Just Naughty 'Nilla

Black Tea, Carob, Natural Vanilla Flavor
Caramel, Chocolate, Pine, Vanilla, Wood
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by Just Organic Tea

• “Backlog: A tasty blend. Not my favorite vanilla blend I've ever had (they can't all be my favorites, can they?) and I suspect the reason is the carob. Not a fan of carob. Just not. I like...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4641 tasting notes
  • “Happy Labour Day! This morning, I decided to make French toast for breakfast for myself and the hubby. I normally add cinnamon and vanilla to the egg and milk mixture to make things nice and...” Read full tasting note
    cvasilevski 569 tasting notes
  • “Its vanilla tea week (and its only Monday I guess). I had a sample from Just Organic waiting patiently for me to try it (thank you again for the generous sample package). Somehow it had gotten...” Read full tasting note
    bizbee1 48 tasting notes
  • “This tea is a bit weird. Maybe I just feel that way because it’s called “Just Naughty ’Nilla” and it really doesn’t taste like vanilla at all. To me, the dominant taste is the carob, which is kind...” Read full tasting note
    mj1851 268 tasting notes

From Just Organic Tea

We start with our premium black tea. Then, we add a generous amount of vanilla. Top it off with carob, and you’ve got the perfect dessert tea. Luxuriously rich and inviting, you’ll melt into vanilla heaven with hints of caramel-chocolaty goodness. Organic certified.

About Just Organic Tea View company

Backlog:

A tasty blend. Not my favorite vanilla blend I’ve ever had (they can’t all be my favorites, can they?) and I suspect the reason is the carob. Not a fan of carob. Just not. I like chocolate, I don’t like that fake-y chocolate taste of carob. Never have.

But, as I mention in my full-length review of this tea – http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/08/06/just-naughty-nilla-black-tea-from-just-organic-tea/ – I think that this tea has potential. The black tea base is well-rounded and full tasting. Notes of malt. Robust. It would make a nice breakfast tea. (A little dessert for breakfast!)

Ubacat

I love carob and don’t think it’s fake tasting at all. It has it’s own taste but yes different than chocolate. I like to mix the two together (carob and cocoa) when making my fudge brownie. The cocoa gives them a deep rich chocolate taste and the carob adds a sweetness and silkiness.

LiberTEAS

Yeah, I’d probably like carob like that. I just don’t like it when it’s used as a “like chocolate” experience because it’s really not chocolate. When I was younger, it seemed like that was what it was marketed as – a chocolate substitute.

Ubacat

It does have a similarity to Chocolate but is very different in other ways. I agree. You can’t appreciate carob for what it is when you’re expecting chocolate.

Happy Labour Day!

This morning, I decided to make French toast for breakfast for myself and the hubby. I normally add cinnamon and vanilla to the egg and milk mixture to make things nice and sweet, and I wanted to have a sweet, dessert-like tea to go with my breakfast.

It seemed like the perfect opportunity to try Just Naughty ’Nilla out.

To be honest, this tea was very different from what I was expecting. I was expecting a lot more vanilla in the scent and flavour of this tea, but instead when I opened the package I smelled a dark, deep, sweet smell like burnt sugar or molasses.

I’ve never had carob before, so I’m wondering if that flavour was what I was reacting to. I’ve heard carob is rather chocolate-like, but this didn’t really remind me of chocolate very much.

The dark sweet molasses nature of the leaf carried over into the brewed liquor, and the result was almost coffee-like. It wasn’t bitter, but the in the thickness and mouthfeel of it were similar.

This was interesting. I haven’t quite fallen for it yet, but I can easily see this tea being perfect on midwinter mornings when the snow piles in drifts against the door.

Cheri

I got this tea, too, but I haven’t tried it yet. I don’t think I realized it had carob in it when I picked it.

Indigobloom

I love the taste of carob! but just a little bit at a time or else I find it overwhelming

Christina

I’ve never had carob before, so I wasn’t quite sure I recognized it it in the tea. Did you get some of this tea as well, Indigobloom?

Indigobloom

Sadly I missed out on this one. I don’t mind :)
I tend to shy away from carob because I find it overpowering

Its vanilla tea week (and its only Monday I guess). I had a sample from Just Organic waiting patiently for me to try it (thank you again for the generous sample package). Somehow it had gotten scented with one of the other spice teas in the sample and I really wanted that to settle down so I repackaged it but that still didn’t help much. So today I went through 3 vanilla teas, one new from another vendor, my current staple and this one. This helped reduce the spice scent but still the dry leaves had that issue. I like my vanilla tea to be a well rounded but not too strong tea base with that vanilla essence. This tea delivers in a big way. The tea base is nice well rounded really a medium bodied tea that sits quietly under the carob and vanilla. I drank a lot of “hot carob” as a young teen, We had it at camp and took it backpacking. After brewing @ 5 minutes the carob notes really come out the first sips are an unsweetened carob with a very light breath of vanilla to lighten it up. Carob alone is dense and too dark for me, the carob + tea + vanilla are delightful. As the tea cooled the vanilla came more to the fore with the carob buoying up the taste. Its a light and somewhat generic vanilla so I’m glad the other flavors are there. I also smell pine and wood just a hint, I think that’s the tea base and carob but I really like it. I think this would be a perfect mid-morning pick me up that transports me away to the woods for a little while and I’ll be ordering more. I do admit as “Vanilla” it disappoints its not the sweet dessertyness of the other 2 teas. As a morning tea its perfect. I added some honey about mid-way through and with the sweetness added it reminds me of a blonde brownie that Carmel and brown butter taste lingering on after I was done. Now I want MORE!

Flavors: Caramel, Chocolate, Pine, Vanilla, Wood

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 9 OZ / 266 ML
TheTeaFairy

Mmmm, vanilla!! Great idea, might have a vanilla tea week also :-) lol, won’t last very long as I have only a few vanilla teas, but they rock!!

This tea is a bit weird. Maybe I just feel that way because it’s called “Just Naughty ’Nilla” and it really doesn’t taste like vanilla at all. To me, the dominant taste is the carob, which is kind of chocolatey and kind of woodsy tasting. Woodsy is not really a favorite flavor of mine. I do like the base tea though. It’s quite malty, which I enjoy. Thank you for the opportunity to try this, Just Organic Tea!

Thanks again for the samples, Just Organic! I will be working on the samples again since the teabox is now on its way.
Steep #1 // 15 min after boiling (accidentally, wanted it to be 10) // 4 min steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 min
The leaves here are very dark, somewhat tiny, and look like they are covered in flavor. Before I take a sip, the cup has a brown sugar fragrance. Then I get pumpkin again! I’m not sure why their black tea tastes like pumpkin to me, but it does. There is a sweetness there, but nothing I would call vanilla or chocolate. Maybe caramel! The second steep was much of the same, only stronger since I had used just boiled water. A unique tea, but I don’t think the name is accurate.

bizbee1

I am finding all the samples have a scent from the orange spice, perhaps that is where the pumpkin comes from?

Oh dear.

I wanted to love this tea. I just got my pack of samples from Just Organic. When I opened it there was a strong smell of something that reminded me of slippery elm bark which I detest. I don’t know if all the samples were contaminated by this flavor what ever it is but this tea seems to suffer.

First the good. I love the base. Not to astringent, nice and smooth but not meek.

The vanilla flavor is mild and pleasant. Not a huge fan of carob so that might be tripping me up a bit too.

I’m drinking as I write this and have realized it’s more the smell than the taste that bothers me. I wish I had more than one cups worth of leaf so I could mess around with it but I’m getting some more from the kickstarter campaign so I’ll try to come back and update once I’ve messed with the parameters. I very rarely sweeten tea but this might benefit from a pinch of sugar.

Verdict—Undecided, postponed until further tasting.

Today Ben and I went for a hair cut, he for practical finding a summer job while school is out reasons, and me because I was getting really sick of my hair. I am blessed/cursed with thick, fluffy hair that goes everywhere and has a perpetual cowlick, when it is short it is quite cute and manageable, when it is long I get lost in it Cousin It style. It is safe to say that with my now very short asymmetrical pixie cut I feel like my head is 10 pounds lighter. Perfect for the inevitable onslaught of summer.

Today’s tea has nothing to do with hair, in some cases that is sad (a non fuzzy silver needle would be so weird) but in the case of Just Naughty ’Nilla by Just Organic Tea, that is probably for the best. This dessert like tea is a blend of Black Tea, Carob, and Natural Vanilla Extract. The aroma is malty, rich, and sweet with a nice kick of vanilla and a mild woody chocolate finish. I always find that carob smells like a mix of wood and chocolate, just different enough to not be chocolate.

The brewed and now quite soggy leaves have an earthy, woody, and malty aroma with a very nice and sweet vanilla note along with a finish of rich chocolate. It smells more like chocolate and less like carob, but I admit most my experience with the stuff is in food and not tea. The liquid is mostly creamy and rich vanilla with a pleasant malty finish.

The tea is quite brisk and wakes you up, there are nice notes of malt and vanilla with a finish of chocolate/woody carob. This tea was surprisingly not very sweet on its own, it had the taste and olfactory pleasure of vanilla and chocolate but not of the sweetness. Adding a bit of sugar did bring it out some, bit oddly I preferred it unsweetened because with sugar it seemed a bit fake. I am not sure I would seek this tea out on my own, but I certainly would not say no to it if offered.

For photos and blog: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/05/just-organic-tea-just-naughty-nilla-tea.html

I received this sample from Just Organic. My fiance and I shared a mug of this last night and we didn’t agree on what it tasted like. He tasted black tea, vanilla, and maple syrup. And I swear it tasted like vanilla indian food to me. I have no idea why but I thought it smelled like I walked into an indian restaurant. Cardamom, curry. So I didn’t love it because my tastes buds seemed a little off.

mj

I haven’t tried any of my Just Organic samples yet, but the samples were only in tiny single bags and I noticed that pretty much all the teas smelled like the spice one. So maybe that’s where you’re getting the vanilla indian food taste (which sounds terrible btw).

Megan

Haha they really do. I didn’t notice overlap in my other samples from them but this one definitely tasted strangely indian to me.

The dry leaves of Just Naughty ’Nilla, as of yet untouched by the water that will steep them, let off a sweet-but-not-cloying aroma of vanilla and slightly-malty black tea. The vanilla scent seems solid throughout the blend, and I begin the steep. A recommendation of 195ºF water, steeping for 3-5 minutes, leads me to the happy median of 4 minutes in water that is just off boil.

Sniffing at the steeping tea, I am surprised at how subdued the vanilla aroma has become. The blend now smells much more of the black tea, which reminds me of a Keemun. Finished steeping, this tea smells slightly sweet, and I wonder greatly about the taste.

My first sip is very, very smooth. The subtle sweetness surprises me. I was not expecting the natural sweet flavors, but they are much more pleasant than artificial vanilla flavoring. When I say that I was not expecting them, I mean that I was not expecting just how natural the flavor would be. The carob in this blend lends some molasses notes. However, to be sure, these are not unpleasant. Molasses in black tea can be very hit-and-miss. In this blend, it is subtle and not a primary flavor. The tea itself has light, malty notes. Many black teas with vanilla use either malty or quite weak black teas. Just Organic Tea has chosen a nice base for their blend. It will not overpower your senses, but the sipping experience will be a pleasant one.

On my personal enjoyment scale, I would rate this tea an 87/100.

I just got my Kickstarter packet! Wow that took a long time. Between signing up for backing and getting the package it feels like 3 months? Something like that.

I don’t know what I was thinking when I requested more of this stuff, because my previous review of it was quite ‘meh’.

It’s very carob-ey. Previously I didn’t know what carob was. So carob is (to me) like the savory cross between chocolate and coffee with nuttiness. This tea, when I brewed it up was SUPER carob-ey. I still didn’t get much vanilla, which is kind of sad.