Yerba Mate

Yerba maté Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Harney & Sons

This is a popular herbal beverage from South America with a long tradition, including being used by the gauchos (cowboys) of Argentina. Although it is herbal, it does contain caffeine. It has a grassy, vegetal flavor. At our Tasting Room, our staff blends it with Peppermint. Here, however, we offer straight Yerba Mate. If you have peppermint on hand, you might try creating a unique blend for yourself. For best flavor, brew this tisane for 3 minutes using 180 degree water.

About Harney & Sons View company

I believe this is my second yerba mate? Now, right off the bat, I messed up the preparation. Turns out I was supposed to treat it like a green, but I read the instructions too late. So my water was too hot. Therefore, my review of this might be a little skewed. (And I don’t have another sachet to try again with.)

The tea smells lightly smoky and spicy. Almost like cinnamon, but different. It’s the only thing I can compare it to. The flavor reminds me of something outside. It’s very vegetal, kind of reminding me of collard greens. There’s also a note of green beans. And leather. I know, this sounds really weird. But it was a freebie and after a night of drinking, I needed something to wake me up.

As far as the buzz goes, I can definitely feel something. It doesn’t seem as strong as a cup of coffee, and it comes on a little slower, but there’s certainly something there.

Tried this for the first time today. YUM!
Helped me wake up for my class tonight. The folks at Harney Soho always have great suggestions of tea.

Mmmmm I’ve never had plain old Mate before and this is good! Tastes very earthy and somewhat refreshing :)

I’m on the fence about this one. Not being a caffeine drinker the “tang” was certainly something different/a distraction. I could definitely see this being an acquired taste for me personally.