Golden Yunnan

Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle Szetela
Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 149 oz / 4402 ml

Available from 1 seller.

From In Pursuit of Tea

This black tea is made in southern China, and consists of tender buds and leaves from a large leaf variety. When oxidized, these silky buds turn a beautiful golden color and yield a smooth, caramel and woody flavor, with notes of mint. The scent of tobacco and eucalyptus lasts through multiple infusions.

About In Pursuit of Tea View company

So I actually made this last night after my disappointment with the Caramel Vanilla Assam. Wanted something new and different and I remembered I had pulled this from my Dec Steepster box to try.
Opening the package I get a peppery, oddly minty smell. Which I wasn’t expecting at all. I had to give it another sniff just to be sure.
Since there was 2tsp/2.5 tsp, I just used the whole package with 12oz of water.
Steeped this at first had a….dusky smell to it is the best description I can come up with for it. Maybe hay? Chocolate? Something cooked, but not exactly smoked/burnt/roasted. Hard to describe exactly. I could probly just keep smelling the brew to figure it out. Lol.
First sip is sweet, but not in a sugary sort of way. I get the peppery taste that people mention. And definitely what I’m guessing is the tobacco. (Not having any sort of contact with tobacco/stuff of the sort I couldn’t say that this is what I’m tasting.)
At first I thought that ‘well, this isn’t bad’, but the more I’m sipping at it, the more ill drinking this tea is making me feel. So the cup ended up being poured out not even half drunk. Which is disappointing, but so it goes.
I probly should have but I didn’t even try a second steep since the first made me feel so rotten. Bleh.

Flavors: Tobacco

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

Steepster select box that my friend insisted on sharing with me, though I had signed her up for it. I have to say, i’m a little disappointed. The price seems a little on the high side of things for what is only 10 cups of tea. Ignoring the re-steepability, that’s still 2.5 per cup with other boxes like verdant’s reserve club that gave you much more tea each month. I like the number of teas…but for 25$ i’d expect teas that knocked my socks off. This was a nice tea, but i’ve had other yunnans that were nicer or at least just as nice. Cocoa-y and malty and smooth….and a lovely cup to drink, but for that price? just didn’t live up to my expectation. I think i’d be less inclined to pick it up now when/if it becomes available simply because i expect it will cost even more to ship outside the US.

Nice, smooth tea.

Flavors: Honey

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Lovely and mild. Slightly sweet and just a tingle of earthy sour. Nice afternoon pick me up.

Flavors: Caramel, Earth, Flowers, Honey

A very smooth, but tasty example of Yunnan. Earthy, with a coppery finish. I didn’t get the sweetness described on the package, but I did really like this tea.

Backlog:

My second tea from the December Steepster Select box. A fantastic Yunnan. Rich with notes of tobacco, earth and leather. I love the complexity of this tea. I taste layers of honey and malt. There is also a low note of caramel and a hint of cacao that weaves its way through the sip.

A really yummy Yunnan. Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/12/28/golden-yunnan-black-tea-pursuit-tea/

Disappointed by the lack of depth in this tea. I was expecting more forward flavors, but really all I got was a trace of tannin and a thought of smokiness in the aftertaste. Tasted a bit mass-market to me, don’t know if I would seek out again. 3.5/10, may drink again because I have another sample, but would not recommend.

This is a very classic Golden Yunnan. I enjoyed it. It has lovely honey notes that really appealed to me :)