Kenyan Black

Chocolate, Citrus, Malt, Raisins, Dark Bittersweet
Edit tea info Last updated by JusTea

5 Images

• “My first cup of this was so thick and reminiscent of molasses. It was too much so I had to dump it and steep it for 3 min. It was so much better! It's very strong, and malty, and slightly sweet...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1636 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to Justea for providing this sample for review. I am pretty picky these days about teas and I no longer jump on every offer for free tea on the forums. But this company stuck out: working to...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1914 tasting notes
  • “Received this, with my thanks, from the JusTea folks in conjunction with a special campaign going on here: http://www.justea.com/ First cup steeped to a deep ruby-mahogany color. Light texture;...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1692 tasting notes
  • “i had this first thing in the morning which seems so long ago that i can't even think. I was hoping to get some tea in to me today but it's been one thing after another with work today. I did...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4726 tasting notes

From Justea

Kenyan Black Tea

Our whole leaf Kenyan black tea is malty, fresh, clean and full bodied.

“The fresh factor makes it explode on the palate! It cups out as being very very good tea… I think we got a winner here.”
~Brendan Waye, Tea Sommelier

About Justea View company

My impressions of this tea, based off my first few sips are actually pretty similar to the impression I formed based on the aroma. It has a nutty flavor with a hint of malt, but the sweetness is much more apparent in the brewed tea than it was with just the dry leaf. While the tea is hot I do pick up a hint of astringency, but not enough to bother me, only enough to make itself known. This fades almost completely as the tea cools to room temperature.

I was not provided with suggested times for resteeping this tea so I opted to go with my default for black tea. My second steep was at 4m and produced a cup very similar to the first. I was surprised that this tea actually managed to gain sweetness in the second steep. The more I drink, the more I enjoy the almost fruity aspect of this tea.

You can check out my full review of this tea on my blog http://www.notstarvingyet.com/index/2013/9/16/tuesday-tea-kenyan-black-justea.html

I just got my tea from JusTea’s Indiegogo campaign.

It smells very malty and deep. The leaves are not huge, but most definitely not the standard African CTC type.

It’s very good. Very Assamy in a way. Malty with a little grassy flavor in the background maybe. Dry but not astringent or bitter. It does indeed taste and smell very fresh. I’d definitely try their Kenyan Earl Grey and I’d probably order from them again once I work through this initial 200 grams. (Assuming a reasonable shipping rate from Canada.) :)

Nice! Hoping to hear from them someday though apparently my messages are the ones that keep going poof lol. If not, I’ll steal some from you or cavocorax :)

Nicole

Well, I’ve sure got enough to share. :)

Cavocorax

Wow, you must have contributed a lot! I did the sampler and got 3×15g. They won’t last long, but I could save you a cup.

JusTea

Thanks for being in touch, glad you received everything! Happy steeping!

Upon first pour, you immediately notice the malty, earthy aroma. It’s smooth and slightly sweet, and it’s taste profile is reminiscent of a good coffee. There’s very mild dryness, not astringent, with practically no bitterness. It is the best Kenyan black I’ve tried and would definitely recommend it to anyone trying and looking for a good Kenyan Black.

Nicole

Everyone must have gotten their shipments today! :)

RogersCK

Justea specifically requested that reviews start today :) I received these a couple of weeks back :)

Nicole

Ah. Not sure I got that memo. :)

The Bacon Fairy

actually Nicole we were pretty happy to have some early reviews, but we wanted to have this crazy mass action of tea reviews for when our campaign started. -Britta : Justea member

One of the best black teas I’ve come across. I usually love full bodied, malty Assam teas. But this Kenyan black tea is definitely in my top 3.

It is full bodied with a rich maltiness. Compared to strong Assams the color is a bit lighter. A nice wooden smell with a hint of “greenness” in it.

The taste is so full, rich and fresh! The Assam typical maltiness is complemented by a fresh, grassy taste with a note that reminds me of fresh shoots of wood in the spring. This makes the taste bright, brisk and pungent. In the aftertaste you feel only a slight hint of tannins, if you brew it strong and long. But opposed to Assams, where steeping it 1min too long can lead to a furry, feltlike feeling on the tongue, this tea can’t really be over steeped. So you don’t need exact timing, you can steep it a bit longer and you can even give it a second steep without problems.

As a scientist I drink a lot of tea during work. When I work I usually shut everything out, focus fully on what I am doing. But a sip of this tea makes me stop working, brings me back to earth, makes me sit back, savor the moment and relax. For me that’s the strongest indicator of a really great tea.

darky

exactly what i think off this tea, its just fantastic!

Thomas Fluevog

Thanks darky! I really enjoyed reading your review. The Kenyan black is great, it’s a pity that it’s so hard to come by good Kenyan teas.

darky

Well it was my first african tea by that and i’m really thinking of importing the stuff to belgium. To bad shipping costs are fairly high. But its worth it tough…

What a pleasant smelling tea! The aroma is a wonderful mix of earthy and malty with a slight note of nuttiness. It is a very clean, pure tea smell which I think would be great to drink on its own but also a perfect base for blends.

Again the sweetness, I think I have found the source of that intoxicating sweet aroma in the other teas. The aroma is a wonderful mix of malt, marshmallows, cocoa nibs, and delicate earthiness. I almost feel the aroma of this tea can be a dessert all on its own.

My favorite of the three! I love this tea, it is a perfect blend of maltiness, richness, earthiness and sweetness. I am not sure why this black tea is so sweet but it is, it is not sugary sweet I should say, but very sweet for a tea. I stand by my original assumption that this tea would be great in blends. I feel like this tea has the best aspect of Assam, Keemun, and Kenyan blacks and blended it into a magical happy taste. I am certainly going to be getting more of the Kenyan Black for my collection.

I was lucky enough to get 3 samples from JusTea and I can’t stop loving this tea! The first one I tried was the Kenyan Black tea and it’s been my favorite ever since. It’s full bodied, strong and everything I love in a black tea.

For the average tea drinker, I would suggest not steeping it as long as I did, I like my black teas strong so I tend to use a little extra tea and steep a bit longer.

This also re-steeps well! So don’t throw out those leaves, you’ll be missing out on a nice second cup.

Read my full review here – http://www.notimeliketeatime.com/justea-kenyan-black-tea-review/

JusTea

We should get together for tea some time…I sort of have large tea cup collection

I got my JusTea order from the IndieGogo campaign!! Opened the bag and it came with 3 separate samples. NICE! Opened the 2oz. of tea and the smell was WONDERFUL! Brewed up a cup and was really happy. Smells even better after brewed. A really nice morning cup of tea. Made my son a cup and added a small amount of milk for his cup and he loved it. I was so glad that I bought this tea and helped this small startup company that is helping the farmers in Kenya rise above poverty. On Sept. 16th they are launching another crowdfunding campaign to try to reach their original target. I will be buying more of this as a regular in my cupboard!

Tea #1 From “Another Traveling Tea Box”

This tea smells sweet like honey, but it doesn’t taste like it. There is something almost smoky at the top of the sip that disappears before I can really identify it. Over all, it’s a good cup of black tea, but not my favorite.

Thanks, Nicole_Martin, for sample of this tea!
Once you try a Kenyan black tea, you dont go back to greens.
http://www.justea.com .
Malty, fresh, juicy
Woke me up in the afternoon
“dark rye or pumpernickel” color
Good breakfast tea
Nice buzz
I would rate as a “Buy” for your tea portfolio

No Sugar, Milk, Honey, needed – WIN

12/19/13 – This tea is tasting great after a big lunch.

Love this tea! The leaves have a malty, mushroomy, yet fruity scent. The brew tastes super malty, along with cacao nibs and barley. There is a sweetness in there too though, and it seems to get sweeter as the tea cools down. It’s a bit astringent which I enjoy. A great morning tea!