Chocolate, Hay, Malt, Smooth, Sweet, Thick, Fruity, Butter, Cherry, Dark Wood, Molasses, Cocoa, Earth, Wood, Caramel, Dark Bittersweet, Floral, Raisins, Smoke
Edit tea info Last updated by Joseph Wesley Black Tea

• “Backlog: This is the third tea that I’ve tried from this company, and I love it too. I have been very impressed with everything that I’ve tried from them. The leaves are gorgeous (I...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4839 tasting notes
  • “This was a pleasant cup. I quite enjoyed it. A little smokey, a touch of hay, and a nice coppery background with a bare hint of malt and astringency. Perfect for sipping on while I study for my...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1549 tasting notes
  • “The Classic Chinese doesn’t just smell “classic” when dry. Book fiends will get lost with their noses in it, with the leaves’ aroma of ancient dark halls filled with heavy scrolls; a library from...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “Sad sad day. I was expecting my delivery of samples from Joseph Wesley earlier this week. Despite tracking saying it delivered, it had not! So, this weekend the package finally arrives. With a note...” Read full tasting note
    Kokabel 41 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 3 is an organically-certified hand-harvested tea from the famed Long Jing cultivars of China’s Zhejiang Province. The tea was harvested from the mountains of Zhu Jia Jian island in the Putuo district of the Zhoushan archipelago in the Pacific Ocean. Bold and straightforward this delightful tea can be enjoyed throughout the day and will pair with any of your favorite adjuncts (milk and sugar / spice and honey). Because we had this tea crafted from the same tea leaves and gardens as Joseph Wesley’s Dragonwell Seasonal Release, you can sample a flight of both to experience how the oxidation process unique to black teas fundamentally changes the color, taste and aroma of a single tea leaf.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

I got a small sample of this tea from the vendor when I purchased some other tea at the Philadelphia Coffee & Tea Festival. This tea is divine. I don’t get much subtlety in flavor but it’s soothing and perfect for a cold November day when it’s snowing outside. Savory, smooth. Lovely.

It resteeps amazingly well.

Another sample from the Awesome Scribbles!

I was looking for just a straight black tea this morning. I couldn’t stomach the thought of a flavoured tea for some reason. No matter, I picked this one.

This tea is interesting. I am getting a lot of earthy tones, slightly mushroom. I immediately wondered if this one was blended with a pu-erh tea, but it doesn’t seem to be. It is thick, bold, malty and slightly sweet, sweet only in the way a black tea could be sweet. Still getting lots of fresh soil, earthy tones. Which is not terrible, just not what I anticipated from this tea. I could imagine how good this te would be with milk, but I went for straight black as I usually do not add any milk or sweeteners to my black teas.

Not my favorite Joseph Wesley tea so far, but it is still good, just not to my taste.

scribbles

This one is just ok for me too.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Do you have the 2013 Classic Chinese or the 2014? The 2014 is very tightly rolled and full leaf. The 2013 was quite broken and not very tightly rolled? They were made from the same estate, using the same leaves but we took last year’s leaves and used them for one of our tea sachets. This year’s tea is a much higher graded black tea. I suspect you have the leaves from last year. If true, I would be interested in getting your reaction to the new leaves. Send me a message at [email protected] and we can figure out a way for you to compare the two tea. Cheers, Joe

Another black tea chosen at random from the pile! This one came from scribbles. The leaves are short and thick, and dark chocolate brown in color. Dry scent is very mild with malt, hay, wood, and cocoa notes. I steeped mine for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

I was surprised by the amount of sweet cocoa aroma I got from this one. There were also very earthy notes along with wood and mushroom. This is another black tea that reminds me of a shou (a mild shou, obviously). There’s no fishy note or anything like that, but it’s very earthy and sweet with a bit of woody taste. Mellow and smooth, not astringent or bitter at all. This isn’t my favorite as I don’t love earthy teas, but it’s still quite good. :)

Flavors: Cocoa, Earth, Malt, Sweet, Wood

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks Cameron. I don’t know if you noticed from the other reviews, but this #3 has been put into our silken tea sachets. In its place we now have an exceptional tea. I hope you get the chance to try the new tea as I am interested to read how you think the two compare. Cheers, Joe

2089 tasting notes

MzPriss’ Unflavored Tea Box – Tea #16
My first thought is that the Strawberry Rhubarb that I had in the infuser yesterday MUST have contaminated this tea…. though it usually doesn’t do that. And I steeped the Strawberry at JUST boiled and this one after 15 minutes… it doesn’t seem like that much flavor would carry over. Otherwise, if this tea has this much of a fruity flavor then I am amazed! Before taking a sip, there is a sweet floral fragrance coming from the cup. The brew color is very light. Someone mentioned sweet ripe plums with tangy skins, and that is accurate! But so much strawberry. I wish I knew if the flavor was contaminated. Such a light, smooth, syrupy cup, it’s fruit and caramel for me, no chocolate at all. The second steep still had a very light color, but the flavor was more astringent than anything else, which was odd, so I wouldn’t steep it that way again. The rating is for the first steep. If I like this one from Joseph Wesley, I’d probably LOVE all of their teas. They all sound amazing.
Steep #1 // 15-20 min after steeping // 3 min
Steep #2 // 2 min after boiling // 3 min

Myssy

Yay! I’m glad you like this. I love Joe’s teas a LOT. He does the only Lapsang I will drink and enjoy.

tea-sipper

I should definitely try the lapsang then!

Myssy

You will be surprised. It’s not a smoke bomb. It’s just good!

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks MzPriss for the nice comments and Tea Sipper for the thoughtful review. I hope you figured out if your infuser was indeed contaminated (although I wish more of my “contaminated” dished tasted of Strawberry – Rhubarb! Mmmm…)

tea-sipper

Yeah, not a bad contamination, but it doesn’t show the next tea with its true flavor.

A nice, well balanced tea. Dark bittersweet is a good descriptor. It was a little dry – perhaps I used too high a temperature water. It will be enjoyed! Thanks again, Teatiff! :)

Having my first cup of the day, from a trade with Boychik.
I’m sure I screwed this one up, either too much tea, or too hot of water, because it’s quite bitter. Luckily I have enough to experiment with, & I’ll make a note on the Baggie to do so.

Terri, JW recommends 175-180F 2.5 min and 30sec increase with resteeps

Terri HarpLady

Aha!
What about quantity?

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

I would also recommend that the water be below 190 (175-180 would be ideal) and that you use the standard English volume of 1 tsp. per 6-8 oz. Cheers, Joe

(From the UTTB.)

Having this tea for breakfast this morning! The tea liquor is a coppery red-amber and the aroma is smokey sweet. First sip was a little astringent, and I was worried that the entire cup would be that way. Not so. It has a bold, no-nonsense way about it—like an Assam. The more I sip the more the initial bitterness becomes a distant memory. It’s chocolatey, malty and caramel sweet at the end. There’s a drying fruity taste to it that’s like raisins or cranberries…maybe plums, with their slightly bitter skins. I like the briskness and the bittersweet qualities of this tea! It’s exactly what I needed this AM!

Drank straight, but could stand up to milk and sugar. I would recommend brewing at lower temps…MzPriss wrote 180F on the packet, but I brewed closer to 200. I couldn’t imagine using boiling water. It would be much too bitter for me.

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Floral, Fruity, Raisins, Smoke

happy to read that you enjoyed the tea. Cheers, Joe

the downside of being sick si that sometimes you fall asleep between cups of tea before logging them. soo forgive the crappy notes. I brewed this one up with the bai liu and i think this one was my preferred tea. i seem to recall chocolate/cocoa-y notes in this one and a deeper flavour that i really enjoyed. im’ glad i’m having such good experiences with these teas :) thanks again boychik!

boychik

You giving them very good ratings, I’m impressed.

haha yeah…i’d have to price them out and see where they fall in terms of some of my favourites from a value perspective but i can see rotating these in to my cupboard now and then a possibility. they’re quite enjoyable and slightly different than the other teas i’ve been drinking recently.

boychik

not cheap but quality teas. remember what JW said they have a distributor in Canada

boychik

if some sale would come all of a sudden, i wouldnt think twice. And you saw my cupboard(shhh not everything logged, found 2 boxes of unaccounted Verdant and samples,and swaps, and care packages(mostly shu or sheng))

agreed haha. i have a tea mule that i can send things to as well, so i don’t have to rely on canadian distribution lol

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

I’m happy to read you’ve been enjoying these teas. We actually just finished transferring the #3 to tea sachets (now called T1) and are getting set to replace the old #3 with another tea. I hope this doesn’t offend anyone’s sensibilities, but we found people were really enjoying this tea and that it worked in a tea sachet. Wanting a couple of options for cafes and restaurants, we decided this tea was most suitable for the dreaded tea sachet. If and when you are ready to order more tea, contact me and I’ll work out a deal for you and help figure out how to ship the teas to you. Thanks again, Cheers, Joe

boychik

What are you replacing it with , Mr. Wesley and should I get more of #3 ( I have nothing left) I don’t want sachets. Any promo ?

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Boychik – because you asked, we’ll give you 25% off #3 until we run out (we have 9 canisters left – at least the last time I looked a day or two ago). Free shipping still applies to all orders over $40 (unless you’re ordering from Canada, in which case we’ll figure something out and I’ll get your teas sent from Windsor).

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Simply type SayNoToBags when you checkout (there should be a prompt for a discount code). Feel free to pass along this discount code to anyone who might be interested. Thanks again, Joe

boychik

Thank you so much . It makes the deal sweeter. I’ll order first though ;) then l’ll share. I love to share and shared all your teas and spread the love.

This is my first Joseph Wesley tea. I ordered several samples and Joe thoughtfully included an additional Lapsang sample all of which I will be commenting on later. I ordered two, was going to say tins, but they aren’t tins really, so I will say I got two thingies of this because it’s hard to make me unhappy with a nice black Chinese tea. I’m glad that I did. This is a really nice cup of tea. There is a little bit of smoke but just a little. It is a nice full bodied cup with little astringency, even though I steeped it longer than the 3 minute recommendation. There is a touch of malt and a touch of grain, but overall a round, nicely complex black that gives me a nice morning not too aggressive tea buzz. This is what I would think of as “Sunday morning” tea, where I get to laze around in bed with the NYT and this tea and be very, very content. I also love the aesthetics and attention to detail of this company. It is obvious that Joe loves tea.

This tea has such a nice groove – a song for it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FevK4QQaoFs

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

The tea made you think of the Queen of Soul? Awesome. That’s the best complement we could ever receive! Thanks.

Myssy

LOL I frequently hear songs when I taste tea. And I love the groove on that song and that’s what immediately heard when I tasted it.

Let’s get the “dirty” outta the way.

I’m kinda drunk as I write this..today?

I needed a tea capper for an evening well spent.

Joseph Wesley was where I paid my black rent.

TeaCuplets: http://lazyliteratus.tumblr.com/post/80849224791/teacuplets-joseph-wesley-tea-no-3-chinese-classic

Boiling 3 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML