Kenyan Black

Bitter, Citrus, Malt, Raisins, Wood, Chocolate, Dark Bittersweet
Edit tea info Last updated by JusTea

5 Images

• “My first cup of this was so thick and reminiscent of molasses. It was too much so I had to dump it and steep it for 3 min. It was so much better! It’s very strong, and malty, and slightly...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1774 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to Justea for providing this sample for review. I am pretty picky these days about teas and I no longer jump on every offer for free tea on the forums. But this company stuck out: working to...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2182 tasting notes
  • “Received this, with my thanks, from the JusTea folks in conjunction with a special campaign going on here: First cup steeped to a deep ruby-mahogany color. Light texture;...” Read full tasting note
    gmathis 1879 tasting notes
  • “i had this first thing in the morning which seems so long ago that i can’t even think. I was hoping to get some tea in to me today but it’s been one thing after another with work...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 6848 tasting notes

From Justea

Kenyan Black Tea

Our whole leaf Kenyan black tea is malty, fresh, clean and full bodied.

“The fresh factor makes it explode on the palate! It cups out as being very very good tea… I think we got a winner here.”
~Brendan Waye, Tea Sommelier

About Justea View company

If you like your blacks dark, this is probably something for you. The tannins are light, the flavour smooth, yet it still manages to pack to pack a rich dark malty punch.

This is on my permanent collection on teas to keep in the cupboard.

I normally don’t take milk in my tea, other than chai, but I just find it works beautifully with this tea.

It can be brewed darker or lighter, steeped longer or shorter, just depends what you are after. I also will do a re-steep, go for about twice as long as the original steep time.

I made this cup this morning because I was super tired and needed a caffeine kick.

The smell of it is really interesting – malt, raisins and an unexpected burst of citrus. Taste wise, this is mostly malt, with a pleasant amount of bitterness, and then a hint of citrus on the finish.

I finished most of this cup, and then decided to have a nap on the couch when I realized that I couldn’t focus my eyes.

The rest of this cup I drank cold, and it was also very nice.

Thank you to Lindsay for this sample!

Flavors: Bitter, Citrus, Malt, Raisins

I wish there were an easy way to actually measure caffeine content in teas, so I’d know what to drink when I need to wake up. :)

Me too! Teabox actually has caffeine content (high, med, low) listed on their teas, and it’s not just by tea type (a surprising number of black teas are listed as being low caffeine), but it would be nice to have that kind of info for all companies and also know how they go about testing it, or if they just guess.

Though I don’t think any amount of caffeine would have been enough this morning.

I know that feeling.

This one is really super with some light cream, too. :)

Mostly woody, but a decent amount of malt in it. Not bad. I was expecting it to be wayyy stronger!
Thanks for the sample, ShortSorceress! This was quite enjoyable!

Flavors: Malt, Wood

I really enjoy cream with this one.

This is a good breakfast tea. Malty, full-bodied, with a bit of astringency. Good plain and with milk. I got a 2nd steeping out of the leaves (steeped for 3min the first time, 5min the second). I like this company and the work that they’re doing, so I’m glad I like the tea as well. :)

Flavors: Malt

SSTTB: Pick #18

More exploration of straight blacks. I’m not really sure how many Kenyan ones I’ve had but this smelled kinda chocolatey and that seemed pretty promising. I feel like I was so terribly wrong though!

Never have I ever experienced such strong and in your face raisin notes in a tea! Not grape but foul, disgusting raisins. ICK ICK ICK! Not for me. Eww. Yuck. Like, there were other elements in here; some chocolate, some malt, a little citrus maybe? But they couldn’t even come close to negating the nastiness of this one.

I guess I wont rate it because I have a severe aversion to raisin stuff to begin with so my rating would be heavily biased but if I was going to rate it I suppose it’d be something along the lines of a 10? Noooooo! Not a raisin fan. Barf.

Flavors: Chocolate, Citrus, Malt, Raisins

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 12 OZ / 354 ML

It’s good to see someone so passionate about raisins in the right way, haha!

I picked this out because it was low hanging fruit – a single serve sample that someone sent me, and it was an easy sipdown. In other words, I wasn’t expecting much.

It’s actually very good! A nice strong black with yummy malty tones. It’s rocking my afternoon.

Normally I keep all of my “day” teas (caffeinated) in a big basket on my kitchen island. I separated them into ones that are easy sipdown candidates, such as samples people have sent, and larger packages. It helps when I don’t have a taste for anything specific to rifle through the sipdown basket. I guess somehow it helps me justify the ridiculous amount of tea coming in. :D

I wish I had more of this one just to add to the teabox!

Don’t google “Kenyan Black” when searching for brewing instructions as you will just get a bunch of pictures of people from Kenya. It will not help. However, adding “Justea” didn’t really help either since I didn’t notice a website and I was too lazy to search through the results on my iphone. I ended up just following the recommendations on the steepster page.

The result? A pretty good straight black. Malty and rich and with the slightest hint of bitterness that calls to mind dark chocolate. Pretty tasty.

Oh do find jusTea’s website. The stories that go along with the teas are breathtaking, and make the experience so much more enjoyable to me.

Thank you!

Unfortunately, I underleafed this cup. It was still a good cup, but I can tell I’m missing the tea’s full potential. I’m looking forward to trying again with a better leaf to water ratio.

If you’re a fan of roasty Chinese blacks, then get ready for a treat. A far cry from its florid South Asian counterparts from Ceylon and Assam, Kenyan black tea takes every deep golden note of your favorite Keemuns and Yunnans–and boom. The roll of a heated drum, as it penetrates and reverberates from sip to sole to soul. The finish is so smooth that you can’t even feel it leave your tongue.

But is this a Lion King of tea? Actually, it’s more like a Lion Queen. Lionesses are the real power within a pride, hunting and taking care of the young, while our Simbas and Mufasas… Full review here:

Awwwwwhhhh, good ol Kenya Farmers! This tea is as fresh from the ground as IT GETS! believe me you will know by opening their very fashionable tea sachets – you can smell the rich earth of africa it was sown in …but don’t let it fool you…once brewed, it makes a mean cuppa! i had sugar and milk on the side ready, because it’s a strong brew! but for those who work endlessly to satisfy a 5 min experience in a cup deserves more than pennies, they deserve a well lived life. Kudos, JUSTea…keep it brewing and bless Kenya Alive!