Pomegranate Oolong Iced

Fruit Oolong Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “I got curious and tore open one of the packets to try brewing this hot, and I don't like it any better. The pomegranate which smells so lovely on the leaves has a very dry and artificial taste to...” Read full tasting note
    Cait 216 tasting notes
  • “My Harney & Sons tea order came in the mail today, and it seemed like a little bit of nostalgia. When I first started exploring loose leaf teas about ten years ago, the first teas I bought were...” Read full tasting note
    karsh 67 tasting notes
  • “There is a warm version of this now you can buy at Barnes and Nobles. I love the smell, but the taste is a little bitter for me. By the end of the cup it was so bitter I had to toss it. Far better...” Read full tasting note
    beachteach 5 tasting notes

From Harney & Sons

The extra large leaves of Ti Quan Yin Oolong are deliciously infused with tangy pomegranate to create this inspiring blend.

About Harney & Sons View company

I got curious and tore open one of the packets to try brewing this hot, and I don’t like it any better. The pomegranate which smells so lovely on the leaves has a very dry and artificial taste to it — the last word I’d ever use to describe it would be “juicy”, and probably the second-to-last would be “sweet”. It’s tragic, really!

Rabs

Oh nose! :(

jessica

i feel like this happens a lot when oolong is poorly infused with some fruit flavor that is like pomegranate

My Harney & Sons tea order came in the mail today, and it seemed like a little bit of nostalgia. When I first started exploring loose leaf teas about ten years ago, the first teas I bought were Harney & Sons teas. So I kinda felt like I was coming full-circle having been on this tea journey for a decade.

Anywho…back to the tea.

The tin describes the mix as having extra large leaves of Ti Quan Yin oolong. As soon as you open the tin, you immediately get a strong whiff of pomegranate. Strong and penetrating. I figured that would carry over on the brew, but no…just the aroma. When brewed up, it tasted just like Ti Quan Yin (mellow, buttery mouthfeel, a touch of sweetness at the end). I got very little pomegranate flavor. But then I added more water to the brewed tea (H&S recommends steeping in 2 cups of boiling water, then adding 6 cups of cold water), and the pomegranate flavor started to emerge more. I guess the water drowns out the Ti Quan Yin, so it might be difficult to get a good balance of oolong and pomegranate in a particular brew.

The rest of it is in a pitcher in my fridge, but I’m not too wild about it. A pity.

175 °F / 79 °C 8 min or more

There is a warm version of this now you can buy at Barnes and Nobles. I love the smell, but the taste is a little bitter for me. By the end of the cup it was so bitter I had to toss it. Far better was the Tropical Green Tea. Skip this one and go for the Green.