Sencha Hosen

Edit tea info Last updated by Siberia

From Ippodo

An Asamushi sencha.

About Ippodo View company

Un thé de qualité et très abordable. Parfais pour ceux qui veulent s’initier à la saveur umani et au thé japonais

150 °F / 65 °C
Mathieu La Manna

Très vrai, pas onéreux donc accessible en plus d’être savoureux, une note
fruité s’en échappe lorsqu’on l’infuse!

Sencha Hosen: by ippodo tea.

So I had this tea laying around for a few months. So I guess I never reviewed it lol. Here you go.

Review:

Ru Yao dragon teapot gongfucha.

Dry leaf: green, grass.

Wet leaf: sweet grass, freshly cut grass, sweet, veggies, seafood (?).

Light steep; I taste/smell: light -> asparagus, sweet grass, veggies,
Peaches (?), Medium -> bitterness (somewhat pleasant), freshly cut grass.
(Forgot photo: it was nothing much. Almost a lime green. )

Medium steep; I taste/smell: light peaches (?). medium -> asparagus, sweet grass, veggies, bitterness (meh) freshly cut grass.

(•groans•… Must I do a heavy steep? This tea is stale and not too fresh. I blame myself for forgetting about it. But review I must. At least the flecks around the teapot look pretty. )

Heavy steep; I taste/smell; light -> peaches (?), asparagus, sweet grass, freshly cut grass. Medium to strong bitterness. (This steep did not turn out nearly as bad as I thought it would)

All in all a nice tea even though it’s kind of stale and not too fresh. (I still blame myself for not reviewing it sooner) ok flavours and aromas. Weird cha qi. I rate a 75. only because it was yummy when it was fresh. Otherwise, I would rate a 50.

I’m not sure if I ordered this or if it was a gift from Paola Mannaro.

Bonus photos:

Flavors: Asparagus, Bitter, Freshly Cut Grass, Grass, Green, Sweet, Vegetal

200 °F / 93 °C 7 g 6 OZ / 165 ML

Ippodo tea indicates that Sencha should be steeped for 60 seconds at 176 F (80 C). Suggested ration of tea to water is 2 Tbsp (yes, Tbsp!) to 7 ounces (210ml) of water. To cool water to the proper temperature, Ippodo suggests transferring the water once by first pouring into a cup and then the tea pot. A second and third pot can also be brewed at 176 F (80 C) water with no steeping time.

I had a WONDERFUL cup of cold-brewed Hosen at the Ippodo shop in Kyoto. I think that this was the first time I understood the meaning of “umami” – it was unlike anything I’ve ever tasted. Any Japanese green tea can be cold-brewed by steeping 2 Tbsp in 7 ounces of chilled water for 15 minutes. A second and third pot can be prepared by brewing the second pot for 7 minutes and the third for 3 minutes.

170 °F / 76 °C 1 min, 0 sec 10 g 7 OZ / 207 ML

Its aroma has most of the good things about a Sencha’s aroma. While its taste is powerful,. hinting at Umami flavors, but very plesant.