Almond, Apricot, Baked Bread, Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Dried Fruit, Frosting, Honey, Malt, Marzipan, Pastries, Toast, Creamy, Oats, Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Backlog: I have tried three different teas from Joseph Wesley Black Tea and I loved all three. (The other reviews will be posted soon! Yeah, I’m still behind.) It would be hard...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4825 tasting notes
  • “The dry smell of Bai Lin Congfu is heavy on the dust. Strangely though, it’s a clean sort of dust–the kind you’d find at a well-run bakery. In the cup, this quiets down a lot, bringing you more of...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “This was the tea I was most excited to try because the notes about caramel sounded so good. Unfortunately, all I got was malt. Not bad, but not great. I really like Classic Chinese and the Lapsang,...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 764 tasting notes
  • “This is such a delightful tea. It opens with notes of smooth, silky cream, caramel, honey and baked bread. There are whispers of cocoa along with an almond nuttiness that makes me think of...” Read full tasting note
    kmewrd 152 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Made only from the young buds of the Da-Bai tea cultivar, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 6 showcases the sweet, smooth and slightly toasty characteristics of China’s famous Bai Lin Congfu black tea. This tea is beautiful in taste and construction with a delicate array of golden-orange buds and a distinct fuzz showcasing the skill used in hand crafting this tea. With notes of caramel and cream, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 10 is an enduring way to reenergize in the morning, afternoon or before a night out on the town.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

Backlog:

I have tried three different teas from Joseph Wesley Black Tea and I loved all three. (The other reviews will be posted soon! Yeah, I’m still behind.) It would be hard for me to choose a favorite from the three that I tried. I could curl up in a cup of any one of them and be a happy tea sipper.

I love this company. They celebrate the beauty of tea. The artistry of it. Tea is something that should be celebrated … and I like that Joseph Wesley embraces that.

A beautiful dry leaf. Dark brown with lots of golden tips. The aroma is earthy.

The flavor is remarkably smooth and rich. Imagine warm, silky caramel. Yeah … that’s what I taste here. Luxurious and decadent. Indulgent! In my full-length review of this tea (see it here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/11/16/no-6-bai-lin-congfu-black-tea-from-joseph-wesley-black-tea/ ) I compare tasting this tea to licking the batter from a beater after mixing up a chocolate cake: you know you shouldn’t be so indulgent but you can’t resist. This tea … tastes like that. Indulgent … but what makes this better than the chocolate cake batter is that it’s guilt free!

A must try.

__Morgana__

Shopping list!

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks again for the nice review. We’re headed back to China in April to find a couple more black teas to add to the collection and look forward to reading your response. Cheers, Joe

The dry smell of Bai Lin Congfu is heavy on the dust. Strangely though, it’s a clean sort of dust–the kind you’d find at a well-run bakery. In the cup, this quiets down a lot, bringing you more of the saccharine fruit notes to come.

Our first infusion, all dressed up in a amber-red liquor, brings us Honey Nut Cheerios. This is all well and good, unless… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/09/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-2/

This was the tea I was most excited to try because the notes about caramel sounded so good. Unfortunately, all I got was malt. Not bad, but not great. I really like Classic Chinese and the Lapsang, and even the Dian Congfu better.

This is such a delightful tea. It opens with notes of smooth, silky cream, caramel, honey and baked bread. There are whispers of cocoa along with an almond nuttiness that makes me think of marzipan. There’s a hint of dried apricot. It’s decadent and sweet like cake batter; it’s thick and full, like pudding. I wouldn’t call it a “heavy” tea. Body falls somewhere between medium and full. Gosh, it’s so creamy! I don’t think I’ve ever had a Bai Lin that was so creamy.

I prepare a second steep. As the timer is about to ring, I lean over my cup to smell it…I sigh, and let out an audible “oh my god”. It smells like lightly toasted cinnamon bread, with buttercream frosting, and honey. It smells like French toast without syrup. It smells like a whole slew of delicious, mouth-watering pastries. The taste? It’s like apricot jam on buttered toast with a light dusting of cinnamon, paired with a tall glass of milk. It’s good. I’m still catching notes of honey, cream, and a tiny bit of malt. It’s soft, gentle, and buttery but it has so much flavor. I’m in awe. There are some brighter tones in this steep that are like white raisins or citrus, but they’re not intense enough for me to pin down. The citrusy notes are again in the third steep, along with honey and milk foam. Overall the last steep is much lighter than the first two. The leaves are nearly spent.

This was only a small sample in my last order, but it definitely goes on my reorder list. I’ll miss this too much when it’s gone.

Method:
2tsp/10oz
Preboiling
First steep: 1min 30sec
Second steep: 2min
Third steep: 3min

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Baked Bread, Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Dried Fruit, Frosting, Honey, Malt, Marzipan, Pastries, Toast

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

happy to read that you enjoyed the bai lin hong cha. Cheers – joe

SOOO GOOD if you love creamy black teas! This black is super smooth with lots of creamy, raisin, chocolate, malt, caramel and toast. It’s like liquid bread pudding!

This tea does a great second infusion and can take long infusions for travel mugs or forgetful steepers.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/06-bai-lin-congfu-black-from-joseph-wesley-black-tea-tea-review/ (and cheese stealing owl)

190 °F / 87 °C 2 min, 30 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML

oh god this sounds so good…

i’ve had it before..but right now i’m wishing it was in my cupboard lol

Anlina

That sounds amazing.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Really happy to read that you enjoy the Bai Lin Congfu. Cheers!

And continuing on with my sample sip downs at work today, this was the one I was drinking later in the afternoon and was by far the best of the bunch.

The dry leaves in this are just beautiful, all nice golden and fuzzy. As for the taste all I have to say is WOW sweet potato!!!! Oooozes sweet potato. I’m getting some chocolate, cocoa in the aroma, but I can’t really actually taste them. I’m sure if I’d been at home I could have coaxed the chocolate notes out, but don’t really have that luxury at work. There is no doubt that this is a quality tea.
Thank you scribbles for sharing this wonderful tea. :))

looseTman

+1 for scribbles

Dexter

Scribbles is awesome, amazing, so very generous. :))

Fjellrev

Sounds wonderful!

looseTman

Dexter – I totally agree!

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

I justed noticed your review and am happy to read that you enjoyed the Bai Lin Congfu. As you already noted, this tea is a real work of art. Cheers, Joe

Another sample from the awesome Scribbles!! She sent me a few Joseph Wesley teas to try in addition to all the Assam teas that she scent me.

When I first smelled the dry tea, there was a very strong scent of cinnamon and sweet fruit. I think there was some scent contamination from how it was packaged, I left it in an envelope with other fruity flavoured teas.

However, after it was brewed, the cinnamon scent was gone. There was a very sweet potato scent to the tea, slightly vegetal, a bit malty.

I quite like other Bailin Congfu teas and this one doesn’t disappoint. The liquor is thick but it is not bitter or too bold at all. There is a slight spice, which I am unsure if it is supposed to taste like that or if it was the contamination, but either way, I like it. There is the sweet potato flavour but also a hint of some fruitiness, makes me think of dried fruit. I feel like I am getting a bit of burnt flavour, kind of like burnt caramel without the over the top caramel sweetness, but also it makes me think of charcoal.

This one did not disappoint. I am very grateful to Scribbles for sending me these great teas to try. I think I am starting to like this Joseph Wesley character :)

i really like their teas

Next up this morning is a tea sample from scribbles. I think this is third Joseph Wesley tea I’ve tried out of the four she sent. I’ve tried one or two Bai Lin teas before any enjoyed them, so I had high hopes for this one! The leaves remind me of Jin Jun Mei. They’re very thin and wiry and twisty, but they’re fuzzy and soft-looking and they have sort of a tiger stripe pattern going on. Dry scent is very mild malt and grain with some honey sweetness. I steeped a teaspoon of leaf for 3 minutes at 200 degrees. I think in this case, I would use a touch more leaf.

The brewed aroma is dark wheat bread and tangy molasses with some raisin/prune notes. Isn’t it amazing how sometimes the aroma and taste of a tea are completely different? That’s definitely the case here. While the aroma is dark, the taste is a lovely melange of lighter, airier flavors. The bread is there, but now it reminds me of toasted light bread with just that slight crispness. I would also compare it to a buttery pastry. There are some oat-y notes along with the lightest touch of honey and golden raisin. Underneath all of these light flavors is a nice deep caramel richness. Oh, so creamy!

I will say that there is the tiniest minerality here that leads me to believe I made it with tap water. Our roommate makes coffee in the morning, and he uses tap water. We’re out of coffee right now, but this morning there was some water in the electric kettle. I didn’t think anything of it, but it was probably tap water. Sigh.

Flavors: Almond, Baked Bread, Caramel, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Honey, Oats, Pastries, Toast

Happy to read you like the Bai Lin Congfu. This tea is a real work of art! -Joe

Another tea from Boychik, I went with a lower temp on this one, & it was gentle & tasty. I know I should probably give a better description, but that’s all I’ve got right now, it was a few hours ago that I drank it.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Happy to read that you enjoyed the tea. Cheers!

i had this a long time ago in a galaxy far far away… another really nice cup from joseph wesley :)

LiberTEAS

I love Joseph Wesley teas!

they are great. I’ve had a number of samples of them but haven’t been able to get my cupboard down enough to place an order…but they’re on the list!