Dan Cong Red Tea

Edit tea info Last updated by kuanyin

• “3/4 of the red tea sampler from jing tea shop. I wanted something this morning I could drink without additions. The leaves are very dark, thin and wiry. I put a pinch in my glass teapot and then...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2353 tasting notes
  • “This is a follow up to my last tasting note. Today I'm doing multiple short steeps in a gaiwan. These Dan Cong Red Tea leaves are quite long, so I expect them to be great for resteeping. Tasting...” Read full tasting note
    DMTea 318 tasting notes
  • “I want to update my previous note, as this tea has surpassed every other tea in my estimation. It just gets better and better. And I did want to say that, personally, I don't get any astringency. I...” Read full tasting note
    kuanyin 38 tasting notes
  • “I got my order today. I was so excited because I got 3 tea packages after "starvation" mode. This tea. It's very complex,changing from one steep to another. Gongfu method 4g 100 ml gaiwan...” Read full tasting note
    boychik 337 tasting notes

From jing tea shop

Origine : Er Mao Village, Wu Dong Mountain, Cha Zhou, Guang Dong Prvince
Harvesting: Spring 2011
Plantation attitude : About 500 meters above sea level
Tea varietals : Shui Xian
Grade : AA
Weight : 100gr/3.53oz
Dry leaves appearance : The leaves are in thin and long stripes. The black color leaves show a shinny red hint.

Fragrance : The leaves offer hot chocolate note with deep honey sweet nature fragrance.

Liquor : The liquor holds a rich reddish color with excellent clarity. The smooth texture is thick and oily.

Taste : The thick liquor has a complex taste; nutty, chocolaty, mild spicy with lovely honey flavor all along. A delicate floral flavor appears on the backafter swallowing the tea.

About jing tea shop View company

The leaves are very dark, thin and wiry. I put a pinch in my glass teapot and then steeped for 3 minutes. The tea liquor is a medium orangish-brown. The aroma of the tea is cocoa, while the flavor itself has a rich nuttiness which reminds me of walnuts, and a touch of honey. Others have commented on the citrus, and I am also picking up an orange peel type of flavor here and also a touch of spice. It reminds me ever so slightly of a fine cognac.

The tea is rich and smooth with almost no astringency and certainly no bitterness. A slight sweetness in the aftertaste. Since I’ve had a few dan cong oolongs recently I’m trying to see what the resemblance might be, but am not picking up on a lot of parallels right now.

A lovely and delightful treat, for the morning time or anytime. It almost seems like you could make a decadent dessert out of this one. Perhaps it would be good as a pudding or as an ice cream.

This is a follow up to my last tasting note. Today I’m doing multiple short steeps in a gaiwan. These Dan Cong Red Tea leaves are quite long, so I expect them to be great for resteeping.

Tasting the initial steep, there is a strong zesty flavour, along with spice, “tea” flavour. The drinking sensation is kind of like biting into juicy melon, very clean and mouth watering.

The second to fourth steeps were very nice, with a bit of astringency, and stronger tea flavour that reminds me of tamarind candies.

Fifth through the eighth steeps were consistent, with not much of the flavour fading with each resteep.

At the ninth steep I began to taste the original water flavour, but it otherwise retains enough flavour to be enjoyable. I continued resteeping and stopping at the twelfth, it had a hint of flavour but it was becoming too weak.

Now that I’ve tried both methods, I prefer the shorter steeps. It’s a very consistent flavour up until about number eight. My only dislike with this tea, is that it’s very astringent. It makes my mouth feel quite dry, so after this tasting note I’ll be having plenty of water. ;)
This is still my favourite black tea from the Jing Tea Shop samples, but I’m not sure if I would purchase a big bag of it. It’s the sort of tea I’d want to drink on rare occasions as a treat. At the very least I am happy to have tried it once, since I never really see this sort of tea online often. And as a bonus, this is a terrific resteeper just like Teavivre’s Yunnan Dian Hong Golden Tip, which I also got up to 12 steeps with.

100ml gaiwan, 5g (2tsp? I weighed this out on a scale), 12 steeps (30s +15s)

I want to update my previous note, as this tea has surpassed every other tea in my estimation. It just gets better and better. And I did want to say that, personally, I don’t get any astringency. I am usually quite sensitive to it and dislike it almost as much as smokiness. This is not a cheap tea, but I just made another order, I crave it and I was worried about the low quantity in my cannister.

I got my order today. I was so excited because I got 3 tea packages after “starvation” mode.
This tea. It’s very complex,changing from one steep to another.
Gongfu method
4g 100 ml gaiwan 205F
10/15/20/20/30 etc
The leaves are midnight black, very thin and very long like Daddy long legs. Scale to the rescue.
First steep was pale yellow, longan or grapes, juicy and some raw nuts,maybe cashew?
Second steep was totally different. Smelled like brownie, tasted like brownie with some faint cherry note
Later steeps were more citrusy, like grapefruit, longan came back with more cherry note pronounced. Some steeps were kinda floral in Darjeeling way.
This tea was quite an experience. Rich, multifaceted , satisfying
Thank you apt for suggesting me Jing Tea Shop. I’m very excited to try new teas.

0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
apt

wow! sounds like some of this is being added to my next JTS order.