Dark Chocolate, Fig, Floral, Plums, Sweet, Malt, Chocolate, Milk, Musty, Wood, Almond, Apricot, Baked Bread, Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Dried Fruit, Frosting, Honey, Marzipan, Pastries, Toast, Creamy, Oats
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Backlog: I have tried three different teas from Joseph Wesley Black Tea and I loved all three. (The other reviews will be posted soon! Yeah, I’m still behind.) It would be hard for me to...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4846 tasting notes
  • “The dry smell of Bai Lin Congfu is heavy on the dust. Strangely though, it’s a clean sort of dust–the kind you’d find at a well-run bakery. In the cup, this quiets down a lot, bringing you more of...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “This tea is good, quite good. It is slightly malty. It has chocolate notes. It can be described as creamy. It is one of the best black teas I have tried. I brewed this once in a 16oz Teavana Glass...” Read full tasting note
    AllanK 1455 tasting notes
  • “I am brewing this gongfu style. The leaves in a warm gaiwan smell chocolatey and buttery. It has kind of graham cracker crust or toffee scent as well. The wet leaves smell perfumed and floral with...” Read full tasting note
    Lion 291 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Made only from the young buds of the Da-Bai tea cultivar, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 6 showcases the sweet, smooth and slightly toasty characteristics of China’s famous Bai Lin Congfu black tea. This tea is beautiful in taste and construction with a delicate array of golden-orange buds and a distinct fuzz showcasing the skill used in hand crafting this tea. With notes of caramel and cream, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 10 is an enduring way to reenergize in the morning, afternoon or before a night out on the town.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

Backlog:

I have tried three different teas from Joseph Wesley Black Tea and I loved all three. (The other reviews will be posted soon! Yeah, I’m still behind.) It would be hard for me to choose a favorite from the three that I tried. I could curl up in a cup of any one of them and be a happy tea sipper.

I love this company. They celebrate the beauty of tea. The artistry of it. Tea is something that should be celebrated … and I like that Joseph Wesley embraces that.

A beautiful dry leaf. Dark brown with lots of golden tips. The aroma is earthy.

The flavor is remarkably smooth and rich. Imagine warm, silky caramel. Yeah … that’s what I taste here. Luxurious and decadent. Indulgent! In my full-length review of this tea (see it here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/11/16/no-6-bai-lin-congfu-black-tea-from-joseph-wesley-black-tea/ ) I compare tasting this tea to licking the batter from a beater after mixing up a chocolate cake: you know you shouldn’t be so indulgent but you can’t resist. This tea … tastes like that. Indulgent … but what makes this better than the chocolate cake batter is that it’s guilt free!

A must try.

__Morgana__

Shopping list!

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks again for the nice review. We’re headed back to China in April to find a couple more black teas to add to the collection and look forward to reading your response. Cheers, Joe

The dry smell of Bai Lin Congfu is heavy on the dust. Strangely though, it’s a clean sort of dust–the kind you’d find at a well-run bakery. In the cup, this quiets down a lot, bringing you more of the saccharine fruit notes to come.

Our first infusion, all dressed up in a amber-red liquor, brings us Honey Nut Cheerios. This is all well and good, unless… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/09/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-2/

I brewed this once in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and 185 degree water for 2 min.

I am brewing this gongfu style. The leaves in a warm gaiwan smell chocolatey and buttery. It has kind of graham cracker crust or toffee scent as well. The wet leaves smell perfumed and floral with fig notes.

The flavor of the first infusion is really pleasant. It’s a good mix of dark fruit flavor like plum or fig, with buttery and floral notes. There really isn’t much bitterness to be found here and the feel of the tea is really smooth.

The second infusion is tasting more floral and plum like, really buttery and mouth-filling, juicy. There are notes of chocolate in the aroma of the liquor. The finish of the flavor is like malt and dark chocolate.

By the third infusion the flavor is darker and more sweet. Notes of chocolate come through more strongly. The flavor is rich and more fruity than floral. There are lingering notes of cinnamon.

The fourth infusion is also deep and rich. More of the same flavors as the third, but not quite as sweet.

I was overall impresed by this tea. I have never had tea from Joseph Wesley before, much less even heard of this company before I got this sample, so I’m glad I was pleasantly surprised. I’ve only had maybe three Bailin Gongfu teas before but this was easily my favorite one. Might have to put this on my wishlist! Thanks mtchyg for the sample!

Flavors: Dark Chocolate, Fig, Floral, Plums, Sweet

Liquid Proust

Keeping this on my radar.

Uhhhhm ok so this tea? so good. So so so freakin good!
The first steep was wonderful. Even after it had cooled a bit, I found the flavour to have an essence of warmness about it. Like sitting by a fire, but not too close.
Something creamy in there as well. I found that there were fleeting hints of cocoa as well, but never for long enough for me to grasp it.
The second steep was good too, more like the traditional high quality keemums I first fell in love with and then couldn’t find again, years ago. Not quite as warming or dark, with definite emerging cocoa notes this time, and an edge of creaminess. Finally, I noticed a lingering honey like sweetness in the aftertaste.
It’s been a long time since I was excited about a third steep, so fingers crossed it delivers!

I think I am going to need to try brewing this one again. I followed the brewing instructions that came with the tea and it left me feeling like this tea wasn’t as flavorful or bold as other teas of similar quality. It is a good tea. It is just, as brewed, not quite on the level of others that I have had. I’ll update as needed.

Edit: I brewed in a gaiwan gong fu style this time around with slightly cooler temps. Seemed better flavors came out this time around.

Flavors: Malt

boychik

I make these teas gongfu style only. I think you can easily go 3-3.5 min

mtchyg

Yeah, I’m going to try this one gongfu in the future. I mean, I can certainly taste the potential here. Just, in the way that I made it this time, it kind of underwhelmed. I think this just speaks to my evolution with tea. In the past, I don’t think I would have been experienced enough to point out or even realize some of these things.

Indigobloom

That might be too hot. I brewed mine at about 180/185.

mtchyg

Funny you should comment on this today because I tried it again but this time in my gaiwan tonight. I brewed it at about 185. I liked it better this time around.

Indigobloom

Ah, in that case I’ll forgo trying this one at a higher temp! Not often I see a black tea brewed below (near) boiling

Are we at the point where there are too many high-end, farm to cup tea purveyors? It’s very easy to be seduced by the burgeoning websites touting personal relationships with family farms in China or Estates in India. How much variety is too much? How often is the Chinese black tea from X an upgrade from the one you’ve been enjoying for a while? Maybe the answer is a resounding, “Variety is the spice of life!” But it’s a question I ask myself as I find fewer and fewer of my forays into the offerings of new (to me) sellers end up replacing the teas I’ve come to love and drink regularly.

Now, this is not meant as a criticism of Joseph Wesley’s teas which I’m trying for the first time. I really enjoyed his high end Qimen (not reviewed yet) and this Bai Lin is certainly pleasant. But is the Qimen better than the ones I’ve had from Upton, a place I’ve been ordering from for years and from whom I can order a whole variety of excellent teas? Hard to say. When I go to the store, I can choose between 20 different kinds of olive oil or yogurt but the myriad of choices just makes me anxious (or maybe it’s just the fluorescent lighting).

Anyway, back to this tea, which I’m finding hard to categorize. It’s not as chocolatey as its nose suggests it will be; it’s actually more vegetal and grainy. I think I went too heavy on the leaf the first time—when I used less, I had a better result.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Hey, Doug. I’m sorry to read that you’ve reached your existential crisis with our teas. But, it sounds like you’re in a really good place with your available options of tea. I hope that we find more people like you who have taken such time and commitment to sample so many teas. Keep up the great work and keep spreading your love. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Qimen! -Joe

Doug F

I have the same problem with books and music. But I do think your Qimen stands out from the rest and is actually a bargain to boot, so I plan on reordering. I do like your focus on black teas as I’m not a big drinker of greens or oolongs. And again, no reflection on your business or teas; if there are enough loose leaf tea drinkers to support everyone—that’s great!

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

It’s been fascinating for me to discover not only the diversity of responses to our teas but also with the reaction to my little project: Joseph Wesley Black Tea. Thank you for your openness and especially for taking time to write a review. I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

TeaBrat

lol on the existential crisis comment. it’s fun tasting new teas but I reached my peak on that about 2 years ago and am less inclined to want everything under the sun.

Doug F

Me too. I’m trying to become more of an essentialist, but it’s hard.

I’ve come to a realization today.
I’m really not that huge on teas with chocolate notes. I mean, I like the Golden Monkey teas that have chocolate notes in it, and GO is pretty good-not my favorite and still don’t know for sure if I’m gonna buy more again. Like I went into GO thinking it was gonna be super vanilla-y. So I was pretty disappointed when it was just chocolate tea basically, but it was more of a deep, richer chocolate…if that makes sense? So I liked it, and I still have a little left, I really should drink the rest soon to see if I still like it. Feel like I used to be bigger on things tasting like chocolate-but only like a deep richer chocolate like GO. I rarely even eat chocolate. If I do it’s because there’s caramel with it or it’s combined with matcha or something.
This tea kinda surprised me. It was a strong flavor but it really reminded me of milk chocolate which I reallyyyy do not like to eat. Even if it’s a chocolate bar filled with caramel it’s just not that good when it is milk chocolate.. White chocolate I like though. Dark chocolate, I have to be in the mood for and that’s becoming more and more rare.
Milk chocolate…just no.
So yeah, I mean, if you LOVE teas that have chocolate flavors this is one for you! It really is chocolatey. It also has hints of like wood….kinda musty actually-even though that sounds horrible, like the chocolate is the main flavor so it’s not bad.
Not my favorite tea, but I have been wanting to try it for so long, so I’m excited I finally did! (:

Flavors: Chocolate, Milk, Musty, Wood

Kristal

I love chocolate, but strangely I’m not big on chocolate teas either.

This was the tea I was most excited to try because the notes about caramel sounded so good. Unfortunately, all I got was malt. Not bad, but not great. I really like Classic Chinese and the Lapsang, and even the Dian Congfu better.

This is such a delightful tea. It opens with notes of smooth, silky cream, caramel, honey and baked bread. There are whispers of cocoa along with an almond nuttiness that makes me think of marzipan. There’s a hint of dried apricot. It’s decadent and sweet like cake batter; it’s thick and full, like pudding. I wouldn’t call it a “heavy” tea. Body falls somewhere between medium and full. Gosh, it’s so creamy! I don’t think I’ve ever had a Bai Lin that was so creamy.

I prepare a second steep. As the timer is about to ring, I lean over my cup to smell it…I sigh, and let out an audible “oh my god”. It smells like lightly toasted cinnamon bread, with buttercream frosting, and honey. It smells like French toast without syrup. It smells like a whole slew of delicious, mouth-watering pastries. The taste? It’s like apricot jam on buttered toast with a light dusting of cinnamon, paired with a tall glass of milk. It’s good. I’m still catching notes of honey, cream, and a tiny bit of malt. It’s soft, gentle, and buttery but it has so much flavor. I’m in awe. There are some brighter tones in this steep that are like white raisins or citrus, but they’re not intense enough for me to pin down. The citrusy notes are again in the third steep, along with honey and milk foam. Overall the last steep is much lighter than the first two. The leaves are nearly spent.

This was only a small sample in my last order, but it definitely goes on my reorder list. I’ll miss this too much when it’s gone.

Method:
2tsp/10oz
Preboiling
First steep: 1min 30sec
Second steep: 2min
Third steep: 3min

Flavors: Almond, Apricot, Baked Bread, Butter, Caramel, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Cream, Dried Fruit, Frosting, Honey, Malt, Marzipan, Pastries, Toast

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

happy to read that you enjoyed the bai lin hong cha. Cheers – joe