Ummon-no-mukashi is the highest quality matcha by Ippodo.
To appreciate its flavor and aroma to the full, Ippodo recommends to prepare this tea as a thicker koicha.
It tastes best when served with sweets.
- Beautiful matcha, in appearance and quality and color.
- Foams easily and easy to sift.
- Deeply strong green aroma.
- Could be but not recommended as a daily matcha.
- Perfect to have some sweets after to take away the bitterness. (I have a chocolate covered cream and caramel I like to take afterwards.)
Another elegant matcha by Ippodo, it has the characteristics of the great elements you can expect in high quality. Ummon-no-mukashi is intensely richer, has more flavor packed with complexity, and is so much less bitter. There is more caffeine punch, definitely strong this one!
As for me, I love the creaminess and foam, the color, and fragrance. If your tastes goes more towards serious intense green and hints of bitter, then this is highly recommended.
Quantity of Matcha Powder:1.5 heaping of tea ladle/chasaku
Quantity of Hot Water: 60ml
Temperature of Hot Water: 80°C
Time of whisking: 15 seconds
Please see my full review with photos: