Creme Brulee Chai

Black Chai Blend
Brown Sugar, Cinnamon
Edit tea info Last updated by Herbal Infusions Tea Co.

• “I just finished off my sample bag of this and this one really grew on me. It was pretty good the first time I had it, but after this last cup I really wanted more and my sample was gone, so I guess...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “This smells identically to a creme brulee sitting next to a fragrant chai. Stunning, and surprising. There's something even more surprising in here, something I can't quite find. Nutmeg,...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 1108 tasting notes
  • “One of the teas I picked up at the Toronto Tea Festival! :D It smelled divine, so I had to have it. And I do not regret my decision. Even with an epic oversteep of 7 minutes and 45 seconds (I get...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2229 tasting notes
  • “Wow, this is a really unique chai! You can see I'm going a little nuts trying all my new teas. Will have to stop soon, or the caffeine is going to make me nuts! Haha! This is really good. The...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 479 tasting notes

From Herbal Infusions Tea Co.

India, Kenya, Canada

Spiced Black Tea

Black tea from India & Kenya, Organic Coconut Flakes, Ginger, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Coriander, Cloves, Black Pepper, Nutmeg, Natural Flavouring.

About Herbal Infusions Tea Co. View company

I don’t know what to say about this one, for once. It brews up quite dark and there’s a bitter edge to it, but it doesn’t taste oversteeped. It’s reminiscent of coffee, in a way. The actual flavor is more like French toast than crème brûlée. I’m not getting any creaminess, and the spices aren’t very assertive like I hoped they would be from the “chai” in the name. Oh, well, to the swap pile with it.

This is good, I like it, but I don’t love it. I think I want Creme Brulee OR chai – I don’t need them both in the same cup. Something about the “burnt sugar” and the spices doesn’t quite work for me. Oh well, 100’s of other teas to try…

TheTeaFairy

Hundreds Dexter? Really?
I think you’re being very conservative… (No sarcasms, lol!)

Dexter

LOL I actually meant the 100’s in my cupboard, not the millions out there in the world. :))

Sipdown! Just saw that I did write a note on this haha totally forgot that i logged this lol, well this note should be the more detailed one I guess haha. I overleafed a bit as there was not quite enough left for another cup.

The dry smell reminds me of that tea Della Terra put out last fall..darn I can’t remember the name..some sort of apple tea, and it also contained nutmeg, so I think that’s mostly what I am smelling in the dry leaves. It’s definitely a blend of chai like spices. This cup I steeped for 2 minutes with boiling water, I can’t remember how I did the others haha. The steeped smell actually smells much better than the previous cups, if my memory serves me correctly. It’s very spicy, but with a definite caramelly undertone, a brown sugar sweetness. I can actually liken the scent of this cup to creme brulee a bit! Maybe it’s the different water at this place haha.

As for the flavor, wow, this is spicy tonight. Not as much caramel and not much of the flavor I disliked previously, a different spice is showing itself tonight lol, very peppery and strong. It could be from overleafing too haha. I much prefer this cup to the others, but it still is not my favorite chai. It needs more chocolate and caramel notes to make it a favorite, and a bit more variety than just strong spice. There is a hint of caramel in the aftertaste, but I don’t think it’s enough to make this a reorder. Still was a very nice tea to try though, I am very glad I got the chance to! Also want to try more teas from HI in the future, I enjoy their cacao teas and the marshmallow EG (heavenly). So yes, decent cup, just not a complete favorite! Chai fans should give this one a shot though! See previous notes as well :)

ETA – I should have tried this stovetop, it might be amazing and make me need it haha. Oh well, maybe another sample will find its way into my future cart and I can give it a go :)

I sipped this down yesterday morning, with half and half and a bit of brown sugar. It’s pretty good but not amazing. I wouldn’t order more.

Trufax.

Amariel

I’ve not been terribly impressed with the two teas from them I have had. Good? Yes. Amazing? No.

Fjellrev

Yeah, I don’t know. The adventure will continue. I personally love the cacao teas, particularly with a ridiculously long steep. I remember when I tried a cacao tea at the tea fest last year, I wasn’t crazy over it and found it way too watery. I can guarantee you they only steeped it for like five minutes.

But I’m curious about their other black teas. Hope I won’t run into a base problem like Cavo and OMG. What did you think of the Moose Tracks base?

Amariel

I steeped my cacao for an hour last night. It was still eh. Moose Tracks was alright. Still really weak. I had to use a few tsp and long steep today, but then it got a bit bitter.

Fjellrev

Ah, guess the cacao isn’t for everyone. :)

Backlog:

I love a good chai this time of year (well, actually at the first sign of a chilly night back in September, I start thinking about Chai!) because I love how it warms me from the inside out. And this is definitely a tasty chai!

Spicy but not over the top. The spices are strong … stronger than the tea … but they don’t overpower the tea. I taste clove and cinnamon strongest, followed by cardamom. I love the licorice-y note from the anise, as well as the creamy, custard-like creme brulee flavor. I would like there to be a tad more creme brulee flavor to this, and that would be my only real complaint is that while I can taste the custard notes, they aren’t as strong as I’d like them to be.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/01/20/creme-brulee-chai-blend-herbal-infusions/

Updating my cupboard and realized I already finished my sample size bag last week. I need to remember and shake the bag up next time, my last cup tasted like a lot of pepper. It was still good and left me wanting more.

I made many lattes with this tea for me and the husband. I sweetened it with brown sugar and ground Trader Joes cinnamon and sugar on top. I think the combination enhanced the creme brulee taste and smell. I look forward to getting more before eggnog is back in season and trying the recipe for a Chai Nog Latte they posted on YouTube.

This tea is amazing. Not too strong with a nice creme brulee flavor! I got it from the Toronto Tea Festival, which by far was one of my favorite tea booths. I would definitely buy again!