Almond, Baked Bread, Caramel, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Honey, Oats, Pastries, Toast, Chocolate, Cocoa
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Backlog: I have tried three different teas from Joseph Wesley Black Tea and I loved all three. (The other reviews will be posted soon! Yeah, I'm still behind.) It would be hard for me to...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4550 tasting notes
  • “The dry smell of Bai Lin Congfu is heavy on the dust. Strangely though, it’s a clean sort of dust–the kind you’d find at a well-run bakery. In the cup, this quiets down a lot, bringing you more of...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “Another sample from the awesome *Scribbles*!! She sent me a few Joseph Wesley teas to try in addition to all the Assam teas that she scent me. When I first smelled the dry tea, there was a very...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 783 tasting notes
  • “Next up this morning is a tea sample from *scribbles*. I think this is third Joseph Wesley tea I've tried out of the four she sent. I've tried one or two Bai Lin teas before any enjoyed them, so I...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 711 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Made only from the young buds of the Da-Bai tea cultivar, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 6 showcases the sweet, smooth and slightly toasty characteristics of China’s famous Bai Lin Congfu black tea. This tea is beautiful in taste and construction with a delicate array of golden-orange buds and a distinct fuzz showcasing the skill used in hand crafting this tea. With notes of caramel and cream, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 10 is an enduring way to reenergize in the morning, afternoon or before a night out on the town.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

Backlog:

I have tried three different teas from Joseph Wesley Black Tea and I loved all three. (The other reviews will be posted soon! Yeah, I’m still behind.) It would be hard for me to choose a favorite from the three that I tried. I could curl up in a cup of any one of them and be a happy tea sipper.

I love this company. They celebrate the beauty of tea. The artistry of it. Tea is something that should be celebrated … and I like that Joseph Wesley embraces that.

A beautiful dry leaf. Dark brown with lots of golden tips. The aroma is earthy.

The flavor is remarkably smooth and rich. Imagine warm, silky caramel. Yeah … that’s what I taste here. Luxurious and decadent. Indulgent! In my full-length review of this tea (see it here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/11/16/no-6-bai-lin-congfu-black-tea-from-joseph-wesley-black-tea/ ) I compare tasting this tea to licking the batter from a beater after mixing up a chocolate cake: you know you shouldn’t be so indulgent but you can’t resist. This tea … tastes like that. Indulgent … but what makes this better than the chocolate cake batter is that it’s guilt free!

A must try.

__Morgana__

Shopping list!

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks again for the nice review. We’re headed back to China in April to find a couple more black teas to add to the collection and look forward to reading your response. Cheers, Joe

The dry smell of Bai Lin Congfu is heavy on the dust. Strangely though, it’s a clean sort of dust–the kind you’d find at a well-run bakery. In the cup, this quiets down a lot, bringing you more of the saccharine fruit notes to come.

Our first infusion, all dressed up in a amber-red liquor, brings us Honey Nut Cheerios. This is all well and good, unless… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/09/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-2/

Another sample from the awesome Scribbles!! She sent me a few Joseph Wesley teas to try in addition to all the Assam teas that she scent me.

When I first smelled the dry tea, there was a very strong scent of cinnamon and sweet fruit. I think there was some scent contamination from how it was packaged, I left it in an envelope with other fruity flavoured teas.

However, after it was brewed, the cinnamon scent was gone. There was a very sweet potato scent to the tea, slightly vegetal, a bit malty.

I quite like other Bailin Congfu teas and this one doesn’t disappoint. The liquor is thick but it is not bitter or too bold at all. There is a slight spice, which I am unsure if it is supposed to taste like that or if it was the contamination, but either way, I like it. There is the sweet potato flavour but also a hint of some fruitiness, makes me think of dried fruit. I feel like I am getting a bit of burnt flavour, kind of like burnt caramel without the over the top caramel sweetness, but also it makes me think of charcoal.

This one did not disappoint. I am very grateful to Scribbles for sending me these great teas to try. I think I am starting to like this Joseph Wesley character :)

i really like their teas

Next up this morning is a tea sample from scribbles. I think this is third Joseph Wesley tea I’ve tried out of the four she sent. I’ve tried one or two Bai Lin teas before any enjoyed them, so I had high hopes for this one! The leaves remind me of Jin Jun Mei. They’re very thin and wiry and twisty, but they’re fuzzy and soft-looking and they have sort of a tiger stripe pattern going on. Dry scent is very mild malt and grain with some honey sweetness. I steeped a teaspoon of leaf for 3 minutes at 200 degrees. I think in this case, I would use a touch more leaf.

The brewed aroma is dark wheat bread and tangy molasses with some raisin/prune notes. Isn’t it amazing how sometimes the aroma and taste of a tea are completely different? That’s definitely the case here. While the aroma is dark, the taste is a lovely melange of lighter, airier flavors. The bread is there, but now it reminds me of toasted light bread with just that slight crispness. I would also compare it to a buttery pastry. There are some oat-y notes along with the lightest touch of honey and golden raisin. Underneath all of these light flavors is a nice deep caramel richness. Oh, so creamy!

I will say that there is the tiniest minerality here that leads me to believe I made it with tap water. Our roommate makes coffee in the morning, and he uses tap water. We’re out of coffee right now, but this morning there was some water in the electric kettle. I didn’t think anything of it, but it was probably tap water. Sigh.

Flavors: Almond, Baked Bread, Caramel, Creamy, Dried Fruit, Honey, Oats, Pastries, Toast

Happy to read you like the Bai Lin Congfu. This tea is a real work of art! -Joe

Another tea from Boychik, I went with a lower temp on this one, & it was gentle & tasty. I know I should probably give a better description, but that’s all I’ve got right now, it was a few hours ago that I drank it.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Happy to read that you enjoyed the tea. Cheers!

i had this a long time ago in a galaxy far far away… another really nice cup from joseph wesley :)

LiberTEAS

I love Joseph Wesley teas!

they are great. I’ve had a number of samples of them but haven’t been able to get my cupboard down enough to place an order…but they’re on the list!

Queued post, written April 20th 2014

I think Husband is broken. I’ve been giving him the choice between the JW samples three times now, and he still hasn’t chosen the lapsang souchong. Is this the act of Cornflakes-man, I ask you? This is very disturbing. Do you think it might be bodysnatchers? O.O

Now, this one I would, had circumstances (ie shipping fees and my bank account) been different, have got a full tin of without even blinking. But, there were other choices that I also wanted a full tin of, both of which were new to me and with infinite potential for being Interesting, so I had to make do with a sample. Okay. I can live with that.

This is one of those kinds of tea where I know for certain sure that I’ll like it without having to have to sample it first. The very name of it alone is worth the first 80 points on the Steepster scale. It’s not a type which has to prove itself to me first, like an Assam or a Ceylon does.

There is a creamy sort of quality to the aroma of this one. I haven’t added anything to the cup, I never do, but it smells like there might have been a drop of cream in there somewhere. Apart from that it’s got that grain-y note that I love, but I’m not picking up too much in the way of cocoa notes.

Once upon a time I had a Bai Lin. The first one I ever had, and it tasted like mandarins. Therefore this is a note I always look for, but have never found again. Well, that’s not true, it may have been there in others, but never to the same extent. For this reason my ideal BL tastes like mandarins.

This one is grainy and cocoa-y and it has a sort of springy freshness to it. It’s a bit giddy, a bit bouncy. JW calls it elegant and sophisticated, but for me there’s a childish glee in it that doesn’t really equate ‘elegant and sophisticated’ at all.

It does not, however, deliver on the mandarins. Oh well. Perhaps I’m chasing shadows. It’s very enjoyable all the same.

The scent of this tea is relatively mild compared to similar teas out there. I can definitely smell a light sweetness & something that resembles bread, but there isn’t anything all that specific for my nose to pick out at the moment. Some teas slap you with a strong scent, but this one is so gentle!

Sipping… This is such a smooth tea which makes it very enjoyable to sip! It’s not creamy or silky, but smooth and mild. The main flavor that I’m picking up is sourdough bread. I also detect a mild caramel note, but my tastebuds have to look for it. This tea has a beautiful flavor, but it’s very much a whisper. You have to take time to look for the subtle flavors and I think that’s what makes this tea special. This is certainly a lovely, calm (perhaps needy) cup of tea that is begs for one’s full attention!

*A note about my second steep of this tea: I do detect some lemon notes (which could very well be the result of the “sour” character from the sourdough bread) mixed with the bready ones.. so I’m getting a something like an unfrosted, more rustic lemon loaf which is quite lovely!

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thank you for the nice review QueenOfTarts. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed the Bai Lin Congfu. Cheers, Joe

ugh. if only shipping weren’t so terrible. I really want to try the sampler pack of all the joseph teas.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Sil, we are now carried in Windsor, Ontario at the Anchor House Coffee House. They have agreed to help ship orders within Canada, but the orders will go through them not me. If you are interested in having some samples delivered to you, contact me through our website and we can work something out. cheers, Joe www.josephwesleytea.com

QueenOfTarts

Joe, very much enjoying the tea so far! This will be on my re-order list. Thank you!
Sil – I hope you get to try some of this tea! If you aren’t able to, perhaps we could arrange a swap or something.

Great! Thanks QueenOfTarts.

i picked this tea at NYC Coffee and Tea Festival. I still have nice memories abt festival and meeting Joseph Wesley. he recognized my accent asking if i’m from Russia and also shared that he spent several months there.
i had this tea several times but didnt recorded for some unknown reason. Today i prepared it western style 1tsp 200F 8oz 2 min
This tea is rich,malty,chocolaty sweet with some nut notes. as it cooled all the flavors became more pronounced and meld into each other. i decided to increase the temp to 205F for resteep for 3min. Wow, 2nd steep is bolder, richer and flavorful. now I’m wondering if it would be a good idea to rinse it to open up leaves. I’m sure i can get one or two resteeps more.
I’m happy that i picked this tea and planning to restock once I run out of it.

Marzipan

Are you Russian?

boychik

I’m from Russia.

Marzipan

I have always wanted to go there.

First tea of the morning. The smooth sweet caramel is just what I need this morning to ease me awake gently. There is a bit of breadiness, a little bit of malt but the caramel is especially prominent for me this morning. Like all of the other Joseph Wesley teas I have, this is just a classy tea.

Flavors: Caramel

TheTeaFairy

Yum….Have you had Teavivre’s Bailin Gongfu? Same flavour profile, they must be very similar…

MzPriss

Yes they are similar. I almost had the Teavivre one, but I can’t get the lid off the tin :( but I love JW teas so much. Am finished with it now though and am going to make some Golden Orchid since you mentioned it :)

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Nice review for the beginning of the week. Thanks for your support!

MzPriss

@Joe – you know how much I love your tea! Hope you had a good holiday.