Aged Beauty 1979

Oolong Tea
Ash, Bark, Dirt, Grass, Herbs, Medicinal, Pepper, Peppercorn, Sarsaparilla
Edit tea info Last updated by Sammerz314

From J-TEA

This aged Eastern Beauty was originally produced for export over 30 years ago. It was a tea that was to be sold to foreign markets. Some of this tea stayed behind and it has developed over time. Now there are medicinal flavors as well as some fungal undertones. The tea has everything that a good aged oolong should have, but the leaf appearance is not the most desirable. Other than the leaf appearance, this tea is spectacular. Leave it up to us, at J-TEA, to bring this tea to its intended destination. No good tea will be left behind.

About J-TEA View company

Down to my last vestiges of this. I’ve had this tea for almost a year now; I’m surprised I held onto it this long. It was the first aged oolong I ever tried. Can’t say I recognize any remnants of its Oriental Beauty heritage…but it’s still quite fantastic in its own right. The Taiwanese measure tea by the overall sensation, not just taste. And with this one, I can see why.

At first, on initial taste, the aged nature of it is a little oft-putting. But done with short steeps over a period of minutes, it lends something unique and wonderfully medicinal. Oh, and I happen to like the taste of “ancient Buddhist calm”. I can dig it.

I’m at the start of the busiest day at work I’ve had in awhile, and I needed a li’l happy juice calm. Already on my second mug.

Bonnie

Now that’s old! If I wasn’t so old already, I’d give aging oolongs a go. Fort Collins has a perfect climate for aging oolongs. It’s high and dry. (Not so great for Puerh without a humidor).

Geoffrey Norman

You have to give aged oolongs a try. They’ll get you tea-drunk like a partying Buddhist in ten seconds flat.

Bonnie

I already have brain issues…would be easy to do. I have a 1998 puerh and laoshan white which are my instant party in a cup tea’s. Most puerhs mello out my fibromyalgia symptoms in the brain which transfers to relief in my body. I wish I could work with a researcher on this.

Interesting tea. Earthy, reminiscing of Humus, but not too Earthy. The description of Bell Peppers above is Perfect! I would say the notes of Bell Peppers is the prominent feature of this tea!

Parameters:
Teapot : Yixing 180ml
Temperature : 185 F
Steep Time : 15 sec
Tea Quantity : 6 g

From the aged oolong group buy

This one is really interesting. Tastes like I pulled a fresh beet out of the ground and juiced it

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Somehow my review for this didn’t post and I just noticed while updating my cupboard…

Anyways, this is clearly one exceptionally stored tea. Being that I am not a fan of OB, that is some strong words. This taste like a light version of the 90’s red mark sheng from W2T; not even a slight exaggeration. This is just a beautiful tea all around that provides some nice notes that I am unable to describe to anyone who hasn’t drank a 20’year sheng (which I can say this is like the 98 mark as well).
I don’t suggest many teas because I know how important money and spending is, but out of all the aged oolong I’ve had (beside the 89’ from Tea Urchin)…. I highly suggest buying some of this. You won’t find such a beautifully stored and aged OB that brews at such ease with such the flavor profile that this has.
I’d love to be proved wrong as I always love me some new tea :)

Daylon R Thomas

I wish I had the Pu-Erh sampler you gave to remember if I have that or not. I’m still on the border with most Pu-Erh’s so far. Megan’s Gold and Moonlight Sonata are the only ones that are on or past loved, but they are both blends and one is technically considered as a white tea. Perhaps I’ll ask for a sample in the next time I buy from J-Tea…which will be a while. The ounce of Drunken Dragon was the only thing I got from my first order. Should have asked for some samples then. Otherwise, a lot of the teas are outside my price range.

Daylon R Thomas

“in the next time”-Bad editing, but grammatically correct.

Liquid Proust

Next time we swap, I’ll make sure to ruin your taste buds like always and make your wallet look smaller :)

Daylon R Thomas

:) And this time, you’re getting better tea. I was debating if I wanted to throw in the Indian Marigold or not since you would probably have the exact same reaction that I did, and because I vanilla’d the HELL out of it. Anyway, would you be interested in some of the Eco-Cha Dong Ding (which is kinda similar to the Buffalo but more chestnut-y and cashew like) and the WP Moonlight Sonata?

Daylon R Thomas

I probably won’t send it for a little bit because I have a few more teas coming in before I consolidate which ones I’ll keep and which one’s I’ll give out/sample.

Daylon R Thomas

Duh, I did try this one.

Zennenn

LP, what were the flavors you found with this tea? I’m working my way through the aged oolongs you were kind enough to send and I am trying to figure out what I’m tasting. Thanks!

Thank you Andrew for a chance to try this one! Well, I’m still having a hard time getting into aged teas. I’m getting the same ash-bark-dirt flavor from the other aged oolong I had, only that one had more cherry notes. This one is mega herbal. J-Tea’s description is accurate: fungal, root like, herbal, medicinal, and similar to sarsaparilla. As it cools down, it’s peppery. I’m definitely feeling the chi though…or I had too much tea. ’Cause you know. Habits.

I still need to try more aged teas (Aged Bao Zhong 1984, you’re my main target if you do taste like almond milk and wine). I would drink this one more for energy or even medicinal reasons. Would probably help with a cold or act as a potent detox (that’s just something I personally found from experience, though there are studies about oolong generally being a detox agent).

I also know for certain that J-Tea’s descriptions are accurate, making them a vendor I will certainly try more of.

Flavors: Ash, Bark, Dirt, Grass, Herbs, Medicinal, Pepper, Peppercorn, Sarsaparilla

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Here is another aged tea that my dog tried to eat…

Definitely getting sick today. Blah. My nose is only mildly runny, but I’m sure it’s affecting my senses at least a little bit.

The leaves look nothing like an oriental beauty. They’re all black, and don’t have that mixed “calico” tea look. I did do a quick rinse. The tea liquor becomes colored very fast, like puerh-fast, which surprised me.

This is an unusual type of tea, for sure…But I wasn’t a huge fan. I also did get a note of green peppers when I first brewed this tea, some black pepper, there was also an earthiness, some mushroom-y notes, and a lot of clay/pottery…A chalky flavor without the dry texture, if that makes sense (ETA: this is called “minerality”, duh). I’ll definitely try this again when this cold passes. I’ll be brewing a lot of flavored teas until then, I guess.

Kittenna

I am also sick. It’s awful. Boo to colds!

CharlotteZero

Feel better soon! Mine’s on track to be gone just in time for work on Monday. :-(

Dark Earth, notes of bell pepper, morel mushrooms