Astringent, Fruity, Malt, Tannic, Honey, Sweet, Citrus, Bitter, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Joseph Wesley Black Tea

2 Images

• “Well. Ahem. Uhh. It seems I’m feeling shy all of a sudden. Like a lanky teen with a crush on the sophisticated exchange student in class and a wardrobe to match the Queen’s. I swear....” Read full tasting note
    indigobloom 1549 tasting notes
  • “2nd sample from my order. I must say I tried to like it. Drank it several times, varying time, temperature and leaf. Fruit, malt, thin body. Taste is front loaded. Tannic and astringent. I...” Read full tasting note
    hawkband1 237 tasting notes
  • “I had this earlier today and found it to be a tasty, but fairly unremarkable Assam. Smooth, malty, pretty much what I expect from a good assam. Reading other people’s reviews makes me think I...” Read full tasting note
    smallstar42 338 tasting notes
  • “I’m not quite sure what to say about this one. I am always happy to try tea that my friends generously send me, but in general I don’t really like Indian black teas. This is light with...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 983 tasting notes

From Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Bold and robust, Joseph Wesley’s Black Tea No. 2 represents the quintessential taste of the famous Assam tea. If this tea had a voice, it would scream “tea!” Organically certified, this tea is grown between a series of villages in the lush highlands of Assam in Northeastern India and is harvested by hand using only the bud and two leaves from the Assamica variety of tea. This tea was picked in early spring to provide a perfect balance between its traditional astringent profile and its sweetness. As such, this tea can be enjoyed as is. Yet, if you seek a tea with a body robust enough to pair with your favorite fruits or spices, this is your tea.

About Joseph Wesley Black Tea View company

I swear. This tea is just phenomenal. So layered and complex I don’t even know where to begin. I fear that I’ll just end up stuttering and asking for it’s autograph instead… so I’ll just throw out some basic descriptors, for now: cigars. boys club. smoke. malt. very mild astringency. lingering menthol effect long after the sip. Smooth like silk covering patchy terrain. Oh and let’s not forget the intoxicating aroma. and how I feel as if I’ve just consumed a tumbler of 50 yr old scotch!

Thank you so very much for the sample Joseph Wesley. You are incredibly generous and I could not be more grateful!
Folks, this here is a company who knows how to deliver impeccable customer service and has a superb product that I would recommend to anyone. Bravo!

TheTeaFairy

Wow! Just wow!

Indigobloom

TeaFairy, I really am humbled by this one!!

Fjellrev

Nice! I love Assam so I’m definitely going to make a note of this one.

keychange

Oh god, this note reminded me how I felt after first tasting RVC by Butiki, and the queen by h and s. I know that feeling so well, and am so glad you found it also.

Indigobloom

Fjellrev, it’s a really rich one. Do you prefer the more delicate flowery type, or the bold?

Indigobloom

Keychange, haha I thought of you when I was writing!! as my cup cooled, it did remind me of The Queen, quite a bit :)
-even moreso when I had my second cup of this with a dash of milk and honey.

Fjellrev

I like both, but especially the latter. :)

Same here. It’s like my tea home!! :P

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

I am sorry that it has taken me this long to reply to your nice review. It’s a thrill to have you experience this tea similarly to me. It’s also interesting that you analogized yourself as the lanky teen in your review for that same phenomenon perfectly describes the feelings I had over the last year as I introduced these teas for the first time.

Indigobloom

Joseph Wesley- No need to apologize! You were so kind to send me the tea in the first place :)
I’m glad we had similar experiences, and that I’m not the only one! One day I’ll place an order and try all your other teas, which I am positive produce a similar euphoria :)

Fruit, malt, thin body. Taste is front loaded. Tannic and astringent.

I like some assams. This isn’t one of them. 70

Flavors: Astringent, Fruity, Malt, Tannic

I had this earlier today and found it to be a tasty, but fairly unremarkable Assam. Smooth, malty, pretty much what I expect from a good assam. Reading other people’s reviews makes me think I should go back and pay a bit more attention. :)

This is light with some high notes. It’s not as acidic/astringent as I normally find Assam teas. The fact that I’ve drank three cups of it tonight must mean that it’s not that far out of my comfort zone. I guess that also means that this is not a typical Assam. I’m sure this is a quality tea – JW has great teas, but it’s just not to my tastes/preferences.

Thanks Sil for the opportunity to try it. :))

haha no problem – better that you get a chance to try it before you buy it! :)

Dexter

I agree – I would never buy Assam for myself. Is nice to get to revisit it from time to time. You never know when your tastes change.
Best part of getting random samples is that you get to try stuff you would never chose for yourself. Always a fun adventure

tea from earlier today. We’ve had a nice lazy-ish sort of day today as our first weekend where we were both in town and for the most part, he wasn’t working. I enjoy this one, but it’s not my favourite assam. it’s a little drying while also feeling very juicy. That being said, i still really love these offerings from JW and they always make for an enjoyable cup to reflect on.

boychik

is this a new harvest? i have a new one. havent tried yet as im between 2 houses. Packing my tea to send back

mmm i picked this one up…in june.

boychik

i got it couple weeks ago. Joe said its a new harvest

oh nice!

So this is the second tea from my first ever order from Joseph Wesley Tea!!! I loveee assam teas, so I got a sample of it. Well, all the teas I got were samples except their Limited Edition TGY that is INCREDIBLE!! I don’t know why I never logged it, it totally slipped my mind! D: I’ll have to do that soon.
Anyway so this is the second one I’m trying!
And holy shanghai!! IT’S ANOTHER HIT! I ADORE this tea!
Since black teas seem to be hit or miss with me these days, it felt like a huge surprise that I loved it so much! The main flavor of course is malt, which is one of my fav flavors in black tea! Tasted a bit of maybe honey…it was kinda sweet, and also kinda a bit chocolate-y. I think I oversteeped it a tiny bit so it also had a bitter note in there.
But overall it’s a total win in my book! I definitely will buy this again. And I am pretty sure it’s gonna be a staple on my shelf.
Another win by Joseph Wesley Tea!!!! :D :D :D

Flavors: Bitter, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet, Honey, Malt, Sweet

This one came to me via the wonderful Scribbles!

Scribbles sent this to me becuase I made such a big deal in one of my posts about how much I loved assam. This one does not disappoint.

The dry tea is dark cut up leaves, not crushed though. There is a strong and thick scent of dark purple plums (you know the ones that are so dark purple they almost look black).

The brewed tea is thick and dark with a very slight sweet scent. I am not getting a lot of malt with this one as the description on Steepster states. Maybe getting a very light malt. There is definitely a dark chocolate note to this tea. I am still getting the plum notes.

This is a bold, sweet assam. There is only a very slight dryness in the aftertaste with no bitterness. I feel like I am also getting the slightest metallic tang on my tongue after each sip.

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

joseph wesley has some good black teas :)

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thank you for the thoughtful review Lala. I’m happy to read that you enjoyed the Assam and would love to read how your coming with you goal of making “the perfect cup of chai from scratch.” I’ve cobbled together my auntie’s chai recipes in India which can be found on our website and have found that an often non-discussed step in making chai is (1) letting the milk simmer for about 1-2 hours to thicken it and (2) scalding the milk to initiate to create a toasty, caramel taste, before mixing with the infused tea.,,for whatever it’s worth. Cheers, Joe

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Thanks Sil for the nice comment. You made us blush!

Dexter

I too am questing for the perfect chai recipe, will have to take a look at your website. Interesting comments about the milk – I haven’t really thought about milk too much other than I like more fat content (skim doesn’t really do it for me). Thanks for posting those thoughts. :))

I haven’t been able to order yet from JW, but when I do, I can send some samples your way dex.

Dexter

Thanks Sil but the awesome fabulous Miss Scribbles sent me some. I haven’t tried them yet (scared of falling in love with more tea when I’m not allowed to buy any). I will soon though…

don’t buy! i have a box coming to you! uh… eventually. when it’s full

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

you can all buy different tea and share ;) — just kidding — I sincerely appreciate your interest in our teas. Joe

I ordered a bunch of samples from Joseph Wesley. I ordered all but the Darjeeling. When the samples arrived they were in cute little tins, but the tins were only labeled with a tag, and half the tags has fallen off in shipping. Hopefully I was able to “guess” at what each sample was correctly.

Yesterday at work I was in a straight black tea mood so I gave this a try. I tried a cup of this after drinking Nahorhabi Assam from H&S. This tea is nice. It is bold, yet smooth. It is malty and packs a punch. This was good and I think with my next cup I will try a splash of milk. In comparison to the Nahorhabi, the Nahorhabi offers a bit of a fruity finish which I really enjoy. This was a nice simple straight up assam. I will definately enjoy the rest of the sample.

donkeyteaarrrraugh

I just ordered Teabox’s Assam sampler….15 assams to try! What was I thinking?!? :)

Happy to read that you enjoyed the tea. Cheers, Joe

hapatite

I had the same problem with the tags falling off, hopefully I was able to guess correctly too!

Queued post, written April 16th 2014

Part of my Bad Dog! order, the primary tin of which is still unopened. ETA May 17th, of course it has been opened at this point. It was the Keemun congfu in case anybody’s curious. I have finally set a date for opening it, though. Monday, because it’s my birthday and it seems a good time to have coveted tea for the first time.

This one is one I got a sample of, and the dry leaf has a lot of that raisin aroma that I always appreciate in an Assam. I can greatly enjoy a non-raisin-y one, but I do prefer them to be raisin-y, so that’s a good sign right there. After steeping it’s still mildly raisin-y, and even the flavour has an alround raisin-y touch to it.

YAY!

The peculiar thing is that on their own I don’t actually care much for raisins. In musli or in baking or what have you, they’re good, but I would never eat a handful of raisins just for the raisins. So it’s a bit of a mystery to me why they make me so happy in Assams.

Anyway, apart from the raisins, it’s rather a strong tea but it’s not too astringent. It’s a really thick and slightly sticky flavour with a fairly long aftertaste and very suitable for this morning. It has even eased my ‘I-slept-too-long-this-morning-headache’ a bit. Husband commented that he thought it was good as well, and it always says quite a lot when he does that, because it means he’s paid some attention to what he was drinking. He doesn’t usually if I haven’t told him I’ll be asking his opinion, so if a tea can grab his attention on its own it’s either really good or really weird. :p

Shame it was so difficult to procure.

Myssy

I like this one a lot.

Joseph Wesley Black Tea

Next time we’re passing through the continent, we’ll be sure to get you some tea.

Angrboda

Aww, that is kind of you. :)

Sipdown #2!

I went to bed really late last night, and my body is paying for it right now. Despite the influx of caffeine from this tea, I’ve got a bit of a headache and really think I need a nap.

This is good, though – rich, but not harsh or astringent. Quite smooth. I’m still not a black tea connoisseur, but I wouldn’t say no if offered more of this.

Thanks to indigobloom for the sample.