White Sage and Wild Mint Tea

Herbal Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by JacquelineM

From Juniper Ridge

White Sage has a rich, earthy, minty flavor that made it a favorite tea for many of the Native American tribes and early settlers of the Southwest. I like to sip this tea during the wet winters here in Northern California and let my mind drift off to the hot desert country where White Sage grows. So many backpacking trips over the years in that beautiful, sunbaked country—maybe I’ll just sit here in the shade of this Palo Verde tree and let some of the afternoon heat pass while I nod off to sleep with the smell of Wild Sage in the air . . . Now you can enjoy this classic Southwestern tea and dream your own daydreams of the big rock, White Sage desert country.

About Juniper Ridge View company

Backlogging this refreshing cup! Actually…I had two…see other notes :)

Tamm

Oh I’ve seen this before! This sounds really strange/interesting. I think that I’ve never seen another tea like this.

TeaEqualsBliss

It’s VERY strong but if you like MINT…go for it! I do…so it’s right up my alley! :)

silvermage2000

Nice review this tea sounds interesting I like mint but do not know much about sage.

This is very nice. The overall taste is very minty and crisp, but I also taste a hint of peppery warmth … not super spicy or anything, but just a hint of kick toward the tail. The sage gives a nice earthy tone to the cup. Very nice to curl up to as I am preparing to head to bed … it’s SO late! What am I doing up?

Bonnie

Night owl wanting the last punctuation of tea before your day is done!

Azzrian

This sounds yummy!

OH MY what a night I had last night! My coworker gave me some of this tea, and my husband and I had it last night. As I sipped the herbaceous and slightly menthol tisane, I grew very sleepy. I instantly fell asleep once I went to bed, and had the most vivid, intense, insane, technicolor dreams of my life!!!!!!!! I actually shot up in the middle of the night, woke my husband, and asked him if he was having the dreams of the century! He said, “No.” and went back to sleep! I followed him, and continued to dream, dream, dream!

When I woke up I looked in my herb books, but none of them recommended sage for dreaming. I guess I am my own special snowflake in this regard, because I never experienced anything like this! It did say that it was good for headaches – my husband had one last night, and I asked him if it felt better, and he said that it did!

I had one bag left over, and gave it to my other coworker! I am in no rush to go through that again!

LadyLondonderry

Part of me is tempted to try this stuff and see what happens, and part of me wants to stay far, far away from it! :)

Batrachoid

How odd. The only thing I can recall about white sage is its use in smudgin (clensing bad spirits from stuff). Hopefully it was a side effect of catharsis.

JacquelineM

Batrachoid – I was thinking that I was a dam about to burst because I had a very challenging week last week, and no time to deal with it mentally! I think the white sage probably, um, facilitated that! It’s got me curious about other herbal blends, that’s for sure!

LadyLondonderry – This has got me curious about other herbal teas that are “medicinal” like the ones offered by Mountain Rose Herbs. They have a Dream tea but it’s sold out right now! I’m going to keep checking up on it! I’ll let you know! Also, I remember you saying you had a twitter? What’s your name on there? I’d like to add you if you wouldn’t mind. I’m @jackiemania

LadyLondonderry

I just signed up to follow you on Twitter, Jackie! My name there is … my name (clever, I know!). First name is Nancy.:)

The only tea I’ve ever had from Mountain Rose is their jasmine green tea, but those herbal medicinals do sound intriguing, as do so many other items in their catalog.

gmathis

You know, despite my occasionally desperate efforts to find one, I have yet to get my hands on a magic put-me-to-sweet-and-unconscious-sleep tea. Too many years of Tylenol pm have made me immune? Best I can get is one that takes the edge off the frazzle while I’m winding down. (Which is always welcome.)

JacquelineM

gmathis – Mountain Rose has one that they nicknamed something like “Sleep like a rock” because it knocks you out so good! If I ever get my hands on some (it’s sold out!) I’ll send ya some to try!

Bagged
Aroma when Dry: spicy, cool, earthy, herby
After water is first poured: spicy sweet sage, hints of mint
At end of first steep: bright sage notes, laced with mint
Tea liquor:
At end of steep: woody brown
Staple? Yes medicinally
Preferred time of day: as needed medicinally
Taste:
At first?: earthy,creamy,crisp, spicy sage woody notes, mint in close
As it cools?: notes open, layer, get thicker, creamier
Additives used (milk, honey, sugar etc)? No
Lingers? yes, mostly the earthy, silky sage notes

Second Steep (5 min)
At first: Earthy herbal water
As it cools: sage notes thicken into tea again

Third Steep (8min)
Earthy herbal water
Fourth Steep
Earthy herbal water

This is a really soothing, nicely fragrant tea. It comes in tea bags, which I rarely use, but they don’t seem to detract at all from this tea. The mint is strong, but balanced with the sage. Naturally caffeine-free, it’s the perfect tea for evening relaxation.