Kuki Hojicha

Earth, Hops, Roasted Barley, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by Shinobi_cha
Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 oz / 200 ml

From Ippodo

When you drink hojicha for the first time, you might be surprised that it is one of the Japanese green teas. Dark amber in color, this roasted bancha releases an amazingly rich aroma that completely permeates the room. The savory flavor is very distinct; it is rich but light-bodied, without much astringency.

Low in caffeine, hojicha can be enjoyed in the evening as well as in the morning or afternoon. It tastes great on its own, with sweets, or accompanying a meal. Flavorful and refreshing, hojicha is an absolute favorite among Ippodo patrons. It can also be enjoyed chilled!

For the hojicha enthusiast, we offer Kuki Hojicha – a stem-version of hojicha. With all the charms of regular hojicha, Kuki Hojicha adds a richness that is found only in stems. If you love the taste of hojicha, then this is a must-try.

About Ippodo View company

Maybe it’s been a while since I’ve had houjicha, but the aroma that came from the teacups was excellent, and mostly, a lot stronger than I expected. Usually I have to put my nose in the teapot to take in a nice aroma— here, it felt like the whole kitchen had been filled (at least momentarily) with a delicious roasted aroma.

And this houjicha is perhaps the best example I’ve had of a tea that has been successfully roasted to the point of caramelization. The first cup or two I drank hot, but used the majority of the kettle I brewed to make a big pitcher iced. It is delicious either way, but I almost think I prefer it hot, since the aroma is even better. Either way, this is definitely some of the best I’ve had.

As for Ippodo as a whole, this was my first order, and everything about them is really impressive. The way they wrap the teas, the info. packets they provide about brewing, about the company and products… they are all excellently and professionally made. You can tell they put a lot of care and thought to every detail.

sherubtse

I have been thinking about ordering some houjicha for the summer. It will be a nice change from all of the senchas I have been sucking back lately.

Glad to hear you were impressed with the co. I have thought about ordering sencha from them, but am not thrilled that they only allow EMS shipping and have no PayPal option at checkout.

But, who knows?

Shinobi_cha

Yes, only EMS will certainly limit the number of times I would potentially order from them, but I totally understand why they would chose to do that as a business. It is strange that they don’t allow PayPal, since that does seem to be a fairly standard option.

I often like to have another kind of tea around (other than sencha) so I can change things up…. houjicha, gyokuro, or some kind of unrelated black tea. Though, that sometimes means I just drink sencha and the other …. :-)

CHAroma

Sorry, what’s EMS?

Shinobi_cha

Express Mail Service – the expensive option of shipping (I’ve only seen it from Japan but it may be used elsewhere); usually starting at 1200 JPY ($15). But it is fast and insured. Some Japanese companies offer only EMS as a shipping method because SAL (surfaced air mail) while cheap, can be unreliable.

sherubtse

Some companies (e.g., O-Cha) also offer 1st class airmail, which is my preferred shipping option. It is quick and (relatively) cheap.

Shinobi_cha

Ah, I didn’t know there was another type. (Or, I assume 1st class airmail is the same as SAL). I have ordered from O-cha and used the cheaper option before, I but I don’t believe it was insured.

sherubtse

The cheaper option from O-Cha is not insured. But it is quick, taking just 2-3 days longer than EMS. And, it is faster than SAL (albeit more expensive as well).

CHAroma

Cool, thanks for the info!

Cole

Miss your musings, bud! Let me know if you ever decide to order from Ippodo again — there’s a laundry list of things I’d like to try but could never afford by my lonesome :)

Shinobi_cha

Hey Cole! Mostly, I just use teachat now. I like steepster, but decided I didn’t enjoy it enough to keep writing. Wanted to just enjoy tea as it is without thinking about how I’d write about it. And on teachat, they have cool tea tasting initiatives where you get to try a bunch of teas for cheap. ‘OTTI’ it’s called – check it out!

Expensive offering from Ippodo i thought. This Hojicha was nothing special for a roasted tea and I fel it was overated. I prefer making my own which is easy.

Awesome tea. Really like the flavor and aroma. It also have a very low caffein level, so you can drink it whenever you want. Totally recommended!

Flavors: Earth, Hops, Roasted Barley, Tobacco