Just Blissful Black Oothu

Autumn Leaf Pile, Honey, Malt, Orange Zest, Baked Bread, Molasses, Stonefruits
Fair Trade, Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Just Organic Tea

• “Snow day!! I went from working a double today to laying around playing Minecraft and drinking tea. Anyway, it's been a while since I've had a straight up black tea with no flavorings. I've been...” Read full tasting note
    tabby 477 tasting notes
  • “Oothu black is a lovely, tobacco raisin malty kind of black. Out of all the samples I got from Just Organic Tea, this was tied for first place. The balance between the flavor notes was great. It's...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1056 tasting notes
  • “If you are anything like me, then you are hiding from the Super Bowl and all of its fanfare someplace far away. Yes, I am not much of an American Football kind of person (I will watch real Football...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 387 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! (227) I'm alternating high-caffeine teas with lower ones today so hopefully I won't get the caffeine headaches I sometimes get. Although I have a headache from the weather already, so...” Read full tasting note
    bluebelle 449 tasting notes

From Just Organic Tea

A smooth, balanced black tea with a long leaf. Blends perfectly with milk and sugar, but flavorful enough to stand alone. Also makes a great iced tea. This premium black tea is bio-dynamically produced in the Oothu Tea Estate, in Manimuttar, India. Fair trade & organic certified.

About Just Organic Tea View company

Anyway, it’s been a while since I’ve had a straight up black tea with no flavorings. I’ve been drinking Earl Grey and such for like six months. This is a nice change. The flavor reminds me of an Assam. It’s malty with a touch of molasses and stone fruit. It’s not bitter, but it is a little astringent. Dries my mouth somewhat. As far as black teas go, this one is pretty straightforward without much complexity. Would be a good tea to start the day with.

If you haven’t already, check out Just Organic Tea’s Kickstarter here: (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/justorganictea/just-organic-tea-the-very-best-tea-delivered)

Flavors: Malt, Molasses, Stonefruits

Oothu black is a lovely, tobacco raisin malty kind of black. Out of all the samples I got from Just Organic Tea, this was tied for first place. The balance between the flavor notes was great. It’s not too tobaccoy or raisiny, with the combination working well. Full flavor too!
There is a great creamy mouth feel. No bitterness, great for a new black tea drinker looking for a straight black that is organic and fair trade.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/just-organic-tea-oolong-owl-tea-review/

gmathis

Just read all your Just Organic reviews—they sound wonderful!

If you are anything like me, then you are hiding from the Super Bowl and all of its fanfare someplace far away. Yes, I am not much of an American Football kind of person (I will watch real Football though, that I enjoy) and find this time of year tedious because it is EVERYWHERE, see, it even managed to sneak onto my blog. One thing I do admire is the player’s and fan’s level of commitment to their passion, because it is supposed to get cold. Speaking of cold, how about some hot tea?

Today’s tea is Oothu Black Tea from Just Organic Tea (who also has an awesome Kickstarter running) a black tea from the Oothu Tea Estate in Manimuttar, India. This tea is both Fair Trade and Organic, which is awesome, assuming the tea taste good. The aroma of the tea is quite sweet, blending notes of molasses and baking bread with a slight undertone of roasted peanuts. It is rich and warming, just what one expects from a black tea.

Once the leaves have taken a dip in the steeping Jacuzzi, the aroma becomes bright and oaky with a hint of loam, it fades to caramel sweetness with an end note of roasted peanuts. The liquid is also bright and oaky with a loamy quality and tiny hint of peanuts. Again the aroma is rich and warming, I swear that has nothing to do with being cold!

Time to sip the dark delights in my fancy German teacup (in all honesty I think it is supposed to be a coffee cup.) The taste is surprisingly sweet and creamy, it manages to be fairly smooth while also being brisk and a touch astringent. The taste is a blend between molasses and oak wood, and has a slightly dry mouth feel. Adding a bit of cream and sugar brings out more of the caramelized sugar quality and takes away the tiny bit of astringency, but it also loses its edge. I definitely prefer this one straight.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/02/just-organic-tea-oothu-black-tea-review.html

yyz

I fell asleep at the homecoming CDN football match so I totally see where your coming from. The last sporting match of any sort I saw was a hurling match in Dublin. The tea sounds interesting.

Amanda 'SoggyEnderman' Wilson

Oh wow, Hurling! I don’t think I have ever seen a math of that!

yyz

It was actually really fun. It was a semi final match so about 82 000 people were there. The best way I can explain it is like lacrosse played with a Hurley ( which looks like a shorter field hockey stick into goals which are like a cross between a hockey net and a football goal post. It can be very fast and dangerous. The way out of the match the streets and pubs are packed so all together it quite an event in itself.

Sipdown! (227) I’m alternating high-caffeine teas with lower ones today so hopefully I won’t get the caffeine headaches I sometimes get. Although I have a headache from the weather already, so maybe it wouldn’t make much difference anyway…

I brewed this lower this time since the bag said to, and I think it’s produced a good cup. The smell is somewhere between a Ceylon and Sinharaja, which is a very good thing to smell like in my opinion. The taste is like a honeyed Ceylon—the same bright, citrusy flavor, but slightly sweeter and more mellow. I’m impressed with this one! If I didn’t already have enough of this type of tea I’d restock it.

190 °F / 87 °C

I had this tea as an iced tea and it was perfect! It blended well, was extremely smooth, and a rich but not overwhelming flavor (I had it a little less strong which I liked). I will definitely drink this tea again.

This was one of the teas I asked for a small sample of with my Kickstarter passage, and it’s surprisingly nice. Just a nice, solid, medium black tea, without too much going on. However, the flavour becomes a bit harsher when it’s cold – it’s best to drink this one up quick.

The nice thing is that I only have another cup left – perfect for a sipdown.

Backlog:

A really good black tea from India. Smooth and even-tempered. Well-rounded and malty. Not an overly aggressive or assertive tea. Just really nice.

A good tea to keep on hand – makes a great afternoon tea or a very delicious iced tea.

Thank you again for the samples, Just Organic Tea! I feel terrible they have taken me so long to get to. I’m disappointed with myself! To me, I would use a ton more leaves for each serving than Just Organic sent over, so I tried filling the mugs less than usual. I love these dark twisty leaves. I waited too long to steep – the temp should have been at 195 degrees. I’m not sure if this is the base for some of their other teas, but the flavor is like them – hints of pumpkin and tomato soup. The flavor is too light for me though! I would use two teaspoons of these leaves normally. The leaves have an intense natural sweetness, so I’m glad I didn’t steep this with the sugar JO provided. A very smooth tea!
Steep #1 // 15 min after boiling (accidentally) // 3 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // half a mug // 4 min

I finally got around to drinking this lovely sample.

I was nervous once again because the baggy had that icky smell I’ve been bitching about with the Just Organic Teas samples I received. The teas have been good but that smell! Even after a month of airing out the baggies it’s still there.

I couldn’t put my finger on many specific notes when I drank this. I wasn’t trying to really. Sometimes it’s nice to just drink tea and not think too much.

It wasn’t an OMG amazing tea but it left me content and pleased. I could definitely see restocking this one as I don’t have many straight black teas I enjoy. The mishmash of notes blended together into something smooth and pleasant. I

I feel like this would also make a good cold brew.

Nice smooth black tea. It brewed up much lighter than I was expecting, but then again I did brew it at a lower temp (180) then the recommendation (195). I got a nice molasses flavor. Definitely a nice tea, though not my favorite flavors in black tea.

This was another sample I received from Just Organic Tea. Trying to get through tasting them all so I can decide which to request now that their kickstarter is finished.