Cocoa, Earth, Malt, Sweet, Wood, Caramel, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Floral, Fruity, Raisins, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Joseph Wesley Black Tea

• “Backlog: This is the third tea that I've tried from this company, and I love it too. I have been very impressed with everything that I've tried from them. The leaves are gorgeous (I love that...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4624 tasting notes
  • “This was a pleasant cup. I quite enjoyed it. A little smokey, a touch of hay, and a nice coppery background with a bare hint of malt and astringency. Perfect for sipping on while I study for my...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1341 tasting notes
  • “The Classic Chinese doesn’t just smell “classic” when dry. Book fiends will get lost with their noses in it, with the leaves’ aroma of ancient dark halls filled with heavy scrolls; a library from...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “Sad sad day. I was expecting my delivery of samples from Joseph Wesley earlier this week. Despite tracking saying it delivered, it had not! So, this weekend the package finally arrives. With a note...” Read full tasting note
    Kokabel 38 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 3 is an organically-certified hand-harvested tea from the famed Long Jing cultivars of China’s Zhejiang Province. The tea was harvested from the mountains of Zhu Jia Jian island in the Putuo district of the Zhoushan archipelago in the Pacific Ocean. Bold and straightforward this delightful tea can be enjoyed throughout the day and will pair with any of your favorite adjuncts (milk and sugar / spice and honey). Because we had this tea crafted from the same tea leaves and gardens as Joseph Wesley’s Dragonwell Seasonal Release, you can sample a flight of both to experience how the oxidation process unique to black teas fundamentally changes the color, taste and aroma of a single tea leaf.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

Backlog:

This is the third tea that I’ve tried from this company, and I love it too. I have been very impressed with everything that I’ve tried from them.

The leaves are gorgeous (I love that the the beauty of the leaves is important to Joseph Wesley. Of course, the true test of a tea is in the flavor, but, when someone takes as much care as this company has in selecting the highest quality, artistically crafted tea leaves, it turns the cup of tea into a true artistic experience – as it should be!) and the aroma of the brewed tea is rich and rewarding.

Chocolate-y notes with caramel-y undertones. Notes of malt. That freshly baked bread kind of taste. Hints of fresh plum and flower in the distance.

A delightful first-thing-in-the-morning tea … but also perfect for any time of the day. I just love this tea! Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/12/07/3-classic-chinese-black-tea-joseph-wesley-black-tea/

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Sorry for the late response to your nice review. Thanks again for taking time to taste and to review.

Perfect for sipping on while I study for my exam on Friday!

Thanks for the sample Joseph Wesley!!

The Classic Chinese doesn’t just smell “classic” when dry. Book fiends will get lost with their noses in it, with the leaves’ aroma of ancient dark halls filled with heavy scrolls; a library from the dawn of storytime. This quiets noticeably in the cup as it transitions into the warm, rich notes we get from our Chinese blacks.

Unlike finicky Darjeelings, go against your first ins-tea-nct and let this one steep for a little longer, and be sure the water is max temperature. A languid 5 minutes will do the both of you good, as you’re rewarded with… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/05/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-1/

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Ms. Snooty Tea Person, please pardon our ignorance, but we would like to attach images and a description for the teas that you reviewed. Do you know how we do that? Anyone? Thanks in advance for your consideration, JWT

The Snooty Tea Person

There’s an “Edit Tea Info” button on the tea’s page.

Sad sad day. I was expecting my delivery of samples from Joseph Wesley earlier this week. Despite tracking saying it delivered, it had not! So, this weekend the package finally arrives. With a note INSIDE from USPS saying they’re sorry, my package was lost and or damaged in the mail…. etc. It was obviously repackaged. … blegh.

I was so depressed, you have no idea. I’d been looking forward to trying these teas out since before I ordered them. I got a sample of each variety : I only received 3 samples and 2 labels. The rest, I assume, were “lost” in the mail. Love our US mail!

I email Joe (apparently he answers the emails himself. You can FEEL the heart from this company!) and he’s sending me new samples to replace what was lost. Such a fast response! You can tell they care about every cup of tea their customers have. :D Pretty incredible company. I love the simplistic approach they take to tea. It’s been so much easier getting my boyfriend interested in tea when I approach him with sites like Joseph Wesley. He appreciates the straightforward and simple mentality.

So this is the only tea I received that still had the label attached. So, I’m impatient, and eagerly got myself a cup together. Despite the fact that this tea may or may not have been upended on the floor of some mail-room.

This is almost iconic black tea. Simple, easy to drink. My boyfriend said he would love to drink this instead of black coffee “when you just want some caffeine”.

Personally I love it. It’s an easy-drinking black tea, with an plenty of flavors to dwell on. My favorite part is the sort of after-taste it leaves on the tongue after a sip. Herbal, slightly tangy, really fun actually. What’s more to say? Classic black tea. :)

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thank you for the nice comments. I really appreciated your understanding with the mail fiasco. The new package was put in the mail today and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the box arrives the way it was intended to arrive; with great craft and care. I hope that you enjoy the other teas as much, if not more, as you enjoyed the #3. Cheers, Joe

I got a small sample of this tea from the vendor when I purchased some other tea at the Philadelphia Coffee & Tea Festival. This tea is divine. I don’t get much subtlety in flavor but it’s soothing and perfect for a cold November day when it’s snowing outside. Savory, smooth. Lovely.

It resteeps amazingly well.

Another sample from the Awesome Scribbles!

I was looking for just a straight black tea this morning. I couldn’t stomach the thought of a flavoured tea for some reason. No matter, I picked this one.

This tea is interesting. I am getting a lot of earthy tones, slightly mushroom. I immediately wondered if this one was blended with a pu-erh tea, but it doesn’t seem to be. It is thick, bold, malty and slightly sweet, sweet only in the way a black tea could be sweet. Still getting lots of fresh soil, earthy tones. Which is not terrible, just not what I anticipated from this tea. I could imagine how good this te would be with milk, but I went for straight black as I usually do not add any milk or sweeteners to my black teas.

Not my favorite Joseph Wesley tea so far, but it is still good, just not to my taste.

scribbles

This one is just ok for me too.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Do you have the 2013 Classic Chinese or the 2014? The 2014 is very tightly rolled and full leaf. The 2013 was quite broken and not very tightly rolled? They were made from the same estate, using the same leaves but we took last year’s leaves and used them for one of our tea sachets. This year’s tea is a much higher graded black tea. I suspect you have the leaves from last year. If true, I would be interested in getting your reaction to the new leaves. Send me a message at [email protected] and we can figure out a way for you to compare the two tea. Cheers, Joe

Another black tea chosen at random from the pile! This one came from scribbles. The leaves are short and thick, and dark chocolate brown in color. Dry scent is very mild with malt, hay, wood, and cocoa notes. I steeped mine for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

I was surprised by the amount of sweet cocoa aroma I got from this one. There were also very earthy notes along with wood and mushroom. This is another black tea that reminds me of a shou (a mild shou, obviously). There’s no fishy note or anything like that, but it’s very earthy and sweet with a bit of woody taste. Mellow and smooth, not astringent or bitter at all. This isn’t my favorite as I don’t love earthy teas, but it’s still quite good. :)

Flavors: Cocoa, Earth, Malt, Sweet, Wood

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks Cameron. I don’t know if you noticed from the other reviews, but this #3 has been put into our silken tea sachets. In its place we now have an exceptional tea. I hope you get the chance to try the new tea as I am interested to read how you think the two compare. Cheers, Joe

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #16
My first thought is that the Strawberry Rhubarb that I had in the infuser yesterday MUST have contaminated this tea…. though it usually doesn’t do that. And I steeped the Strawberry at JUST boiled and this one after 15 minutes… it doesn’t seem like that much flavor would carry over. Otherwise, if this tea has this much of a fruity flavor then I am amazed! Before taking a sip, there is a sweet floral fragrance coming from the cup. The brew color is very light. Someone mentioned sweet ripe plums with tangy skins, and that is accurate! But so much strawberry. I wish I knew if the flavor was contaminated. Such a light, smooth, syrupy cup, it’s fruit and caramel for me, no chocolate at all. The second steep still had a very light color, but the flavor was more astringent than anything else, which was odd, so I wouldn’t steep it that way again. The rating is for the first steep. If I like this one from Joseph Wesley, I’d probably LOVE all of their teas. They all sound amazing.
Steep #1 // 15-20 min after steeping // 3 min
Steep #2 // 2 min after boiling // 3 min

MzPriss

Yay! I’m glad you like this. I love Joe’s teas a LOT. He does the only Lapsang I will drink and enjoy.

Tea Sipper

I should definitely try the lapsang then!

MzPriss

You will be surprised. It’s not a smoke bomb. It’s just good!

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks MzPriss for the nice comments and Tea Sipper for the thoughtful review. I hope you figured out if your infuser was indeed contaminated (although I wish more of my “contaminated” dished tasted of Strawberry – Rhubarb! Mmmm…)

Tea Sipper

Yeah, not a bad contamination, but it doesn’t show the next tea with its true flavor.

A nice, well balanced tea. Dark bittersweet is a good descriptor. It was a little dry – perhaps I used too high a temperature water. It will be enjoyed! Thanks again, Teatiff! :)

Having my first cup of the day, from a trade with Boychik.
I’m sure I screwed this one up, either too much tea, or too hot of water, because it’s quite bitter. Luckily I have enough to experiment with, & I’ll make a note on the Baggie to do so.

boychik

Terri, JW recommends 175-180F 2.5 min and 30sec increase with resteeps

Terri HarpLady

Aha!
What about quantity?

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

I would also recommend that the water be below 190 (175-180 would be ideal) and that you use the standard English volume of 1 tsp. per 6-8 oz. Cheers, Joe