2009 Wuyi Medium-Roasted Da Hong Pao Rock Tea

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by JK Tea Shop

• “Wow! This is a wonderful Da Hong Pao! I bought/tried this one at the same time as Harney and Sons version. Well, when I opened the aluminum package for H&S the fragrance was mild but The JK...” Read full tasting note
    lorimarantopittman 328 tasting notes
  • “This delicious tea has got depths and nuances of flavor and I am reminded of the late, lamented teas from The Simple Leaf. The leaves are very large and long and they brew up to a toasty, nutty...” Read full tasting note
    Doulton 255 tasting notes
  • “My second sample from JK Tea Shop! This one smells fabulous, all toasty and rich, but I have yet to make the taste live up to that. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice tea, but it smells like it...” Read full tasting note
    Cait 216 tasting notes
  • “My previous experience with loose leaf Wulong teas has been limited to Tie Guan Yin and Taiwan teas, but after reading about Da Hong Pao teas I was very curious to try them. Thus JK Tea shop's...” Read full tasting note
    shanghaiedflip 12 tasting notes

From JK Tea Shop

Da Hong Pao oolong tea is famous for its unique floral fragrance and specially Wuyi rock tea taste and fragrance. All Wuyi rock Oolong tea has its unique rock tea taste and fragrance, which the other Oolong teas do not possess the characteristics. The rock tea taste and fragrance can be described in the four aspects: aroma, cleanness, sweetness and animation.

Unlike Tie Guan Yin, which focus on the high fragrance, Wuyi rock tea concentrates on the taste. Its fragrance is deep and heave one, which can feel after drinking the tea soup.

Though our this tea is from Ban Yan areas, its rock fragrance and taste is still quite strong, and highlights with fresh, soft tea soup, clean flower aroma and strong sweetness.

Harvest time: 2009 Spring

Picking standard: one bud with two leaves

Shape: tight bar shaped tea leaves

Dried tea color: bloom dark brown color

Aroma: natural and fresh unique fragrance

Tea soup color: bright golden yellow

Taste: freshness, softness, mellow, thickness, unique flower taste

Brewing vessel: Gaiwan(120cc) or Yixing tea pot(120cc)

Brewing guidelines: Gaiwan or Yixing pot (120cc):5-7grams per time (based on personal taste); the water temperature should be over 98C or 209 F.

1) Warm up-First to warm up the vessels, pour out the hot water;

2) Smell dried tea fragrance-Then put the teas in the vessels, cover the Gaiwan or Yixing pot, and shake the vessels for about 3 seconds, then smell the dried tea leaves aroma.

3) Wash the tea-Pour the hot water into the vessels and pour out the water within 8 seconds;

4) First infusion-pour the hot water into the vessels again, and steep for about 10-25 seconds(based on personal taste)

5) Coming infusion- the time for the successive infusion can be 5 seconds longer than the previous infusion.

Infusion time: at least 9 times

About JK Tea Shop View company

Wow! This is a wonderful Da Hong Pao! I bought/tried this one at the same time as Harney and Sons version. Well, when I opened the aluminum package for H&S the fragrance was mild but The JK Tea Shop’s version: the fragrance was overpowering! This Da Hong Pao has subtle toasty flavors, like a smoky caramel. The H&S pales in comparison- perhaps it is not as fresh. This tea is shipped directly from China so perhaps this is the difference…

This delicious tea has got depths and nuances of flavor and I am reminded of the late, lamented teas from The Simple Leaf. The leaves are very large and long and they brew up to a toasty, nutty taste that evokes strains of chestnut and chocolate.

Lori

I do love this one AFTER I got the steeping parameters right…

ashmanra

Can anyone recommend a replacement for Dawn? I had it on my shopping list and never got to try it. :( What would be a similar tea?

Lori

I have been searching for a Dawn eplacement Ashmanra but no luck so far. But this one is good- I had a sample of this one but no longer and now thinking I may place an order….

My second sample from JK Tea Shop!

This one smells fabulous, all toasty and rich, but I have yet to make the taste live up to that. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice tea, but it smells like it could be so much better! The first time I definitely used too little leaf — I was expecting it to unroll the way ball oolong does, but the twisty leaves here didn’t expand as dramatically. (They’re lovely, though! Again, sorry for the lack of photos this time.) For my second tasting I used a lot more and got a much bolder taste, but still not quite what I was expecting from the scent. Next time I think I’ll try a longer steeping time. Fortunately this “sampler” is quite generous and I have a lot of tea to experiment with!

LENA

Mmmm…I love roasted oolongs.

Lori

I purchased this sample and I agree w/your comments. Overally, this is a mild tea and I was expecting a bolder flavor. I will experiment again. SoccerMom sent me a sample of DaHong Pao from Silk Roads and it was a more flavorable option..But then again, this could be my steeping parameters…

Cait

I really do need to go back and try this one again, don’t I? I have high hopes!

Lori

Me too! I also purchased samples of JKTeashop’s yunnan black teas- they were also mild..

Pamela Dean

With heavily roasted tea, such as wu yi or other rock oolongs, i suggest a pre-wash for 30 sec, drain, rest one minute or more, then start steeping what you will drink. That should help those toughened-up leaves to relax and release their essence a bit sooner. I’m not too keen on the roasted flavor, so sometimes i throw out the first steep, as well. Later steeps develop fruity, nutty flavors which please me more. Happy drinking! :)

My previous experience with loose leaf Wulong teas has been limited to Tie Guan Yin and Taiwan teas, but after reading about Da Hong Pao teas I was very curious to try them. Thus JK Tea shop’s free sample was a very nice treat.

I have to say I am now a big Da Hong Pao fan! I followed JK Tea shops brewing instructions, but unfortunately I had to use a glass pot since my Yixing pot broke :(

The dry leaves have a sweet, slightly smoky fragrance that for some strange reason reminds me of brown sugar. Strange, I know…

I steeped the first batch of tea for 25 seconds. The tea came out looking clear, bright and golden-orange. The scent that I originally got from the dry leaves was even stronger coming from the tea itself. It had a sweet, candy-caramel like taste as it first hit my mouth with a veeeerrry slight bitter note at the end.

For the second batch, I steeped it for around 30 seconds and there was less of a sugary fragrance and a little more smoke. The sweet taste became more pronounced and was a good combination with the hint of smoke.

I could smell more of the floral fragrance with the third steep, (around 40 seconds) and a little less of the sweet fragrance. The taste was a little more floral and less sweet.

The succeeding steeps had progressively lighter tastes and fragrances.

Overall, one of the best Wulong teas I’ve had so far, and a nice way to get introduced to Da Hong Pao tea!

205 °F / 96 °C
JK Tea Shop

Yixing pot or Gaiwan can have better taste, because of the heat concentration. Probably you can try next time with the Gaiwan or Yixing pot.

ShanghaiedFlip ^_^

Sadly, I used up all of this tea already :( Hopefully I can try the Zhengyan Da Hong Pao tea with a Yixing pot when I get back from Ningbo this weekend.

JK Tea Shop

i c. Normally for me, I brew 7grams per Gaiwan or Yixing pot. Not sure how many grams you brew ?

I love this tea for the big fresh cocoa powder and dark chocolate bark alkalinity that the dry leaf aroma opens with, which then transitions into an herbal, spicy, complex earth tone. First steeps grab onto this and pour on sweetened, aged, cooked, and dried peaches, pears, and golden plums. I wish that it held out a little longer, but compared to many oolongs, it’s very robust. The levels of roast and oxidation on this tea are well balanced to produce a tea that has great fruit character, but adds darker, caramelized and spice-laden complexity for holding the drinker’s attention.