Organic Full-Steam Black Tea

High
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Hugo Tea Company

4 Images

• “The lovely Nicole sent this to me and I figured having both Hugo blacks in the house was a good excuse for a sipdown and a comparison :) I prefer this version to the mornings journey, if only...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “Man, this is some good tea. The blend on this is just fantastic. And with the addition of some cream - madly good. This is a dangerous sipdown. I have sworn off buying any more for a loooong time...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 520 tasting notes
  • “From the Round 3 Here's Hoping TTB Wow... I like. This is bready and malty with a good bit of heft. This is definitely a tea to get you up and moving in the morning. Lots of strength with no...” Read full tasting note
    Veronica 727 tasting notes
  • “*HHTTB Round 3* This one has a lovely bready, malty quality to it. I also get a bit of chocolate, though only a hint. I bet if I were to take the many suggestions here to steep it at 3 minutes I...” Read full tasting note
    lolainred 125 tasting notes

From Hugo Tea Company

“For Tiger-Taming, Early Mornings, and Getting on with it.”

Origin: Yunnan Province, China

Harvest Season: Summer

Behold friends! This is the organic black tea blend you’ve been seeking. Full-Steam™ Black Tea is unequivocally smooth and balanced—with flavors of warm honey and malt. Robust and never bitter, Full-Steam is prepared to get things done. Everyday. So brew a cup and get on with it.

To serve:
1 teaspoon tea per 8 ounces of water
205°F (almost boiling)
4 minutes"

About Hugo Tea Company View company

I prefer this version to the mornings journey, if only because this has more oomph. I only steeped it for 3 mins because I didn’t bother to look anything up. Haha. This is malty and robust…it’s not bitter, it’s not astringent. There’s a flavour hidden in the brew that makes it different from your average every day malty cup. It’s somewhere between sweet and sour and makes my mouth tingle haha. Thanks so much for sharing Nicole!

Edit: 144

Nicole

Woot! Glad they got there and you enjoyed this one. :)

Terri HarpLady

I need to get some of this to sample, especially while I still have a little of the Organic Morning’s Journey to compare it to, just for fun.

Terri – they’re both delicious in my opinion…i like this one a little more, but if they were both around still, there would be room for both in my cupboard because they’re different

Terri HarpLady

That’s good enought for me!

Cavocorax

Good to hear you like it. I’ve had my eye on it since Hugo told me that this one was a good replacement for Morning Journey.

Group Hugo order?

Cavo – they are two different beasts…

Nicole

Or you can have me pick them up for you gals at the store. Don’t know how much Hugo charges from their site but shipping is probably about $8 US for me to send them (and I’ll send them in exchange for swaps…) :P

Nicole

Er.. I can pick up Full Steam since Morning’s Journey is discontinued. And any others you want to try. :)

haha ok i’ll keep that in mind nicole :)

Man, this is some good tea. The blend on this is just fantastic. And with the addition of some cream – madly good.

This is a dangerous sipdown. I have sworn off buying any more for a loooong time – I don’t have a problem with having a large stash of tea, but I don’t need to spend any more money on tea. This one will make it hard to stick to that vow since I can just pick up a tin locally. Such a problem to have. :)

carol who

I think that we all have that problem. Just a little more tea, just a little more tea, repeat ad infinitum. Should we adopt the old anti-drug slogan “Just Say NO” Yeah, right :)

Nicole

Yeah, I have made it a week without buying tea. I consider that a victory since I have made out 3 online orders in that time and not followed through with them. :)

Terri HarpLady

Good girl! You have much more restraint than I do. I received a couple of nice payments on paypal last night, & the next thing you know I’m perusing yixing pots, tea, etc… I haven’t spent anything…yet…I might allow myself a small present…or not!

This is how you end up with 400+ teas in your collection, BTW, although due to good behavior I’m somewhere below 350 right now, I think.
I did place a Verdant order a few days ago, because I had tea cash to spend by the 28th, haha

Nicole

LOL… I always feel better when I hear about some of the stashes others on Steepster have. I haven’t counted but most of what I have is in my cupboard here and I’m not even at 100. I just feel excessive since they are almost exclusively blacks… My last order was a must place though so it doesn’t count – I had to pick up Golden Fleece while it was still in stock. So my most recent order was with Verdant as well. :)

Terri HarpLady

My stash is very Black Tea heavy as well.
Now I’m sitting on Camellea Sinensis’ website…lol

looseTman

“I just feel excessive since they are almost exclusively blacks…”
“My stash is very Black Tea heavy as well.”
Is there a problem with that? :-)

Terri HarpLady

Nicole, I didn’t realize you were in KC!! We’re neighbors!

Nicole

I know! And some time I’ll make it over your way. Coworker is having a wedding reception over your way in April I think… not sure when exactly though. I can bring a tin of FS for you when I come. :)

That would be awesome!
Tony comes to KC for a few days each month. He keeps inviting me to come with him, so one of these weeks I’ll have to come & meet you & TeaTiff!

Nicole

That would be schweet! :)

A tea party :)

Nicole

You read my mind!! I have been contemplating having a tea party and inviting all the KC Steepster peeps. I see no reason why the St. Louis ones can’t be included. :) We’ll have to think on timing… :)

Who else is in KC?
As far as I know I’m the only Steepsterite in St. Louis, although I brag about steepster to my friends all the time, LOL.

Nicole

Me, TeaTiff, Amanda Wilson, JustJames & used to be wombatgirl but she hasn’t been online in ages. Not sure if there is anyone else.

Nicole

Gah, make that JustJohn. :)

Nicole

Oh, and Azzrian is within driving distance but also hasn’t been online in ages.

Terri HarpLady

Cool! When I decide to come over there with Tony, I’ll let you guys know. He usually drives there on a monday, meets with clients tues & weds, & then comes home on a thurs. The hardest part for me will be scheduling make up lessons for all of my student, but it would be nice to get away for a few days.

From the Round 3 Here’s Hoping TTB

Wow… I like. This is bready and malty with a good bit of heft. This is definitely a tea to get you up and moving in the morning. Lots of strength with no bitterness or astringency. It could easily handle milk and sugar, but I drank my cup plain and found it really enjoyable. This one could easily find its way into my cupboard at a future date.

HHTTB Round 3

This one has a lovely bready, malty quality to it. I also get a bit of chocolate, though only a hint. I bet if I were to take the many suggestions here to steep it at 3 minutes I would get more chocolate flavor, but I’ll refrain since then there wouldn’t be any left for the next person. Definitely glad I got to try this one though.

TeaTiff was nice enough to send me a generous sample of this tea. It says on their website that this tea is from Yunnan, but the leaves look Taiwanese to me. They have that long, twisty, spindly look and they’re quite dark. Smells strongly of dry, unsweetened cocoa and honey with some maltiness.

Initially, I followed the directions on Hugo Tea’s website and steeped for 4 minutes. The aroma was malty with honey, but there was also a kind of peppery, herbaceous quality that reminded me of fennel seed. And it turns out, that’s exactly what it tastes like too! Very similar to pumpernickel or rye bread with a strong fennel seed taste, along with some malt and an aftertaste of dry cocoa. Wow, this tea is so unique-tasting! I kept taking sips just to experience the fennel phenomenon again!

After reading some of the notes on here, I decided to also try a 3 minute steep since a lot of people did that and mentioned more chocolate and caramel notes. Aroma was more cocoa and honey and less fennel this time. It definitely tasted less fennel-y, but I didn’t really find a lot more cocoa or honey in there. So I definitely prefer the 4 minute steep! And it’s much more honeyed with just a small amount of sugar. Pumpernickel bread with honey smeared over the top, mmmm!

Flavors: Cocoa, Fennel Seed, Honey, Malt, Rye

I should try it at 4 min. Sadly it’s at home:(

Cameron B.

Well, definitely try it if you don’t hate fennel seeds. :P It’s quite unique.

Nicole

I got no fennel at all! Strange how some flavors are common across notes and some are not. :) Last time Hugo Tea responded to one of my reviews they said it was a blend of Yunnans so maybe some of them look like Taiwanese leaves! :)

Cameron B.

It’s probably just a variety of Yunnan that I’ve never seen. All of the other ones I’ve had have been somewhat thin, curly leaves. :P

T&C TTB Tea # 9 – Backlog May 24

I had been interested in trying this one based on everyone else’s reviews. My first attempt was a failure because I brought it to the movies in my stainless steel travel mug….stainless my ass. Those things soak up the taste of whatever you put in them, so now mine is basically a mishmash of all the flavoured teas it has previously contained. I will clearly have to get one for black teas.

I tried to get something out of it but with no luck, the mug just ruined it. I couldn’t even tell what colour it was, it was basically a decent, nondescript black tea. And that was me, nondescribing it.

I did try again with the rest of the leaf, it brewed up a dark liquor, malty with very noticable toasty and roasty notes. Slightly fruity.

I drank it after drinking a fruit smoothie so I’m not sure if that affected anything.

(overleafed a bit, 3 min @ 96 degrees)

I would like to try again sometime! Though I can’t recall if this company has reasonable shipping costs to Canada or not.

OMGsrsly

I like that. Nondescribing a nondescript tea. :D

MzPriss

That’s a shame. And it’s why I avoid stainless for tea. I LOVE this tea, one of my favorites.

TeaTiff

Oh man, I love this one too. I do find that I can’t drink it if I am expecting a punch in the face kinda tea. For me it is definitely lighter than I expect.

boychik

I love it. Give it another try.

whatshesaid

I definitely will if I ever bump into it again!

Hugo Tea Company

@whatshesaid. This makes me so sad!

Try brewing the tea with less leaf but for a longer period of time. 96 C should be a good temperature.

Full-Steam is smoother than most breakfast-style black teas. And I’ve definitely met folks who think the smoothness makes the tea bland overall. To each their own! I’m just happy that you gave it a try.

We do ship to Canada. Just send a message through our site if you’re ever interested.

Thanks a bunch for the support.

Hugo Tea Company

I took this tea to work today – thought I would drink a cup or two and toss the rest back in the box. That didn’t happen. This is fabulous and I drank it all day. It’s big and bold. I didn’t get any chocolate, but it was malty and caramel ? toffee? dunno – something sweet.
I really like this. I don’t think it’s really complex, but it’s interesting enough to drink all day. It’s a great tea that take abuse well – that’s a must for me at work. All in all I was really happy with this one.

SSTTB

It’s soo good!

Cavocorax

I’ve really been impressed with all the Hugo teas!

boychik

sadly they dont have any promos

Hugo Tea Company

@Dexter—thanks for the kind works. Full-Steam is the tea that I’m personally the most proud of. We certainly had to go the furthest out of our way to acquire it. It’s made exclusively for us at the farm. And it’s what I drink every day.

Thanks sincerely for the support.

Hugo Tea Company

I drank this tea while waiting for the plumber to arrive this morning…
feeling anxious that it wouldn’t be a simple fix.
This tea (from my swap with TeaTiff-THANK YOU!!), immediately stopped my mind from swirling with worry…
How can you worry when you’re sipping something like this?!
Malty, with chocolate notes…and so, so smooth.
I love teas with this sort of mouth feel and deep aroma.

The fix was a simple one. The plumber was in and out in no time…and after he left, I looked at my tea cup and said, “You knew, didn’t you? You were trying to tell me to calm down.” Tea is so smart.

boychik

This tea is truly something. TeaTiff got me hooked on it too

DeliriumsFrogs

It’s so lovely! I reached into my tea drawer and just sort of picked it out, and I’m so very happy I chose it this morning, and felt so fortunate that TeaTiff sent me some! Yummy!

TeaTiff

Yay! I am glad you guys like this one. It is one of my favorite morning cups.

ifjuly

ugh i am the same way when the plumber comes! i’m glad it wasn’t too bad, and also selfishly relieved i’m not the only one who freaks a bit at that.

Hugo Tea Company

@DeliriumsFrogs I hope that you are implying that Full-Steam will solve all of your problems. Because I would agree. :-)

I am sincerely happy that you enjoy it.

DeliriumsFrogs

Tyler, that is most definitely what I was implying. :)
(I had it this morning, and it was just as good as I remembered….What an amazing tea!)

1922 tasting notes

SSTTB

This is a malty, malty cup. Definitely my favourite of all the Hugo teas I have tried. Robust but not astringent or bitter. It also has a hint of sweetness that borders on the edge of caramel. Yum!

In other news, I have a 7 pound Yorkie who grunts. Full-on grunts like a pig. Lately she has a new trick of burying her cookies in the backyard which results in three things: (1) she gets covered in mud, (2) our other two dogs fight her for the cookies, and (3) other animals (i.e. raccoons) try to come into our yard in search of cookies. In light of that, my step-dad and my Yorkie are now fighting because he won’t let her outside to bury her cookie. Her response? A steady stream of angry grunts.

Cavocorax

You now have? Did you just get this puppy? My mom is obsessed with Yorkie’s. I prefer bigger dogs, but I can see why people would love those yappy balls of fluff.

VariaTEA

No. We have had her for 9 years now. One Yorkie and two Pomeranians. We used to have a German Shepherd in the mix as well but she passed away a while back. We always say we want to get another big dog but that has not happened yet. Maybe now that I am back home though, I can talk my Mom into it :P

This is one of my go-to morning teas and right now I’m going to it. And it is good. See previous notes for more.

Cheri

While I want to try all the teas, I also just love having teas that are my go to for whatever teas. I have go to comfort teas and sleepy time teas, but I am still really looking for a go to morning tea.

boychik

Cheri, I absolutely adore this tea. When in doubt, sad or happy always delivers. I HEART Yunnan everything.

MzPriss

I have several go-tos, including this and Special Dark and quite a few others. I also have a deep live for the Yunnans

Love. Not live.

TeaTiff

I love this tea! Cheri did I send you a sample with the milk oolongs? I usually send this to everyone, but I think at the time I noticed you weren’t digging blacks. Let me know if you are interested in a sample and I can send some your way.

MzPriss

It really helps if you have any tiger-taming you need to do

Cheri

TeaTiff You didn’t send this one to me. I’m trying black teas now, and I’ve found a few I like. Slowly….