Organic Full-Steam Black Tea

High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Hugo Tea Company

4 Images

• “The lovely Nicole sent this to me and I figured having both Hugo blacks in the house was a good excuse for a sipdown and a comparison :) I prefer this version to the mornings journey, if only...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4026 tasting notes
  • “Man, this is some good tea. The blend on this is just fantastic. And with the addition of some cream - madly good. This is a dangerous sipdown. I have sworn off buying any more for a loooong time...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 423 tasting notes
  • “I had an early, exhausting morning of teaching and now I'm in a semi-awake afternoon slump. I needed tea! Not just any tea, though, tea to get me going! Full steam ahead? Thanks to *Sil* for a...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1848 tasting notes
  • “Thanks go to *TeaTiff* for a sample of this! The aroma is marvelous! It's bold with sweet dark chocolate notes. The flavor is bold, malty, and has notes of dark chocolate with a sharp sweetness....” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 746 tasting notes

From Hugo Tea Company

“For Tiger-Taming, Early Mornings, and Getting on with it.”

Origin: Yunnan Province, China

Harvest Season: Summer

Behold friends! This is the organic black tea blend you’ve been seeking. Full-Steam™ Black Tea is unequivocally smooth and balanced—with flavors of warm honey and malt. Robust and never bitter, Full-Steam is prepared to get things done. Everyday. So brew a cup and get on with it.

To serve:
1 teaspoon tea per 8 ounces of water
205°F (almost boiling)
4 minutes"

About Hugo Tea Company View company

I prefer this version to the mornings journey, if only because this has more oomph. I only steeped it for 3 mins because I didn’t bother to look anything up. Haha. This is malty and robust…it’s not bitter, it’s not astringent. There’s a flavour hidden in the brew that makes it different from your average every day malty cup. It’s somewhere between sweet and sour and makes my mouth tingle haha. Thanks so much for sharing Nicole!

Edit: 144

Nicole

Woot! Glad they got there and you enjoyed this one. :)

Terri HarpLady

I need to get some of this to sample, especially while I still have a little of the Organic Morning’s Journey to compare it to, just for fun.

Terri – they’re both delicious in my opinion…i like this one a little more, but if they were both around still, there would be room for both in my cupboard because they’re different

Terri HarpLady

That’s good enought for me!

Cavocorax

Good to hear you like it. I’ve had my eye on it since Hugo told me that this one was a good replacement for Morning Journey.

Group Hugo order?

Cavo – they are two different beasts…

Nicole

Or you can have me pick them up for you gals at the store. Don’t know how much Hugo charges from their site but shipping is probably about $8 US for me to send them (and I’ll send them in exchange for swaps…) :P

Nicole

Er.. I can pick up Full Steam since Morning’s Journey is discontinued. And any others you want to try. :)

haha ok i’ll keep that in mind nicole :)

Man, this is some good tea. The blend on this is just fantastic. And with the addition of some cream – madly good.

This is a dangerous sipdown. I have sworn off buying any more for a loooong time – I don’t have a problem with having a large stash of tea, but I don’t need to spend any more money on tea. This one will make it hard to stick to that vow since I can just pick up a tin locally. Such a problem to have. :)

carol who

I think that we all have that problem. Just a little more tea, just a little more tea, repeat ad infinitum. Should we adopt the old anti-drug slogan “Just Say NO” Yeah, right :)

Nicole

Yeah, I have made it a week without buying tea. I consider that a victory since I have made out 3 online orders in that time and not followed through with them. :)

Terri HarpLady

Good girl! You have much more restraint than I do. I received a couple of nice payments on paypal last night, & the next thing you know I’m perusing yixing pots, tea, etc… I haven’t spent anything…yet…I might allow myself a small present…or not!

This is how you end up with 400+ teas in your collection, BTW, although due to good behavior I’m somewhere below 350 right now, I think.
I did place a Verdant order a few days ago, because I had tea cash to spend by the 28th, haha

Nicole

LOL… I always feel better when I hear about some of the stashes others on Steepster have. I haven’t counted but most of what I have is in my cupboard here and I’m not even at 100. I just feel excessive since they are almost exclusively blacks… My last order was a must place though so it doesn’t count – I had to pick up Golden Fleece while it was still in stock. So my most recent order was with Verdant as well. :)

Terri HarpLady

My stash is very Black Tea heavy as well.
Now I’m sitting on Camellea Sinensis’ website…lol

looseTman

“I just feel excessive since they are almost exclusively blacks…”
“My stash is very Black Tea heavy as well.”
Is there a problem with that? :-)

Terri HarpLady

Nicole, I didn’t realize you were in KC!! We’re neighbors!

Nicole

I know! And some time I’ll make it over your way. Coworker is having a wedding reception over your way in April I think… not sure when exactly though. I can bring a tin of FS for you when I come. :)

That would be awesome!
Tony comes to KC for a few days each month. He keeps inviting me to come with him, so one of these weeks I’ll have to come & meet you & TeaTiff!

Nicole

That would be schweet! :)

TeaTiff

A tea party :)

Nicole

You read my mind!! I have been contemplating having a tea party and inviting all the KC Steepster peeps. I see no reason why the St. Louis ones can’t be included. :) We’ll have to think on timing… :)

Who else is in KC?
As far as I know I’m the only Steepsterite in St. Louis, although I brag about steepster to my friends all the time, LOL.

Nicole

Me, TeaTiff, Amanda Wilson, JustJames & used to be wombatgirl but she hasn’t been online in ages. Not sure if there is anyone else.

Nicole

Gah, make that JustJohn. :)

Nicole

Oh, and Azzrian is within driving distance but also hasn’t been online in ages.

Terri HarpLady

Cool! When I decide to come over there with Tony, I’ll let you guys know. He usually drives there on a monday, meets with clients tues & weds, & then comes home on a thurs. The hardest part for me will be scheduling make up lessons for all of my student, but it would be nice to get away for a few days.

I had an early, exhausting morning of teaching and now I’m in a semi-awake afternoon slump. I needed tea! Not just any tea, though, tea to get me going! Full steam ahead? Thanks to Sil for a sample of this one!

At first I was a bit meh about the flavor of this one. While it was still quite hot it was a bit flat and had a bitter edge. As it cooled to warm it got better and better. Suddenly the bitterness is gone and instead there is a nice depth of flavor. It reminds me of a black dragon pearl, except not pearl-ized, so I would guess that this has its roots in a Fengqing black tea. A bit chocolatey, a bit malty, a hint of grains. Overally quite tasty once it cooled, but I am going to ding it a bit for the not so awesome hot flavor. We’ll see how the next cup goes, maybe it’ll get adjusted. But definitely a nice tasty black tea.

Stephanie

Yum this sounds good.

Thanks go to TeaTiff for a sample of this! The aroma is marvelous! It’s bold with sweet dark chocolate notes. The flavor is bold, malty, and has notes of dark chocolate with a sharp sweetness. This made a wonderful morning cup! Thanks again :]

Terri HarpLady

Yup, this one makes me wonder whatever it was that I saw in Organic Morning’s Journey, cuz this one is SO much better. :)

Part 2 of my Hugo Breakfast Blend comparison…
Whew, much better! The leaf material in this one was much darker, long, & twisty. That alone made me feel better. The resulting tea was a deep mahogany. The formula:
1 tsp + 8oz X 4min
Full steam wins over Organic Morning’s Journey, without a doubt!
Thanks to TeaTiff for sharing a generous sample of this tea!

looseTman

“Sweet, smooth, malty, with elements of chocolate, red wine, caramel, & even a twist of orange. The texture is smooth & full, with a bright tingle on the tip of the tongue. It’s also much easier on the tummy!” – Sounds yummy! Is there quantity discount?

for some reason i thought you had purchased this one terri..

good Q, lTman…
Sil, I purchased the A & D screech hawk, lol, which I need to remember to include some of in your BOX ;)

Cavocorax

Maybe it was me? I can give you samples if you’d like!

I’ve tried this one :) I liked it betterth an the one they discontinued….

I just love Hugo Teas. I haven’t been disappointed by any of them. They just really know how to do straight black tea blends so well!

They might be awesome for other teas too; I’ve only had their black teas. OMG.

I’m celebrating hitting 210 with this cup. It’s a cup I can savour and enjoy; steep and resteep. I’m not drinking it because it’s in a ziplock bag that’s taking up room, or because I want to decrease my cupboard. I’m drinking it because it’s a vibrant and flavourful tea that feels like an appropriate reward for dropping my cupboard down 35 teas since the 19th and the *Sil*pocalypse.

Now that my cupboard is physically smaller (less fiddly bags around) I’m no longer in sipdown mode. I’ll try and focus on drinking some of my older teas now – I have 7 teas that will be in my cupboard for 1 year in the next two months, and it’s time to drink them to keep things fresh! (Except for Tardis. I still have 3 .5/6oz of that and I doubt it’s going anywhere fast. Mmmmm… Tardis.)

haha go you!

juliebeth

congrats!

Dexter3657

Sil pocalypse. LOL that’s funny – appropriate but funny. Good job on getting down to 210!!!

Thanks guys. :D

I have been sharing this in every swap, but have yet to write a review. I am always really excited when I find something local that is awesome! This is one of them. I can walk a block and pick up a tin and support a local business. So this will be a constant in my cupboard.

This is really hitting the spot this morning. malty, honey, without being to astringent. This tea makes me want to snuggle up with a book right now instead of working, but such is life. I can’t have the book, but I can drink this all day long!