Orange Peel, Organic Black Tea, Vanilla Bean
Cream, Orange, Vanilla, Malt, Orange Blossom, Orange Zest
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Bear With Me

• “A mock orange tea latte sounded like a good idea just now, so I went for it without giving it any further thought. I say _mock_ because I just pour a bunch of half and half into my mug, and voila,...” Read full tasting note
    fjellrev 835 tasting notes
  • “As always, a visit to Janet's left me with a grin on my face and a slightly lighter wallet. If you're in Victoria and haven't stopped in to Janet's Special Teas in Sidney (on Beacon Ave), you don't...” Read full tasting note
    Ceylon Star 78 tasting notes
  • “I got this tea yesterday, on a pilgrimage to Janet's out in Sidney...I got four little $1 sample pouches, and this was one. Her words were like it is orange creamsicle flavoured....so orange and...” Read full tasting note
    heathermartin 611 tasting notes
  • “WOOO!!! Thanks, *Ceylon Star*! Smells SO GOOD. Like an Orange Julius, almost. Yeah. If an Orange Julius were a tea, I think this might be it. Will probably update more in comments later. Must flee!” Read full tasting note
    OMGsrsly 1518 tasting notes

From Janet's Special Teas

Product description not available yet.

About Janet's Special Teas View company

A mock orange tea latte sounded like a good idea just now, so I went for it without giving it any further thought. I say mock because I just pour a bunch of half and half into my mug, and voila, latte.

This tea is lusciously fragrant. Heaps and heaps of orange peel, with a subtle creaminess in the background.

As soon as I poured the water and let it start steeping, it triggered thoughts of sipping on Fauchon’s Un Soir de France. Must be the orange peel. And that it is! The first sip is all about the same orange flavour profile that Un Soir has going on. This is just missing the roses and barely-there apricot.

And the half and half enhances that smooth creaminess. I wouldn’t call it an orange creamsicle. Maybe more like a white chocolate orange truffle.

Then after a few more sips I grabbed my bottle of organic vanilla extract and let some dribble into the tea. Excellence.

Courtney

Nice addition with the vanilla extract.

orange and vanilla = delicious..

Fjellrev

Especially when it’s done correctly. I was worried this would be too much like generic orange-flavoured bagged tea.

Amariel

It is super yummy and I need to make this with milk next.

Fjellrev

Do it! I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

As always, a visit to Janet’s left me with a grin on my face and a slightly lighter wallet. If you’re in Victoria and haven’t stopped in to Janet’s Special Teas in Sidney (on Beacon Ave), you don’t know what you’re missing! Janet, the owner, is a total hoot, and treats everyone like family. She’s truly passionate about the tea she sells and offers generous sample pouches for $1 (with enough leaf for at LEAST 3 cups). She’s even been known to bring in teas that she wouldn’t normally carry for customers who request it, so don’t be afraid to ask if you don’t see what you’re looking for.

But on to the tea itself. I LOVE orange teas, and orange juice. Which is funny because I can’t stand oranges (but I’ll happily eat a whole grapefruit) or creamsicles. But I do make my own “creamsicles” every summer, using tea and condensed milk. And that’s actually the main reason I picked up 50g of this tea.

I generally make my creamsicles out of DAVIDs Orange Blossom rooibos, but after experimenting last year, I found that rooibos just doesn’t make the nicest popsicles, it’s just not strong enough. So when my lovely hostages, I mean tea companions, asked to sniff the Dolce Orange, I couldn’t resist grabbing some to play around with. I brewed up some double strength when I got home, then split it into two parts. I added 2 TBSP of condensed milk to one part, and 2 TBSP of vanilla simple syrup to the other (when making popsicles you really do need to add sweetener. The extreme cold of freezing the tea cuts a lot of the flavour, and the sweetener helps to highlight the flavour of the tea and make it pop despite the coldness, without being overwhelmingly sweet). Poured into popsicle molds and put them in the deep freeze overnight. Wehn I finally crawled out of bed at 2pm, and despite the below freezing temperatures outside, I grabbed one of each pops and tested them. The creaminess of the vanilla in the tea, mixed with the smoothness of the black base, the pops really didn’t need the condensed milk! I prefer them with just the vanilla syrup, actually. In fact, next time I’ll cut the syrup in half and do just 1 TBSP.

Of course, after testing the popsicles, I had to warm up, so I made a cup of this hot. And by cup I mean my 750ml teapot-sized-mug, haha! 2 heaping tsp (so close to 1 TBSP I guess?) to 750ml of water, steeped for 2.5minutes at 175F. Beautiful orange liquor with a sweet and creamy scent very much like melted creamsicles. First sip was pure orange goodness with a bit of vanilla left on my breath at the end of the sip. As it cooled I got more vanilla notes, and a slightly malty black note as well. Janet mentioned Sri Lanka, but I don’t remember if she was referring to this or to the back based Sidney Sunrise (which I also picked up even though I have a bit of the rooibos base left. The black base just smells nicer, though I’ll keep the roobios based blend on hand for the sake of having a tasty caffeine free option. but I digress.), but I almost wonder if the base to this one is an assam?

I’ll definitely be popping over to the shop on Friday on my way to see the pony (since he’s boarded literally across the highway from Janet’s shop, so when he’s going good and steady in the cart I want to attempt to drive him over and tie him to a post outside her shop, haha) to get more, both for drinking and for popsicle making. This may be my favourite non-spiced orange tea, very slightly beating out the blood orange pu’erh I keep on hand.

Flavors: Cream, Malt, Orange Zest, Vanilla

Need to try this one someday :)

Bear With Me

I’ll make sure to add it to your box (seeing as there’s not a heck of a lot else I have TO add to it so far, haha!)

OMGsrsly

That sounds so good! :) I need to make another Island Pilgrimmage soon, I think.

Bear With Me

Let me know when and I’ll gladly play Taxi Driver :D The only downside is Janet’s closed sundays and mondays :( (and would you like me to throw a sample into your box with the carrot cake?)

OMGsrsly

Umm, ok! :) (Twist my rubber arm!) I’d probably end up coming over on a Saturday, just because most things are open..

I got this tea yesterday, on a pilgrimage to Janet’s out in Sidney…I got four little $1 sample pouches, and this was one. Her words were like it is orange creamsicle flavoured….so orange and vanilla. It did, indeed, smell like a creamsicle, and very much like DAVIDs Orange Blossom tea, minus the rooibos base and currants.

I did a full boil steep, but only for a few minutes. This tea, to me, is fine on it’s own with a little sweetener and no milk, though I may try it with milk one day to see how the creaminess plays in.

I did not find the base bitter or astringent at all, with this steeping, and the follow up steep I did later. I’ll see how the rest of my pouch goes, but I think that this is something I could keep regularly, or semi-regularly. Curious to see how it cold steeps with the warmer weather. I think it could be good.

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

WOOO!!! Thanks, Ceylon Star!

Smells SO GOOD. Like an Orange Julius, almost.

Bear With Me

Let me know if you’d like me to pick up some more for you :D

OMGsrsly

I kinda want to visit the store! Maybe once I drink my way back down from almost-300… O.o

Bear With Me

she’s closed sun/mon but if you come over one day I’ll gladly play taxi :D Janet is freaking AWESOME <3

Amariel

I need more of this one….it is soo good.

Amariel

She really is, and you can actually get $1 sample bags. Freaking awesome!