Dong Ding Light

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Harney & Sons

Dong Ding is one of the older styles of Taiwanese oolongs. Yet changes occur. This one is done in the new style that prizes the “fresh flower” and “lemon taffy” flavors of the Oolong, instead of covering up those flavors with a charcoal firing.

About Harney & Sons View company

I made three steeps of this tonight, gong fu style, and mixed them. I still have enough of my sample to do this one more time. Hooray!

I went out with hubby for Chinese buffet tonight and this is my dessert. (Unless I cave and go to CookOut and get the 99 cent shake of the week which is cappuccino in which case THAT will be my dessert but we won’t talk about that right now. Then this will just be my after dinner tea.)

I did a quick wash of the leaves before steeping. They were nicely opening up when I made the first steep, but still not completely there. The liquor is a soft, golden yellow. There is a hint of astringency, not in a bad way. I am drinking this because a couple of days ago the memory of oolong suddenly it my mouth and I have been craving it ever since. For some reason, though, I have been having tea only with guests and have made flavored or plain black tea every time.

This is truly lemony, especially when you are not pairing it with food. It does pair well with food, but right now…Oof. Too much food in my tummy already!

Bonnie

go get the blasted shake! and shouldn’t this be ding dong the witch is dead?

ashmanra

I would, Bonnie, but I would have to throw up first. Or I can just wait two hours for my food to settle. It IS Chinese, after all. :D

Azzrian

I LOVE Dong Ding! Never heard of “light” dong ding – interesting!

ScottTeaMan

I hate it when I really want a cup of tea, but I’m so full I have no room for tea…….and I HATE waiting-especially when i’m really in the mood for tea [which is most of my waking life!].

“Another Traveling Tea Box?!?!

What a lovely oolong! Very creamy, lightly floral- almost like orchids.

Tea #36 from Another Traveling Tea Box

I steeped this twice and eventually ended up mixing the two together so I could take them with me for my running around later. It’s a nice bright sunny day which means the baby and I will be spending it playing on the swings :)

The first steep of this tea was very lightly flavored, much more lightly than I was looking for today, but I should have expected the light flavor just based on the name alone. It had a nice slightly floral flavor with a hint of lemon and a nice creamy texture.

I’m glad that I got to try this, it’s a very nice, basic oolong, although not one I would order for myself. I like my oolong to have a bit more depth to it.

Have I told you yet that I love this tea? My favorite Dong Ding atm and I’ll need to order more real soon!

Number 3 from Travelling Tea box (I won’t review all teas)

I did this Gaiwan-style with 1.5 grams of tea for 3 oz water and 1 minute steeps.

First steep was very light. Light grassy nose with hints of veggie and spice. Light taste (not surprising since the leaves haven’t unwrapped yet). 2nd: Nose has more spice, less veggie. Taste is astringent without being bitter. A bit too light; style is elegant rather than powerful. 3rd (2.5 min): Nose and taste are stronger. Still a delicate style. 4th (6 min steep): Still good.

Dong Ding is a lovely example of a creamy, lemony oolong, slightly darker than it’s high-mountain brethren (Ali Shan) and slightly more restrained. It is one of Taiwan’s most famous and beloved oolongs and most likely its first.

secret butterfly
trapped in a parched brown cocoon
spreads its golden wings

mj

I LOVE this one :)

ashmanra

Another one to read to group!

sherapop

Thank you, mj and ashmanra! ;-)