Kathryne Kenyan Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by JusTea

2 Images

• “So I totally made this one by mistake! I meant to make Justea’s Chai and didn’t clue in that something was off, even after wondering why it was just black tea and no spices…...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1766 tasting notes
  • “I totally did not look at my previous tasting notes for this one and I was convinced that I was going to have a bitter cup… I remembered to underleaf it (relative to what I normally would...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2116 tasting notes
  • “I love Earl Grey and I have some very definite ideas of how it should taste. I have a rule about it when reviewing – if it is anything but tea and bergamot you better call it something else...” Read full tasting note
    ks6 1502 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown!! (117) Thank you Cavocorax for the sample of this tea. It is nice as far as EGs go but I am not sad to see one more bergamot-centric tea leaving my cupboard.” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 2333 tasting notes

From Justea

Our Kathryne Earl Grey tea is whole leaf Kenyan black tea leaves cold-pressed with organic Mediterranean bergamot oil.

“Rich, robust, clean, mouthy…has a lot of body to it. This is going to make a fantastic cup of rich, rich African Earl Grey!”
~Brendan Waye, Tea Sommelier

About Justea View company

This is a definite morning EG, not a mid-afternoon cup. The base is incredibly robust and malty with mild astringency (and takes a shorter steep better than a longer one). They bergamot is crisp, vibrant and citrusy.

I could definitely seeing this taking milk and sweetener well!

Overall it’s a tasty cup that covers every thing an EG should be with a side of ‘POW’ to the face.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This is bright and sweet and very lemony—there’s something almost candy-like about the lemon, though it’s in no way artificial. The base is smooth and works well with the crispness of the bergamot. This is one I’d definitely consider picking up when I need to replenish my Earl Grey stash, and from a company I’d like to support too. Thanks for the sample, Nicole_Martin (I think)!

From the Round 3 Here’s Hoping TTB

I don’t know if it’s because it was in a TTB or if there is some other factor, but the bergamot flavor is completely
missing from my cup. After looking at other’s thoughts on this tea I realize that this isn’t normal for this EG, so I’m not going to give this a rating right now. I will say that the base tea is very nice. A little brisk, but it has nice body.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
tea-sipper

Aw, this one is amazing usually. :/

My eyes weren’t focusing too well this morning when I grabbed this packet not noticing the clearly written Earl Grey on it…so the strong whoof of bergamot caught me off guard. Lemon Pledge furniture polish strong. So I was a little suspicious from the get-go. Fortunately, it doesn’t steep as perfumey as it smells, though it was definitely floral bergamot rather than lemony bergamot. You EG folks will enjoy this.

Veronica

I like the sound of this one! On to my shopping list it goes.

K S

Loved this one. Lemon Pledge Bahhh! Glorious bergamot!

gmathis

I keep trying to like EG. Really. I feel so disloyal when I don’t.

I received this from BrewTEAllySweet in a tea stash sale. Thank – you.

I like earl grey and I have really enjoyed trying different earl grey’s with different bases. It is interesting to me how the base can change the taste of the bergamont. I have never had a Kenyan tea so I do not know the characteristics of the base. This was a smooth base, but the taste was a little different. The bergamont was at the tail end of the sip and it was very light. I had the thought that I was sipping spagettii when I was drinking this tea. The base just had an odd smell. For me this tea is a no. There was something about it that just wasn’t my cup of tea. I am glad for the opportunity to try this one.

3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This is one of the best Earl Grey tea’s that I have tasted. A spoonful lasted an entire afternoon. Yum! (Thanks Nicole for the sample)

Ooops! I must have murdered this tea! Everyone else likes it enough that I must have done something wrong. Maybe I overleafed and oversteeped ‘coz it was awful. I am not going to rate this one; it just wouldn’t be fair.

Sami Kelsh

Aww :( hugs

Since my last cup of tea was not for me (but rhyming appears to be) I think I will try this Earl Grey, it will hopefully take away the sour taste in my mouth. (Yes chicory is now on my never, Never, NEVER! list). I want to apologise for I can’t remember who was kind enough to gift me this sample, please know that I appreciate it as I am truly an EG fan.

Sampled with a drop of milk.
This is of medium strength in terms of bergamot which is perfumed yet subtly sweet. The black tea base is a little smoky but the perfume of the bergamot dominates. It’s a nice blend but as the bergamot is not as strong as I like I’m going to add some sweetener.

Sampled with milk and sweetener.
The bergamot is smoother now than before and most of it’s perfume (and dryness) has gone. It has also balanced the bergamot and black tea base more that it was without the sweetener.

Overall – It’s a nice Earl Grey and it offers a pleasant level of bergamot for my personal taste but if I’m honest I don’t think it’s a memorable EG. If I was asked to sample this from a line up I don’t think it would be unique enough for me to pick it out, that could be a good or bad thing.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 20 OZ / 600 ML

Tea & Cards TTB

As far as Earl Grey goes this one is actually rather solid, albeit a little boring. The bergamot plays a second fiddle to the quality black base in a way that’s comfortingly normal, but wouldn’t win any awards with my tastebuds.

Good morning, bergamot! This may be the first earl I’ve had where the bergamot smell (