2009 Menghai "Zi Yun" Ripe Pu-erh tea

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by John Grebe

• “I wanted to note that I purchased this Purple Rhyme from Mandala Tea but since it is already in the database twice under two different sellers I didn't see any point in adding it again since it is...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2356 tasting notes
  • “I brewed this in the Gaiwan today. This is a very strong Pu-erh. The first steeping was somewhat fishy. I know I should rinse it. When I doused the leaves with boiling water for the second...” Read full tasting note
    chasmargate 293 tasting notes
  • “wow this little cake has blown my mind! i got 7 infusions from it before it finally gave up. smooth in all aspects one i will purchase again. the only downfall is about 20 us for 100 gram cake.” Read full tasting note
    mrmopar 195 tasting notes
  • “This tea has a very smooth almost creamy and sweet richness to it with the classic "Menghai scent" notes as one would expect for any Menghai ripe puerh. A very wonderful example quality ripe puerh...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 223 tasting notes

From JAS eTea

This is the one of the highest grade premium ripe teas released by Menghai tea factory for the year 2009! It is also the first release of this mini iron cake which is called “Purple Rhyme” (Zi Yun 紫韵). This is similar to the “Hong Yun” mini cake released in 2008, but slightly lighter fermentation.

Menghai tea factory is the foremost tea factory in Yunnan with more than 50 years of history. Their quality of their ripe pu-erhs have made them the undisputed King of Ripe Pu-erh. This collectable mini tea cake is composed of grade 3 and higher leaves, all smaller leaf fermented material with plenty of flavor to give up when brewed. When brewing keep infusion times very short in the beginning. Sure to be a classic due to its amazing textured flavor profile and limited production quantity.

About JAS eTea View company

I wanted to note that I purchased this Purple Rhyme from Mandala Tea but since it is already in the database twice under two different sellers I didn’t see any point in adding it again since it is the same tea and manufacturer. Bonus in ordering from Mandala is shipping is cheaper than from other places and yet they have a great selection of pu-erhs for a domestic company.

Pretty much figured when I bought this there was zero chance I wouldn’t like it because Menghai shu pu-erhs are becoming some of my favorites. I did rinse this and then gave it a 30 second steep in the gaiwan. The wet leaves are intensely aromatic of forest floor aroma and coffee grounds. Charles is right about this being a very dark shu but I am loving it. It has an almost creamy and rich quality with dark stone fruit flavors. I did my first two steeps for 30 seconds in the gaiwan and tossed them in together in the same glass mug. This is a very eye opening tea.

For steeps #3 and 4 they only required about 10 seconds of steeping time before the tea liquor became very dark and flavorful. To me it is very earthy, and shiitake mushroom like. This is a great substitute for coffee being quite dark and robust, but it also has no bitterness.

I also have one of the Menghai Red Rhyme 100 g cakes and I recall that being a little on the lighter and sweeter side but they are both quite good in my opinion. I am not a pu-erh expert, I just know what I like. :-)

Azzrian

This sounds really good and you did an excellent job explaining this tea! Thank you!

TeaBrat

thanks – I try my best, lol :)

mrmopar

the red rhyme is awesome i have bought 5 of them so far! i wish they came in a bigger cake.

I brewed this in the Gaiwan today. This is a very strong Pu-erh. The first steeping was somewhat fishy. I know I should rinse it. When I doused the leaves with boiling water for the second steeping the liquid becomes quite dark quickly. The fishiness is gone and the liquid is very robust even after a short steep. Flavors that I envision are old leather chairs in an old building with dark wood. To those who like Shu, you will love this. This is not for beginners. My GF would say it tastes like Chinese medicine. Well, maybe centuries ago this was.

TeaBrat

that sounds good, I got out of the pu-erh habit recently only because I like to take my time with them…

Charles Thomas Draper

You can always leave some for later….

TeaBrat

I should bring some to work with me, I drank my cheap pu-erh in teabags today… i have much better stuff. lol

humblemumble84

This is a favorite of mine

mrmopar

no doubt it is a special cke for sure!

This tea has a very smooth almost creamy and sweet richness to it with the classic “Menghai scent” notes as one would expect for any Menghai ripe puerh. A very wonderful example quality ripe puerh at its best with a light silky texture in a sweet mellow taste. Just be careful about using too little leaves the first time I brewed it I did and it came out a bit plain tasting and disappointing but the fault was mine and not the tea.

Since the reviewer did not purchase this tea from JAS-eTea, this review should be moved to the correct vendor.