2013 Spring Imperial Golden Buds Tan Yang Gongfu

Edit tea info Last updated by Dinosara

1 Tasting Note View all

• “So! Finally healthy enough that I feel like trying some of my new teas. I ordered from JK Tea Shop around Black Friday because I have wanted to try them for a while, but the package came right...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes

From JK Tea Shop

This imperial golden buds Tan Yang Gongfu black tea is carefully hand-picked tender one bud with one leaf tea leaves, and made through the tranditional Tan Yang Gongfu making process.

The dry tea leaves are very fresh, tippy with golden hair color; After brewing, its light caramel mixed with floral aroma encounter against the nose. Brisk tea liquid & honey mixed fruity taste; Full body, with infinite aftertaste sweetness surrounding deeply the throat. Though buds only, it can sustain many times repeated infusion(up to 10 times by Gaiwan).

Note: tested for European market.

Harvest time: 2013 spring

Picking standard: One bud with one leaf only

Shape: tight, lightly-curly stick shape

Dried tea color: bloom, red tippy, golden buds color

Aroma: brisk, fresh honey & floral aroma

Tea soup color: bright orange-red color with high transparency & golden ring

Taste: fresh, rich body taste with light honey taste.

About JK Tea Shop View company

1 Tasting Note

So! Finally healthy enough that I feel like trying some of my new teas. I ordered from JK Tea Shop around Black Friday because I have wanted to try them for a while, but the package came right before I left to travel for the holidays (much like my ATR order) so I haven’t tried anything from it. I’ve wanted to try JK Tea Shop for a while since they are a direct from China seller, and they offer some unique Chinese teas that you don’t find elsewhere. Fortunately they also sell 15g samples on most of their teas (something a lot of sellers in China do not do!). I ordered a number of black tea samples and a few others.

I am in love with the Tan Yang I brought back from China almost two years ago now (Yong Sheng), but I haven’t found another that I love as much to restock once I run out. There are some other good ones (Teavivre’s, Harney’s golden tips), but none that really replace my Maliandao purchase. I am brewing this one like I have brewed the others in the past as a first run.

The dry leaf is promising. Very golden, and smelling like sweet, rich, molasses-y grains. Steeped, the scent is similar… grainy, a bit sweet, and a bit of raisin or prune notes to it. The flavor is good but not strong enough; however, I think that’s a steeping parameters issue primarily. I will definitely use more tea next time. This one is pretty much different from all the other Tan Yangs I’ve tried so far, perhaps most similar to Harney’s, and somewhat reminiscent of Teavivre’s Bailin Gongfu. Fairly malty, leaving a light sweetness in the aftertaste, though lighter than some others (again this may be a steeping issue, however). Molasses notes, primarily, not quite caramel as in the Yong Sheng. More raisin than apricot. A bit of nuttiness (missing in others besides the Yong Sheng).

This is quite good. As for pricing, this is nearly identical to Teavivre’s (both being nearly half the price of Harney’s); unfortunately I don’t have any of Teavivre’s Tan Yang to try back to back with this one, although I will have to dig out my Yong Sheng soon. This one may be a slightly better match.