Competition Grade Matcha Pinnacle

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by AzukiGreenTea

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Since I became interested in Japanese green tea around 12 years ago, I have been searching for competition grade tea from Japan, but it has always been impossible to find here in the United States....” Read full tasting note
    AzukiGreenTea 6 tasting notes

From Hibiki-an

Available only at the National Tea Fair of Japan, attended by those within the Japanese green tea industry, the depth of mellow taste of this tea is ranked well above most high grade Japanese green teas.

The color of our Competition Grade Matcha Pinnacle is of a much brighter green than even the highest grade Matcha found in tea shops in Japan. At every step of growth, harvest, and production, the bright green color is encouraged through dedicated efforts with the goal of participating in the National Tea Competition.

We recommend this very special tea only to customers who are already familiar with top quality Japanese green tea such as our Super Premium or Pinnacle grade teas. Even in Japan it is almost impossible to find tea of this quality—this is one of the very best available anywhere. This is quite a unique opportunity to try the deep mellow taste, fresh aroma of young tea sprouts, and noble flavor found only at Japan’s National Tea Competition.

About Hibiki-an View company

1 Tasting Note

Since I became interested in Japanese green tea around 12 years ago, I have been searching for competition grade tea from Japan, but it has always been impossible to find here in the United States. I’ve seen competition grade tea from China, but never Japan. So when this became available a few weeks ago, I jumped at the opportunity.

Compared with other matcha, Hibiki-an’s Competition Grade Matcha Pinnacle is much brighter in color: pure green with no brown undertones. If the green color is somewhat brown, then it is lower grade and gets exponentially more so as one goes down the scale of quality. As you can imagine, this tea has no detectable brown tones. It is pure green, like a perfect pistachio. Matcha color directly correlates with flavor, and the flavor of this tea is perfect as well: fresh, smooth and creamy with no bitterness.

Before this tea, the best matcha I sampled was Hibiki-an’s Matcha Pinnacle. It is vastly superior to other matcha due to the ideal color, fresh and creamy flavor with no bitterness, and the fact that it dissolves so purely and evenly when whisked. Both the flavor and texture can be described as soft, smooth and creamy. I fortunately had the opportunity to sample Matcha Pinnacle and Competition Grade Matcha Pinnacle side-by-side. As I had hoped for, the Competition Grade matcha exceeded my expectations and again raised the bar. Both are excellent and amazing teas in a whole league of their own, but the Competition Grade does outshine the regular Matcha Pinnacle in terms of pure green color and smooth, creamy taste and texture.

This is not an everyday tea, but should be seen as a rare opportunity to try something usually only reserved for a select few within the Japanese tea industry. Thanks to Atsushi and Keiko at Hibiki-an for the opportunity to try this special tea. It is truly amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in Japanese tea.