Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Alannah

• “DISCLAIMER: This is very old tea. Please don't judge this tea or company by this review. (No rating for this reason.) Due to lack of a tea ball, I figured 'why not try to use up some of these...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “My sister got this for me years ago (when she lived in Hawaii). It came in a pack with two other tropical teas, and I keep forgetting to drink them. The reason for that would be that they're...” Read full tasting note
    alannahrose 433 tasting notes
  • “Licorice is the first thing that came to mind as the hot water hit the tea bag. I almost dumped it but thought it can't really taste like licorice. Well, I was right but I'm not sure what this...” Read full tasting note
    Teawench 78 tasting notes
  • “This is one of those bagged teas, if you are used to great loose black teas, tastes kinda meh. However, after a couple runs and fussing with temperature and times, I found at the 200F and 3 minute...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 938 tasting notes

From Hawaiian Islands Tea Company

A tea that celebrates the “King of Fruits”. With each sip enjoy pineapple’s naturally sweet and zesty flavor. Our hand picked tea leaves are withered, rolled and fully process using orthodox methods into a superior black tea. The result, when flavored, is a quality tea with a unique and smooth taste that blends remarkably well with pineapple to create our fragrant
and flavorful Pineapple Waikiki tea.

About Hawaiian Islands Tea Company View company

DISCLAIMER: This is very old tea. Please don’t judge this tea or company by this review. (No rating for this reason.)

Due to lack of a tea ball, I figured ‘why not try to use up some of these ancient teas’? So, round 2 of ancient tea. Round 3 coming shortly (well, you see, I also took home one of my mugs, so only have one…. what’s this one-tea-at-a-time thing?!)

This might be the least appetizing of the bunch. The teabag smells like… oldness. Haha. There are also more of this type than either of the others, because I guess I was more enamoured by passion fruit and mango (not too surprising).

The smell of the steeped tea has a bit of light fruitiness. I wouldn’t identify it as pineapple, but it’s definitely different than the mango tea. I’m also smelling some black tea maltiness. I think I do like the black tea base that was used for these blends.

Oh wow! There’s actually some pineapple flavour! At least initially. I was not expecting that. Like, we’re actually talking a flavour that I identify not as mere fruitiness, but pineapple. It is very subtle though, and mostly in the beginning of the sip, before the black tea moreso takes over. Given it’s age, I’m pretty impressed though. Another tea that I’d like to try a fresher version of. I think I might like it :) One more to go…

ETA: Blagh! I let this cool down, had a yogurt, and then finished it, and somehow it tasted like it had developed a fair bit more astringency. Ick. Oh well, it was nice when it was warm!

My sister got this for me years ago (when she lived in Hawaii). It came in a pack with two other tropical teas, and I keep forgetting to drink them. The reason for that would be that they’re pretty forgettable. Unfortunately, this “pineapple” blend isn’t fruity at all. At most, I get a slightly woody note out of this tea, and otherwise it’s just a slightly funky-tasting black tea. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I’ve had it for so long, but I remember being terribly disappointed after first trying it as well.

Licorice is the first thing that came to mind as the hot water hit the tea bag. I almost dumped it but thought it can’t really taste like licorice. Well, I was right but I’m not sure what this tastes like. It certainly isn’t pineapple. I think it’s trying to be fruity but it fails. It does smell a tiny bit like pineapple after I removed the tea bag but that does not carry over into the taste. Adding some Sugar in the Raw to see if that helps it any. Nope. Somehow that removes what little flavor it had.

This is one of those bagged teas, if you are used to great loose black teas, tastes kinda meh. However, after a couple runs and fussing with temperature and times, I found at the 200F and 3 minute mark gets a decent cup. About 10oz for a bag. I oversteeped the first couple and the blend is kinda bitter and weird tasting with not much pineapple.

The black base is a little uninspiring, but the pineapple is quite nice. It’s very pineapple tasting with a bit of a candied brown sugar taste. Actually, it’s not bad.

Ugg, I miss Hawaii. Wish I could move there!

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML

mmmmmmmm pineapple…

Hmm, not really getting a lot of pineapple here. Lots of the black tea, and behind that a bit of something fruity and woody. Kind of thin, but not unpleasant. My parents brought this back from Hawaii for me and on the box it suggests using a sweetener to enhance the fruit flavour. Trying that next time!
Edit: Lighter on the second steep— less of the black tea and wood, more of the fruit.

I’ll probably have to write another review when I’ve gotten over this cold, and fully regained all my senses, but this tea is absolutely lovely. A wonderful departure from plain black teas, and a welcome diversion from said cold. I had 2 cups this evening, and it was wonderful – the fruit flavor wasn’t synthetic (as I’d feared it may be), and it was just enough to add interest without being overpowering.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more