Caramel, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Floral, Fruity, Raisins, Smoke, Cocoa, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Joseph Wesley Black Tea

• “Backlog: This is the third tea that I've tried from this company, and I love it too. I have been very impressed with everything that I've tried from them. The leaves are gorgeous (I love that...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4366 tasting notes
  • “This was a pleasant cup. I quite enjoyed it. A little smokey, a touch of hay, and a nice coppery background with a bare hint of malt and astringency. Perfect for sipping on while I study for my...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1296 tasting notes
  • “The Classic Chinese doesn’t just smell “classic” when dry. Book fiends will get lost with their noses in it, with the leaves’ aroma of ancient dark halls filled with heavy scrolls; a library from...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “Sad sad day. I was expecting my delivery of samples from Joseph Wesley earlier this week. Despite tracking saying it delivered, it had not! So, this weekend the package finally arrives. With a note...” Read full tasting note
    Kokabel 38 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 3 is an organically-certified hand-harvested tea from the famed Long Jing cultivars of China’s Zhejiang Province. The tea was harvested from the mountains of Zhu Jia Jian island in the Putuo district of the Zhoushan archipelago in the Pacific Ocean. Bold and straightforward this delightful tea can be enjoyed throughout the day and will pair with any of your favorite adjuncts (milk and sugar / spice and honey). Because we had this tea crafted from the same tea leaves and gardens as Joseph Wesley’s Dragonwell Seasonal Release, you can sample a flight of both to experience how the oxidation process unique to black teas fundamentally changes the color, taste and aroma of a single tea leaf.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

Backlog:

This is the third tea that I’ve tried from this company, and I love it too. I have been very impressed with everything that I’ve tried from them.

The leaves are gorgeous (I love that the the beauty of the leaves is important to Joseph Wesley. Of course, the true test of a tea is in the flavor, but, when someone takes as much care as this company has in selecting the highest quality, artistically crafted tea leaves, it turns the cup of tea into a true artistic experience – as it should be!) and the aroma of the brewed tea is rich and rewarding.

Chocolate-y notes with caramel-y undertones. Notes of malt. That freshly baked bread kind of taste. Hints of fresh plum and flower in the distance.

A delightful first-thing-in-the-morning tea … but also perfect for any time of the day. I just love this tea! Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/12/07/3-classic-chinese-black-tea-joseph-wesley-black-tea/

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Sorry for the late response to your nice review. Thanks again for taking time to taste and to review.

Perfect for sipping on while I study for my exam on Friday!

Thanks for the sample Joseph Wesley!!

The Classic Chinese doesn’t just smell “classic” when dry. Book fiends will get lost with their noses in it, with the leaves’ aroma of ancient dark halls filled with heavy scrolls; a library from the dawn of storytime. This quiets noticeably in the cup as it transitions into the warm, rich notes we get from our Chinese blacks.

Unlike finicky Darjeelings, go against your first ins-tea-nct and let this one steep for a little longer, and be sure the water is max temperature. A languid 5 minutes will do the both of you good, as you’re rewarded with… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/05/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-1/

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Ms. Snooty Tea Person, please pardon our ignorance, but we would like to attach images and a description for the teas that you reviewed. Do you know how we do that? Anyone? Thanks in advance for your consideration, JWT

The Snooty Tea Person

There’s an “Edit Tea Info” button on the tea’s page.

Sad sad day. I was expecting my delivery of samples from Joseph Wesley earlier this week. Despite tracking saying it delivered, it had not! So, this weekend the package finally arrives. With a note INSIDE from USPS saying they’re sorry, my package was lost and or damaged in the mail…. etc. It was obviously repackaged. … blegh.

I was so depressed, you have no idea. I’d been looking forward to trying these teas out since before I ordered them. I got a sample of each variety : I only received 3 samples and 2 labels. The rest, I assume, were “lost” in the mail. Love our US mail!

I email Joe (apparently he answers the emails himself. You can FEEL the heart from this company!) and he’s sending me new samples to replace what was lost. Such a fast response! You can tell they care about every cup of tea their customers have. :D Pretty incredible company. I love the simplistic approach they take to tea. It’s been so much easier getting my boyfriend interested in tea when I approach him with sites like Joseph Wesley. He appreciates the straightforward and simple mentality.

So this is the only tea I received that still had the label attached. So, I’m impatient, and eagerly got myself a cup together. Despite the fact that this tea may or may not have been upended on the floor of some mail-room.

This is almost iconic black tea. Simple, easy to drink. My boyfriend said he would love to drink this instead of black coffee “when you just want some caffeine”.

Personally I love it. It’s an easy-drinking black tea, with an plenty of flavors to dwell on. My favorite part is the sort of after-taste it leaves on the tongue after a sip. Herbal, slightly tangy, really fun actually. What’s more to say? Classic black tea. :)

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thank you for the nice comments. I really appreciated your understanding with the mail fiasco. The new package was put in the mail today and I am keeping my fingers crossed that the box arrives the way it was intended to arrive; with great craft and care. I hope that you enjoy the other teas as much, if not more, as you enjoyed the #3. Cheers, Joe

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #16
My first thought is that the Strawberry Rhubarb that I had in the infuser yesterday MUST have contaminated this tea…. though it usually doesn’t do that. And I steeped the Strawberry at JUST boiled and this one after 15 minutes… it doesn’t seem like that much flavor would carry over. Otherwise, if this tea has this much of a fruity flavor then I am amazed! Before taking a sip, there is a sweet floral fragrance coming from the cup. The brew color is very light. Someone mentioned sweet ripe plums with tangy skins, and that is accurate! But so much strawberry. I wish I knew if the flavor was contaminated. Such a light, smooth, syrupy cup, it’s fruit and caramel for me, no chocolate at all. The second steep still had a very light color, but the flavor was more astringent than anything else, which was odd, so I wouldn’t steep it that way again. The rating is for the first steep. If I like this one from Joseph Wesley, I’d probably LOVE all of their teas. They all sound amazing.
Steep #1 // 15-20 min after steeping // 3 min
Steep #2 // 2 min after boiling // 3 min

MzPriss

Yay! I’m glad you like this. I love Joe’s teas a LOT. He does the only Lapsang I will drink and enjoy.

Tea Sipper

I should definitely try the lapsang then!

MzPriss

You will be surprised. It’s not a smoke bomb. It’s just good!

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks MzPriss for the nice comments and Tea Sipper for the thoughtful review. I hope you figured out if your infuser was indeed contaminated (although I wish more of my “contaminated” dished tasted of Strawberry – Rhubarb! Mmmm…)

Tea Sipper

Yeah, not a bad contamination, but it doesn’t show the next tea with its true flavor.

A nice, well balanced tea. Dark bittersweet is a good descriptor. It was a little dry – perhaps I used too high a temperature water. It will be enjoyed! Thanks again, Teatiff! :)

Having my first cup of the day, from a trade with Boychik.
I’m sure I screwed this one up, either too much tea, or too hot of water, because it’s quite bitter. Luckily I have enough to experiment with, & I’ll make a note on the Baggie to do so.

Terri, JW recommends 175-180F 2.5 min and 30sec increase with resteeps

Terri HarpLady

Aha!
What about quantity?

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

I would also recommend that the water be below 190 (175-180 would be ideal) and that you use the standard English volume of 1 tsp. per 6-8 oz. Cheers, Joe

(From the UTTB.)

Having this tea for breakfast this morning! The tea liquor is a coppery red-amber and the aroma is smokey sweet. First sip was a little astringent, and I was worried that the entire cup would be that way. Not so. It has a bold, no-nonsense way about it—like an Assam. The more I sip the more the initial bitterness becomes a distant memory. It’s chocolatey, malty and caramel sweet at the end. There’s a drying fruity taste to it that’s like raisins or cranberries…maybe plums, with their slightly bitter skins. I like the briskness and the bittersweet qualities of this tea! It’s exactly what I needed this AM!

Drank straight, but could stand up to milk and sugar. I would recommend brewing at lower temps…MzPriss wrote 180F on the packet, but I brewed closer to 200. I couldn’t imagine using boiling water. It would be much too bitter for me.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Floral, Fruity, Raisins, Smoke

happy to read that you enjoyed the tea. Cheers, Joe

the downside of being sick si that sometimes you fall asleep between cups of tea before logging them. soo forgive the crappy notes. I brewed this one up with the bai liu and i think this one was my preferred tea. i seem to recall chocolate/cocoa-y notes in this one and a deeper flavour that i really enjoyed. im’ glad i’m having such good experiences with these teas :) thanks again boychik!

boychik

You giving them very good ratings, I’m impressed.

haha yeah…i’d have to price them out and see where they fall in terms of some of my favourites from a value perspective but i can see rotating these in to my cupboard now and then a possibility. they’re quite enjoyable and slightly different than the other teas i’ve been drinking recently.

boychik

not cheap but quality teas. remember what JW said they have a distributor in Canada

boychik

if some sale would come all of a sudden, i wouldnt think twice. And you saw my cupboard(shhh not everything logged, found 2 boxes of unaccounted Verdant and samples,and swaps, and care packages(mostly shu or sheng))

agreed haha. i have a tea mule that i can send things to as well, so i don’t have to rely on canadian distribution lol

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

I’m happy to read you’ve been enjoying these teas. We actually just finished transferring the #3 to tea sachets (now called T1) and are getting set to replace the old #3 with another tea. I hope this doesn’t offend anyone’s sensibilities, but we found people were really enjoying this tea and that it worked in a tea sachet. Wanting a couple of options for cafes and restaurants, we decided this tea was most suitable for the dreaded tea sachet. If and when you are ready to order more tea, contact me and I’ll work out a deal for you and help figure out how to ship the teas to you. Thanks again, Cheers, Joe

boychik

What are you replacing it with , Mr. Wesley and should I get more of #3 ( I have nothing left) I don’t want sachets. Any promo ?

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Boychik – because you asked, we’ll give you 25% off #3 until we run out (we have 9 canisters left – at least the last time I looked a day or two ago). Free shipping still applies to all orders over $40 (unless you’re ordering from Canada, in which case we’ll figure something out and I’ll get your teas sent from Windsor).

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Simply type SayNoToBags when you checkout (there should be a prompt for a discount code). Feel free to pass along this discount code to anyone who might be interested. Thanks again, Joe

boychik

Thank you so much . It makes the deal sweeter. I’ll order first though ;) then l’ll share. I love to share and shared all your teas and spread the love.

This is my first Joseph Wesley tea. I ordered several samples and Joe thoughtfully included an additional Lapsang sample all of which I will be commenting on later. I ordered two, was going to say tins, but they aren’t tins really, so I will say I got two thingies of this because it’s hard to make me unhappy with a nice black Chinese tea. I’m glad that I did. This is a really nice cup of tea. There is a little bit of smoke but just a little. It is a nice full bodied cup with little astringency, even though I steeped it longer than the 3 minute recommendation. There is a touch of malt and a touch of grain, but overall a round, nicely complex black that gives me a nice morning not too aggressive tea buzz. This is what I would think of as “Sunday morning” tea, where I get to laze around in bed with the NYT and this tea and be very, very content. I also love the aesthetics and attention to detail of this company. It is obvious that Joe loves tea.

This tea has such a nice groove – a song for it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FevK4QQaoFs

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

The tea made you think of the Queen of Soul? Awesome. That’s the best complement we could ever receive! Thanks.

MzPriss

LOL I frequently hear songs when I taste tea. And I love the groove on that song and that’s what immediately heard when I tasted it.