and half&half added. This tea feels substantial, but it doesn’t take up so much attention that it has to stand alone.

Not as strong as I’m used to. I hate to say, but i preferred pg tips over this when stained a bit with milk. However, the english breakfast is the clear winner when enjoyed straight.

Light yet still a well-rounded flavor and enough smoothness and body to drink it straight… I sometimes add almond milk to black tea to accomplish that. The slight caramel sweetness was just right but there was also a little perfuminess that was just a note or two too much for me to make this a staple, though I’d be happy to drink it in a restaurant.

Some years ago, my mom received a gift basket with some Harney’s English Breakfast tea included. She gave it to me and I thought it was the smoothest EB tea, with no bitterness. This was before the internet included so much, and I searched off and on for a few years before I found a place to buy it. I have loved it since and it is still my favorite to drink in the morning while at work. It is fairly robust and I brew it about 4 to 5 minutes at the most. Now that I have found Harney’s website, I hope to try more of their teas.

This is a fine, dark brew with an ever so slight smokiness and a crisp, dry finish. Just a touch of cream and sugar will round out the flavor and soften the edges, but too much will chase away its complexity. It has a bold yet subtle and slightly mysterious character, like a demure beauty whose understated elegance belies a ruthless cunning.

My first keemun, and not a disappointment. A bit smokey, but with a surprising flowery aftertaste, especially on subsequent brews. I prefer maltier brews for breakfast teas though.

Very nice and smooth tea Breakfast Tea. Not too strong, but quite tasty. Definitely a great way to start off my morning (except that “brunch” turned out to be 1pm!)