Dian Hong Congfu

Dried Fruit, Earth, Honey, Mineral, Raisins, Smoke, Caramel, Cocoa, Lemon Zest, Malt, Metallic
Edit tea info Last updated by LiberTEAS

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

At the foot of the Himalayas in southwestern China the great tea masters of the Yunnan Province have been hand crafting some of the world’s most unique teas for centuries. Yet, not until the 20th century did this region produce the unique Dian Hong Gong Fu (Yunnan Black) tea. Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 4 is a spotlessly clean representation of this now famous tea. With its crystal clear red liquor, beautiful golden buds, robust and malty taste and its exquisite construction, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 4 is as much a work of art as it is a delicious tea.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

Backlog:

I am simply in awe of this company. The black teas they offer are so good. And they not only taste good, but the leaves are absolutely gorgeous. These are artistically crafted teas using nothing but the camellia sinensis leaf. No extra ingredients to make the tea look pretty. It looks good on its own.

This tea is a bit more astringent than the previously reviewed Bai Lin Congfu Black from this company. It has a nice malty tone. Sweet with a very enjoyable “bake-y” sort of taste and that ‘chewy’ sort of texture. Whispers of smoke in the distance.

Bold and strong. Caramel-y and somewhat earthy.

Another MUST TRY from this company. Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2013/11/25/4-dian-hong-congfu-black-tea-joseph-wesley-black-tea/

Nicole/Tea-Historic

I soooo want to order from them. Soon.

For our Dian Hong Congfu, the dry leaves greet you with a smell of sulfurous dried peaches, the ones you bought last summer and left forgotten in the back of your pantry until now. They’re still edible, but you might not want to serve them to anyone else–just in case. Once steeped, the hot water resusci-tea-tes the fruity scent and your peaches get a bit more lively. Happy zombie peaches.

The first infusion is a sweet golden cup to go along with your newly revived fruit basket. It hardly needs sweetener or milk, because that peach just… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/11/09/snooty-tea-review-joseph-wesley-black-tea-round-2/

Nicole/Tea-Historic

Zombie peach flavor. Not sure if that sounds good or bad… :)

I gongfu steeped this and got this Dian Hong to produce some excellent sweet apricot, malt, molasses, and mineral flavors. The flavor is full force (though I did ratio on the high side), and got a nice silky texture. A little bit of astringency at the final 9th steep, but no bitterness.

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/04-dian-hong-congfu-joseph-wesley-black-tea-tea-review/

1 g 0 OZ / 13 ML

GAHHHHH!! I had a note all typed up and it disappeared. So I’ll make this quick as I need to sleep:
Mulled molasses. Aftertastes of lemon molasses candy.
Five steeps, but not much variation between them. Last and first were my faves.

This was the afternoon tea for me today, and to be honest I do not know what to make of it. The best words I can use to describe it today are soft. It was like it left me hanging a bit. The flavor was there. The upper range of light and fruity, but I guess I was expecting more base to really give it more of a hearty edge. I haven’t had many, if any, Dian Hong, so i think it was purely poor expectations for me. I will keep experimenting with my sample. For me I got a light sweet bread flavor out of this tea that was really smooth.

Again, gorgeous leaves. A mix of dark and light brown, medium length, and twisted. I gong fu-brewed this, starting with about a 45-second infusion. The liquor is a gorgeous dark amber. The taste is complex, with notes of malt, potato, caramel. It has a silky texture, and there is also a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg. In the third infusion, some fruity notes made an appearance. This is good stuff!

This one is again, from Scribbles!

This will be just a quick note. I either did not steep this one long enough or use enough leaf.

The overall taste is good. Malty. Earthy but not is a dirt way, if that makes sense. There is a very nice natural sweetness to the tea. I get hints of roasted potatoes or something like that.

It is just too thin and weak. I will have to adjust and report back.

Edit:
I made another cup with about 2 tsp. This tea is pretty “airy” so I thought I should use a bit more. The flavours stayed the same but it was much more thicker liquor. Even though the mouthfeel was thicker it still tasted a bit thin/weak. Overall still a good tea. Not the best Dian Hong I have had though.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Tonight’s tea adventure come courtesy of scribbles – wonderful, caring, generous, amazing tea friend. She sent me a message awhile ago saying something like – “I was browsing through your cupboard and noticed a gaping hole, so I’m sending you some samples that I think you should try.” At the time I had about 300 teas in my cupboard and couldn’t really believe that I had any holes – but as always scibbles was correct…..

This tea, what can I say about this tea. This is everything I love about Yunnan black tea. This is exactly what it should be. It’s sweet – honey, it’s a little malty, it’s a little sweet potato, thre is just a touch of stone fruit hanging around in the back. It’s awesome. I’m not getting the smoke that others have mentioned. The leaves are beautiful – not really tippy, more of a combination of black and gold leaves. I love golden teas, but the black balances this nicely – makes it more tealike. Yep even in my exploded cupboard, there is room for this one.
Thank you scribbles for introducing me to yet another amazing tea.

caile

Beautiful!

scribbles

Haha! :) I wish I was ‘always’ right, but in this case I’m happy I was! Nice photos!

Another sample from Cameron! This is my first Joseph Wesley tea. I enjoyed it, although it had more of a vegetal flavor than many of the Dian Hongs I have had. It definitely had a lot of character and was multi faceted.

After-workout tea! You would think I would want something light, but I guess not. :P This sample came from scribbles (she sent me basically all of the Joseph Wesley teas). The leaves of this tea are about medium in size and just slightly twisty. I would say they’re about 60% black to 40% gold. I’m not sure why I feel the need to be specific on that, but oh well. Dry scent is mild malt with nice Yunnan-y honey and stonefruit notes. I steeped a heaping teaspoon for 3 minutes at 200 degrees.

Whew, this is definitely a darker Yunnan by the smell. There’s a lot of earthiness here with some mineral and smoke qualities. Happily for me, the taste is very well-balanced. That earthy quality is here as well, but is nicely softened by a dark fruitiness and the sweetness of honey. I do get some minerality along with a slight smoke. Overall, not my favorite tea, but a good one. :)

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Earth, Honey, Mineral, Raisins, Smoke

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks again for taking your time to drink and enjoy our tea (and sharing your thoughts). -Joe