Dian Hong Congfu

Dried Fruit, Earth, Honey, Mineral, Raisins, Smoke, Caramel, Cocoa, Lemon Zest, Malt, Metallic
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

• “Backlog: I am simply in awe of this company. The black teas they offer are so good. And they not only taste good, but the leaves are absolutely gorgeous. These are artistically crafted teas...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4825 tasting notes
  • “For our Dian Hong Congfu, the dry leaves greet you with a smell of sulfurous dried peaches, the ones you bought last summer and left forgotten in the back of your pantry until now. They’re still...” Read full tasting note
    SnootyTeaPerson 90 tasting notes
  • “Again, gorgeous leaves. A mix of dark and light brown, medium length, and twisted. I gong fu-brewed this, starting with about a 45-second infusion. The liquor is a gorgeous dark amber. The taste is...” Read full tasting note
    Tealizzy 744 tasting notes
  • “This one is again, from Scribbles! This will be just a quick note. I either did not steep this one long enough or use enough leaf. The overall taste is good. Malty. Earthy but not is a dirt way, if...” Read full tasting note
    Lala1 829 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

At the foot of the Himalayas in southwestern China the great tea masters of the Yunnan Province have been hand crafting some of the world’s most unique teas for centuries. Yet, not until the 20th century did this region produce the unique Dian Hong Gong Fu (Yunnan Black) tea. Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 4 is a spotlessly clean representation of this now famous tea. With its crystal clear red liquor, beautiful golden buds, robust and malty taste and its exquisite construction, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 4 is as much a work of art as it is a delicious tea.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

Backlog:

I am simply in awe of this company. The black teas they offer are so good. And they not only taste good, but the leaves are absolutely gorgeous. These are artistically crafted teas using nothing but the camellia sinensis leaf. No extra ingredients to make the tea look pretty. It looks good on its own.

This tea is a bit more astringent than the previously reviewed Bai Lin Congfu Black from this company. It has a nice malty tone. Sweet with a very enjoyable “bake-y” sort of taste and that ‘chewy’ sort of texture. Whispers of smoke in the distance.

Bold and strong. Caramel-y and somewhat earthy.

Another MUST TRY from this company. Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/11/25/4-dian-hong-congfu-black-tea-joseph-wesley-black-tea/

Nicole

I soooo want to order from them. Soon.

For our Dian Hong Congfu, the dry leaves greet you with a smell of sulfurous dried peaches, the ones you bought last summer and left forgotten in the back of your pantry until now. They’re still edible, but you might not want to serve them to anyone else–just in case. Once steeped, the hot water resusci-tea-tes the fruity scent and your peaches get a bit more lively. Happy zombie peaches.

The first infusion is a sweet golden cup to go along with your newly revived fruit basket. It hardly needs sweetener or milk, because that peach just… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/09/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-2/

Nicole

Zombie peach flavor. Not sure if that sounds good or bad… :)

Again, gorgeous leaves. A mix of dark and light brown, medium length, and twisted. I gong fu-brewed this, starting with about a 45-second infusion. The liquor is a gorgeous dark amber. The taste is complex, with notes of malt, potato, caramel. It has a silky texture, and there is also a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg. In the third infusion, some fruity notes made an appearance. This is good stuff!

This one is again, from Scribbles!

The overall taste is good. Malty. Earthy but not is a dirt way, if that makes sense. There is a very nice natural sweetness to the tea. I get hints of roasted potatoes or something like that.

It is just too thin and weak. I will have to adjust and report back.

Edit:
I made another cup with about 2 tsp. This tea is pretty “airy” so I thought I should use a bit more. The flavours stayed the same but it was much more thicker liquor. Even though the mouthfeel was thicker it still tasted a bit thin/weak. Overall still a good tea. Not the best Dian Hong I have had though.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Tonight’s tea adventure come courtesy of scribbles – wonderful, caring, generous, amazing tea friend. She sent me a message awhile ago saying something like – “I was browsing through your cupboard and noticed a gaping hole, so I’m sending you some samples that I think you should try.” At the time I had about 300 teas in my cupboard and couldn’t really believe that I had any holes – but as always scibbles was correct…..

This tea, what can I say about this tea. This is everything I love about Yunnan black tea. This is exactly what it should be. It’s sweet – honey, it’s a little malty, it’s a little sweet potato, thre is just a touch of stone fruit hanging around in the back. It’s awesome. I’m not getting the smoke that others have mentioned. The leaves are beautiful – not really tippy, more of a combination of black and gold leaves. I love golden teas, but the black balances this nicely – makes it more tealike. Yep even in my exploded cupboard, there is room for this one.
Thank you scribbles for introducing me to yet another amazing tea.

caile

Beautiful!

scribbles

Haha! :) I wish I was ‘always’ right, but in this case I’m happy I was! Nice photos!

Another sample from Cameron! This is my first Joseph Wesley tea. I enjoyed it, although it had more of a vegetal flavor than many of the Dian Hongs I have had. It definitely had a lot of character and was multi faceted.

After-workout tea! You would think I would want something light, but I guess not. :P This sample came from scribbles (she sent me basically all of the Joseph Wesley teas). The leaves of this tea are about medium in size and just slightly twisty. I would say they’re about 60% black to 40% gold. I’m not sure why I feel the need to be specific on that, but oh well. Dry scent is mild malt with nice Yunnan-y honey and stonefruit notes. I steeped a heaping teaspoon for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Whew, this is definitely a darker Yunnan by the smell. There’s a lot of earthiness here with some mineral and smoke qualities. Happily for me, the taste is very well-balanced. That earthy quality is here as well, but is nicely softened by a dark fruitiness and the sweetness of honey. I do get some minerality along with a slight smoke. Overall, not my favorite tea, but a good one. :)

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Earth, Honey, Mineral, Raisins, Smoke

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks again for taking your time to drink and enjoy our tea (and sharing your thoughts). -Joe

This one definitely falls into the fruity spectrum of Yunnan’s with the brewed tea smelling of apricots along with something a little bit sharper, leather, malt honey and grain.

I steeped 1 TSP in 220ml of water three times at about 95°C.

1 min. Apricot, honey, grain, and hints of malt and leather spice. The tea is sweet, grainy and rich. As it cools, deeper malt tones become apparent and a prune note appears.

2 min. Apricot, honey, leather, cocoa and grain.

4 min. Malt, leather, grainy notes, and a bit of cream.

Nice and different from my existing Yunnans

Thanks boychik for the sample!

glad you liked it;)

Cameron B.

Sounds amazing! Must wishlist. :)

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

I’m also glad you enjoyed the tea. Excellent breakdown of the various flavors at each steeping interval. Thanks, Joe

yyz

Thanks! I’ve very much enjoyed sampling your teas so far.

Giving this one a try as my afternoon study tea. I’ve been drinking a lot of tea to keep me going the past few days. I have a big exam coming up at the beginning of July and need to study like crazy. I’m not getting a whole lot from the scent of this tea, it’s a bit soft. I do detect some sweetness, but otherwise it seems to want to hide its character from me until I sip!

Sipping… interesting.. not a very strong flavor from the tea. I wasn’t expecting the tea to mirror the scent as much as it is. I’m picking up on grapes, sugar and something a little bit metallic in the finish. It’s light, but satisfying at the same time.

It’s not as gutsy as some of the other black teas out there, but this is such a nice, light tea that it is perfect for the summer or spring. You know those teas that are darker, richer and sort of weigh you down? This tea is definitely one that can be had all day, no matter the occasion. What a lovely brew for this afternoon!

Happy to read that you enjoyed the tea. Cheers, Joe

the lovely boychik sent this my way and i’m ever so glad that she did. I’ve been wanting to try the Joseph teas for a while now, given the rave reviews but could hardly justify the ridiculous shipping for samples. I’d rather get a chance to try a few and then place a real order via my tea mule.

I’m also glad that i brewed this one along side that gross david’s tea since THIS is such a lovelier cup of tea. There is a hint of astringency to this one but nothing that would interfere with the pleasure of drinking this. it’s got a nice malt feel too it, though i wouldn’t call it an overly malty tea. there is some sweetness here that reminds me of peach but isn’t peach…just a really nice tea.

Cameron B.

Lol, your tea mule! Epic. :P

I hope you’re feeling better!

getting there…much better than sat/sun :)

Cavocorax

Are you working from home today? :O Hope you feel better soon.

yes..working from home.. and by working i mean attending meetings and doing what i can to not get too far behind while sitting on the couch and in the bed relaxing as much as possible.

OMGsrsly

Ooh, good to read you’re resting lots (and drinking loads of tea!).

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Sil, happy to read that you enjoyed the tea. We’ve been working with a cafe in Windsor who can ship our teas within Canada for a much more reasonable rate than I can). If you are interested in trying our teas, contact me and I’ll put you in contact with the great people over at Anchor Coffee House ([email protected]) — as a reminder, for those in the US we have free shipping for all orders over $40. cheers, Joe

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

—and I hope you get well soon!

boychik

i hope you feel better by now. Staying home and drinking tea and chicken soup are a must.
Im really glad you liked the tea. Sorry i couldnt share more. i finished all the JW teas i got on NYC tea fest. i have to place an order by Sept., i really hope to get my cupboard somewhat manageable during the summer. these teas are definite restock.

Joe – thanks for that, sounds great. And no issues with the shipping thresholds as a general rule, just tough to swallow when i haven’t tried your teas. But now that i have thanks to boychik, an order is likely imminent haha (once i get things under cupboard control!)

Boychik – appreciate what you could spare… so happy to be able to try these!

boychik

Anytime you want to sample something fr my cupboard do not hesitate haha Just found 2 boxes of Verdant teas in my closet from last summer… Why is it there, dont ask. have no answer…

TheTeaFairy

Haha! Boychik, maybe you had something to hide?

boychik

you are right TheTeaFairy, i hide it fr my family. i just got a package fr Amazon with shampoo and my dd asked me if its a tea. She said, “Are you sure?” …lol

boychik – i know how that goes… you send me lots of teas to try thereby reducing YOUR cupboard…and don’t let me send you anything!

boychik

no i swear, it wasnt my plan. And i didnt send you huge amounts, just to sample. And I will ask you in September. i just go to rural place in PA, i have to drive 20-30min to get my mail.