Dark Bittersweet, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Joseph Wesley Black Tea

2 Images

• “Well. Ahem. Uhh. It seems I'm feeling shy all of a sudden. Like a lanky teen with a crush on the sophisticated exchange student in class and a wardrobe to match the Queen's. I swear. This tea is...” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1315 tasting notes
  • “I ordered a bunch of samples from Joseph Wesley. I ordered all but the Darjeeling. When the samples arrived they were in cute little tins, but the tins were only labeled with a tag, and half the...” Read full tasting note
    Teatiff 406 tasting notes
  • “~Queued post, written April 16th 2014~ Part of my Bad Dog! order, the primary tin of which is still unopened. ~ETA May 17th, of course it has been opened at this point. It was the Keemun congfu in...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1290 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown #2! I went to bed really late last night, and my body is paying for it right now. Despite the influx of caffeine from this tea, I've got a bit of a headache and really think I need a...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 532 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Bold and robust, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 2 represents the quintessential taste of the famous Assam tea. If this tea had a voice, it would scream “tea!” Organically certified, this tea is grown between a series of villages in the lush highlands of Assam in Northeastern India and is harvested by hand using only the bud and two leaves from the Assamica variety of tea. This tea was picked in early spring to provide a perfect balance between its traditional astringent profile and its sweetness. As such, this tea can be enjoyed as is. Yet, if you seek a tea with a body robust enough to pair with your favorite fruits or spices, this is your tea.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

Well. Ahem. Uhh. It seems I’m feeling shy all of a sudden. Like a lanky teen with a crush on the sophisticated exchange student in class and a wardrobe to match the Queen’s.
I swear. This tea is just phenomenal. So layered and complex I don’t even know where to begin. I fear that I’ll just end up stuttering and asking for it’s autograph instead… so I’ll just throw out some basic descriptors, for now: cigars. boys club. smoke. malt. very mild astringency. lingering menthol effect long after the sip. Smooth like silk covering patchy terrain. Oh and let’s not forget the intoxicating aroma. and how I feel as if I’ve just consumed a tumbler of 50 yr old scotch!

Thank you so very much for the sample Joseph Wesley. You are incredibly generous and I could not be more grateful!
Folks, this here is a company who knows how to deliver impeccable customer service and has a superb product that I would recommend to anyone. Bravo!

TheTeaFairy

Wow! Just wow!

Indigobloom

TeaFairy, I really am humbled by this one!!

Fjellrev

Nice! I love Assam so I’m definitely going to make a note of this one.

keychange

Oh god, this note reminded me how I felt after first tasting RVC by Butiki, and the queen by h and s. I know that feeling so well, and am so glad you found it also.

Indigobloom

Fjellrev, it’s a really rich one. Do you prefer the more delicate flowery type, or the bold?

Indigobloom

Keychange, haha I thought of you when I was writing!! as my cup cooled, it did remind me of The Queen, quite a bit :)
-even moreso when I had my second cup of this with a dash of milk and honey.

Fjellrev

I like both, but especially the latter. :)

Same here. It’s like my tea home!! :P

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

I am sorry that it has taken me this long to reply to your nice review. It’s a thrill to have you experience this tea similarly to me. It’s also interesting that you analogized yourself as the lanky teen in your review for that same phenomenon perfectly describes the feelings I had over the last year as I introduced these teas for the first time.

Indigobloom

Joseph Wesley- No need to apologize! You were so kind to send me the tea in the first place :)
I’m glad we had similar experiences, and that I’m not the only one! One day I’ll place an order and try all your other teas, which I am positive produce a similar euphoria :)

Please keep things friendly and .

I ordered a bunch of samples from Joseph Wesley. I ordered all but the Darjeeling. When the samples arrived they were in cute little tins, but the tins were only labeled with a tag, and half the tags has fallen off in shipping. Hopefully I was able to “guess” at what each sample was correctly.

Yesterday at work I was in a straight black tea mood so I gave this a try. I tried a cup of this after drinking Nahorhabi Assam from H&S. This tea is nice. It is bold, yet smooth. It is malty and packs a punch. This was good and I think with my next cup I will try a splash of milk. In comparison to the Nahorhabi, the Nahorhabi offers a bit of a fruity finish which I really enjoy. This was a nice simple straight up assam. I will definately enjoy the rest of the sample.

donkeytiara

I just ordered Teabox’s Assam sampler….15 assams to try! What was I thinking?!? :)

Happy to read that you enjoyed the tea. Cheers, Joe

hapatite

I had the same problem with the tags falling off, hopefully I was able to guess correctly too!

Queued post, written April 16th 2014

Part of my Bad Dog! order, the primary tin of which is still unopened. ETA May 17th, of course it has been opened at this point. It was the Keemun congfu in case anybody’s curious. I have finally set a date for opening it, though. Monday, because it’s my birthday and it seems a good time to have coveted tea for the first time.

This one is one I got a sample of, and the dry leaf has a lot of that raisin aroma that I always appreciate in an Assam. I can greatly enjoy a non-raisin-y one, but I do prefer them to be raisin-y, so that’s a good sign right there. After steeping it’s still mildly raisin-y, and even the flavour has an alround raisin-y touch to it.

YAY!

The peculiar thing is that on their own I don’t actually care much for raisins. In musli or in baking or what have you, they’re good, but I would never eat a handful of raisins just for the raisins. So it’s a bit of a mystery to me why they make me so happy in Assams.

Anyway, apart from the raisins, it’s rather a strong tea but it’s not too astringent. It’s a really thick and slightly sticky flavour with a fairly long aftertaste and very suitable for this morning. It has even eased my ‘I-slept-too-long-this-morning-headache’ a bit. Husband commented that he thought it was good as well, and it always says quite a lot when he does that, because it means he’s paid some attention to what he was drinking. He doesn’t usually if I haven’t told him I’ll be asking his opinion, so if a tea can grab his attention on its own it’s either really good or really weird. :p

Shame it was so difficult to procure.

MzPriss

I like this one a lot.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Next time we’re passing through the continent, we’ll be sure to get you some tea.

Angrboda

Aww, that is kind of you. :)

Sipdown #2!

I went to bed really late last night, and my body is paying for it right now. Despite the influx of caffeine from this tea, I’ve got a bit of a headache and really think I need a nap.

This is good, though – rich, but not harsh or astringent. Quite smooth. I’m still not a black tea connoisseur, but I wouldn’t say no if offered more of this.

Thanks to indigobloom for the sample.

Please keep things friendly and .

Sample 1/3 I ordered from Joseph Wesley. I love a good assam, especially in the morning. These came in really cute sample tins with paper tags, though I’m afraid I will lose the tags and get them all mixed up!

I figured I would need to try this plain first, in order to get a good sense of what the tea really tastes like. It’s definitely a dark and malty brew with a citrusy, brisk note in the finish. There aren’t too many assams I could drink plain but this is definitely one of them. There’s a bit of astringency but nothing I cannot handle. I did prefer this with a splash of soymilk, which is how I drink most assams.

I prefer a little less briskness in my teas but overall I did enjoy this…

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

i need to try me some of their teas!

SimplyJenW

I ended up writing the kind of tea on the bottom of the sample tin. While the tags were very cool looking, they fell off too easy and it was easy to get things mixed up.

TeaBrat

Jen, I think I need to do the same!

Tea of the morning…..

Yes, this is pretty hefty. I am not normally a straight Assam drinker. I do drink it in blends, but usually find them a little too hearty for me on their own. I am sure you are wondering, why did she order a sample of Assam?…..well, because there were 4 teas from Joseph Wesley that I wanted to try and they were offered at 3, 5, or all 7. You will get another jumbled review of the Darjeeling that was my free sample…..another tea that I don’t drink much, if at all.

Thoughts: I am getting some malt, there is definitely a briskness, and really, it kind of takes over. There are chocolate notes, but they are kind of dark chocolate/malt blended together with the kick of brisk. As far as Assams go, it is good. Likely, the best one I have had (but remember, I don’t seek them out and I have only had a few.) Not sorry I took the time to try it, and, frankly, it is a perfect Monday morning tea.

Usual mug method.