Gyokuro Konacha

Green Tea
Grass, Iodine, Pine, Plant Stems, Tannin, Wood
High
Edit tea info Last updated by ciaogreentea

1 Tasting Note View all

• “This is the first time I've consciously had Gyokuro Konacha. From some casual reading, I understand that it is sometimes served at sushi restaurants. So far I've tried it two ways–first, an...” Read full tasting note
    jesstucker 3 tasting notes

From Hibiki-an

Konacha specks are more easily brewed for shorter time than regular Gyokuro or Sencha tea leaves. The brewing time is half of regular Gyokuro or Sencha tea leaves. The other brewing matters, tea leaves and water amount and water temperature are the same as regular Gyokuro or Sencha.
Please brew in a Kyusu with a fine mesh filter in order to prevent too many tiny specks from being poured into the tea cup. If you use a Kyusu with a rough mesh filter, please use a tea strainer.

About Hibiki-an View company

1 Tasting Note

This is the first time I’ve consciously had Gyokuro Konacha. From some casual reading, I understand that it is sometimes served at sushi restaurants.

So far I’ve tried it two ways–first, an eyeball amount of Konacha (probably a tablespoon), and about 16oz of hot water (probably around 170(f)). This proved to be overwhelmingly strong, and unfortunately reminded me of a typical grocery store bagged green tea (the saw dust stuff) that might make you queasy from tannic bitterness and seemingly oxidized from a complete surface area air exposure (because the tea granularity is so small).

Having feared I bungled it, I followed Hibiki-an’s directions precisely. I added 7g of Konacha to 200mL of 149 degree(f) water. Then steeped for precisely 45 seconds. The result was thick and strong. I suppose I had no idea how little 200mL was. It’s less than 8oz(1 cup). I am not used to drinking tea this way.

After two methods that did not work out well, I may try a more diluted solution in cooler water. I tasted the leaves, and they are actually quite fresh and delicious, kind of a smooth, woody and chlorophyllic (the way good standard gyokuru often tastes).

I recommend this tea because it is educationally interesting how a “fine dust” version of gyokuro can be so temperamental and, if harshly prepared, can be so unforgiving. Also, I’ve tried two other Hibiki-an teas, and they are absolutely without a doubt some of the best quality and value teas that I have ever had. If you haven’t tried their Karigane, it is amazing and honestly a super great value.

Flavors: Grass, Iodine, Pine, Plant Stems, Tannin, Wood