Golden Yunnan

Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle Szetela
Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 255 oz / 7541 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From In Pursuit of Tea

This black tea is made in southern China, and consists of tender buds and leaves from a large leaf variety. When oxidized, these silky buds turn a beautiful golden color and yield a smooth, caramel and woody flavor, with notes of mint. The scent of tobacco and eucalyptus lasts through multiple infusions.

About In Pursuit of Tea View company

As some other tasters have noted, this is certainly a high quality tea.. However, it was not for me. It is a very strong, tobacco-y yunnan. The earthiness is nice, but the tannins are also very present, which gives it a little more acidity than I like.
I would suggest this tea to anyone who likes a tea with complex flavor that still packs a punch!

After a restless night, I chose this black tea as my first cup from my Steepster Select box. I opened the packet, usually good for one cup, and noticed the amount inside was much more than what I usually use for a cup, so I may have been conservative on the first steeping. I also steeped it to recommended directions, whereas I would probably steep a black for longer.

With that being said, the cup came out light and somewhat crisp, like a silver needle white tea, but with the sweet undertones that reminded me of an English Breakfast tea.

Though I used less than recommended, it is clear that this is not a strong black tea. I prefer much bolder, stronger black teas and was expecting that, I did find it enjoyable. I’ll be sure to try again with more tea and perhaps a longer steeping time.

Nice aftertaste not bitter

VISUAL: The dry tea leaves are gorgeous! Golden and green and feathered like dried flower petals. The tea itself brews to a beautiful rich dark caramel color. Surprising considering how light golden and green the dried tea is.

SMELL: I was surprised by this one, the first whiff smells very similar to an Assam tea like Irish Breakfast, although with more subtletea. Smelling more carefully reveals more floral and sweeter notes of a Chinese black tea.

TASTE: Oh wow YUM. It’s more delicate than teas from India, and like BrewTEAlly Sweet mentioned, not at all brisk. Others have already described this one perfectly, tobacco leaf and rich sweetness. Very smooth and creamy mouth feel.

PREPARATION: 16 oz of water, just off a boil, steeped for 2 minutes (stopped short of the recommended time because it tasted pretty perfect already). I don’t generally add any sugar to my fine teas but tried it on the recommendation of my fellow steepsters Michael Cutillo and Julie Stiles. A pinch of sugar did bring out the flavor nicely. Thanks! (For my second steeping I left the sugar out, call me a purist).

Oh goodness, this tea is delicious! This first brew i accidentally oversteeped by a bit, but i added a little sugar, and NOM. you mustn’t mind the round, thick, full, honey- and tobacco-esque richness, or you’ll never love this tea. definitely a mouthful! i’ll update if i get in another steep today BUT i’ve spent the morning on another tea, i may have to draw the line here, since this one is REALLY making it’s presence known. YUM!

ON EDIT: nope, had to have a second cup. EVEN BETTER! i’m loving this one, it’s just so rich and creamy, full and thick. i just don’t know how to describe it. important thing to note, however, is that before i added the 1/2 tsp or so of sugar, it wasn’t near as amazing. just accept that this is one of those needs sugar teas, and you won’t go wrong. in fact, based on second brew, i’m ranking this in my tops.

So I actually made this last night after my disappointment with the Caramel Vanilla Assam. Wanted something new and different and I remembered I had pulled this from my Dec Steepster box to try.
Opening the package I get a peppery, oddly minty smell. Which I wasn’t expecting at all. I had to give it another sniff just to be sure.
Since there was 2tsp/2.5 tsp, I just used the whole package with 12oz of water.
Steeped this at first had a….dusky smell to it is the best description I can come up with for it. Maybe hay? Chocolate? Something cooked, but not exactly smoked/burnt/roasted. Hard to describe exactly. I could probly just keep smelling the brew to figure it out. Lol.
First sip is sweet, but not in a sugary sort of way. I get the peppery taste that people mention. And definitely what I’m guessing is the tobacco. (Not having any sort of contact with tobacco/stuff of the sort I couldn’t say that this is what I’m tasting.)
At first I thought that ‘well, this isn’t bad’, but the more I’m sipping at it, the more ill drinking this tea is making me feel. So the cup ended up being poured out not even half drunk. Which is disappointing, but so it goes.
I probly should have but I didn’t even try a second steep since the first made me feel so rotten. Bleh.

Flavors: Tobacco

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Steepster select box that my friend insisted on sharing with me, though I had signed her up for it. I have to say, i’m a little disappointed. The price seems a little on the high side of things for what is only 10 cups of tea. Ignoring the re-steepability, that’s still 2.5 per cup with other boxes like verdant’s reserve club that gave you much more tea each month. I like the number of teas…but for 25$ i’d expect teas that knocked my socks off. This was a nice tea, but i’ve had other yunnans that were nicer or at least just as nice. Cocoa-y and malty and smooth….and a lovely cup to drink, but for that price? just didn’t live up to my expectation. I think i’d be less inclined to pick it up now when/if it becomes available simply because i expect it will cost even more to ship outside the US.

Nice, smooth tea.

Flavors: Honey

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Lovely and mild. Slightly sweet and just a tingle of earthy sour. Nice afternoon pick me up.

Flavors: Caramel, Earth, Flowers, Honey

A very smooth, but tasty example of Yunnan. Earthy, with a coppery finish. I didn’t get the sweetness described on the package, but I did really like this tea.