Hot Apple Ginger Toddy

Edit tea info Last updated by Cavocorax

2 Images

• “meh. not enough ginger and too much like a diluted apple cider. Drinkable but i feel like Herbal Infusions can do better. I've got at least another cup so i'll try playing with the parameters to...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4041 tasting notes
  • “This came to me from both *MissB* and *Cavocorax* (although this particular cup is from MissB). I was a little nervous about having so much because I am finding that often I am not a huge fan of...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1345 tasting notes
  • “Yeah. Overleafed, 185F for just over 2 minutes. Not too bitter, although I still don't like the base tea. Nice apple flavour. I need more apple teas without loads of cinnamon, please and thanks!” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1165 tasting notes
  • “Grossly oversteeped, so I'm unsure if this is really how the tea is supposed to taste. Strong apple flavor with a sort of granular apple feel to it (like an applesauce almost). I smell ginger...” Read full tasting note
    MissB_Tea 940 tasting notes

From Herbal Infusions

Day 6
12 Days of Christmas 2013

About Herbal Infusions View company

meh. not enough ginger and too much like a diluted apple cider. Drinkable but i feel like Herbal Infusions can do better. I’ve got at least another cup so i’ll try playing with the parameters to see how that goes. :) thanks dexter! having a great time with these.

This came to me from both MissB and Cavocorax (although this particular cup is from MissB). I was a little nervous about having so much because I am finding that often I am not a huge fan of Herbal Infusions black base but tbh, I actually really like this one. To me, it tastes like warm apple cider. In fact, the taste is spot on and the astringency is more subtle and almost adds to the flavor.

I actually smiled when drinking this cup because it reminds me of my mother who got drunk for the first time drinking hot apple ciders in Old Montreal. The thought of my tiny, drunk Mom and my very confused grandparents (no one knew the cider had alcohol) just makes me laugh. So thank you MissB (and Cavo) for sending this my way :)

Meliboum

Mmm… sounds tasty. And that part about your mother made me laugh because I could easily imagine my own mother in that same situation ;)

VariaTEA

Obviously I was not around at the time but from what I was told she had quite a few cups of it as well. Then part way through the meal my grandparents were like “is she drunk?!” and it was only then the waiter informed them of the alcohol in drink.

caile

That is such a funny and cute story!!

Meliboum

I agree, that’s so funny and cute ! I’m sure it made you enjoy this tea even more :)

Yeah. Overleafed, 185F for just over 2 minutes. Not too bitter, although I still don’t like the base tea.

VariaTEA

I just tried Marie Antoinette by Nina’s Paris and that is definitely a cinnamon-free apple tea.

OMGsrsly

I saw! And I added it to my “distant future” shopping list. :D

VariaTEA

If you email the people at Nina’s tea, they will send you a free sample. It is worth it just to try some of the teas.

OMGsrsly

Ohhhh, so tempting. Maybe once I work through some of these swap samples. :) This weekend is gonna be a Tea Marathon.

VariaTEA

haha yum!! This trip has been amazing at getting through some teas I wouldn’t usually reach for but I should have brought more to drink up.

Grossly oversteeped, so I’m unsure if this is really how the tea is supposed to taste.

Strong apple flavor with a sort of granular apple feel to it (like an applesauce almost). I smell ginger however fail to taste it, yet there are some other unknown) apple-like spices in here. It’s the toddy part that’s getting to me. I’ve made many a Hot Toddy (had one the other day!) and whatever they’ve used for the whiskey (or booze) is offputting. Again though, maybe I’ve just oversteeped this and it’s the base yelling at me to do it justice.

Boiling 8 min or more
Cavocorax

I wish we had steeping guidelines for these teas!

MissB

Steeping guidelines and ingredient lists! I’ve emailed him a few times now, still waiting on a response. I think I’ll stick with 3 min @ 212F for now with all of the blacks.

I have to say that this tea SMELLED really tasty. I do love a spiced apple cider, and this seemed like it would be a nice blend. In fact, it is overall fairly tasty but there is just a hint of fake-ness to the apple component. It really reminds me of the taste of powdered instant apple cider, rather than fresh cider. I could definitely use more spices (ginger where?), but my main problem here is that it just came out bitter. And somehow, while being bitter, the flavor of the base tea was MIA. Oh well, thanks for the sample, MissB!

The apple-ginger is an interesting mix. It’s very much apple cider with a little bit of a kick. I feel like I’m going to fall asleep right now on the computer – too much dinner and cookies? Probably. Not a bad day though! Our little bear got a lot of great toys and we had a good time visiting people.

7/12