African Chai

Chai Tea
Cloves, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by JusTea

• “I made a timolino of this today, except that I didn't really. I think I turned my kettle off after putting it on as this water is barely warm. So the tea is barely steeped. :( I'm still...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1693 tasting notes
  • “I have been waiting to try this one in part because I'm not a huge chai person, and I wanted to have it at home (as opposed to work) where I have the ability to add milk and sugar, which is how I...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1961 tasting notes
  • “Sipdown! since this is not the tea for me. While i do like the chai taste of this one, i can't get past the floral notes that ruin the good thing i have going on with the spices. That being said,...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 4923 tasting notes
  • “This tea reminds me of a slightly floral molasses gingerbread, which is odd as ginger is not listed in the ingredients in the description but nevertheless this is what the brewed tea and dried leaf...” Read full tasting note
    yyz 373 tasting notes

From Justea

Our African Chai is whole leaf Kenyan black tea with organic African spices and rose/safflower petals.

“The fennel, clove, coriander and liquorice root makes this chai smooth and silky on the palate. This African chai is balanced – it has a tea hit first and then a sweet finish”
~Brendan Waye, Tea Sommelier

About Justea View company

Very sweet and very spicy are the first things I notice when appreciating this tea. The leaves and spices are a beautiful combination of colors…pardon me while I ogle this tea for a moment. The aroma blends earthiness, floral (mostly rose), pepper, and fennel notes with little hints of licorice and coriander for a powerful yet subtle aroma. It reminds me of the spice bushes I had in my yard when I was a little girl.

The spiciness has increased! Very peppery, which I like, also very earthy, which I also like. For all that is smells very spicy it is also very mild. Nothing really over powers your senses so you can just inhale the aroma and enjoy it. This chai smells mouthwatering.

My first impression on this tea is ‘what an unusual chai’ the spices blend together but no one flavor sticks out. This is just a personal preference, but when I drink chai I like one flavor to be king while the other flavors play as courtier to it. The fennel gives a wonderful mouth tingle (always a favorite) and mix that with the pepper, sweetness, and spice warmth and you almost get a chai that feels like a palate cleanser. I do feel like there may be too many spices or just too much going on because the flavors become muddied. Just as a contrast, Ben had a taste and really enjoyed it, so I do not think this is any fault of the tea just a preference thing. The chai becomes sweeter as it cools and gains a level of richness. I am curious to try this as an iced chai at some point.

This isn’t “Chai Ho.”

This is “Chai Whoa.”

You are getting spices that you’ve never heard of before in here. In the dry leaves, where the ginger attacks your olfactories like an eager-but-inept makeout partner, the aroma is peppered with the rich layers of fennel and cinnamon. This smooths way out in the cup as the latter takes over completely: “Ginger, stop embarrassing yourself.” “Yes ma’am.”

The very first sip is a call to throw away your sugar. That cinnamon joins forces with safflower and rose petals to form a band called Natural Sweetness. Unfortunately, this means that the ginger gets left behind–maybe there wasn’t enough room in the van. You can still smell it in the aroma, but as you drink up that dusky ochre liquor… Full review here: http://snooteablog.com/2013/10/01/snooty-tea-review-justea/

After being in India for 2 month I have to say that this chai tastes nothing like Indian chais. But it’s not supposed to, since it’s an African chai. So it has a bit of a different feel to it than the usual Indian chais I drink, which makes it a nice alternative.
The base of this tea is the Kenyan Black from Justea. See my review there for details of the base tea. I’ll focus more on the spices here.
First of all the spices are very balanced, nothing really sticks out (which I like a lot). Maybe the fennel seeds and the licorice. But all the spices blend in very well with the base tea. This gives a nice complex taste.
The mix of spices and the sweetness of the tea is fantastic. There although the taste is more in direction of fennel and licorice, there is also pepper and cloves, mixed with the maltiness of the base tea.
I tasted the tea just as is with a bit sugar and its good. However, I think the full potential comes out when drinking it with milk. I haven’t tested it simmered in milk, which would probably THE thing to do and its the way that it’s done in Kenya (and India).
The steeping time is a bit longer for me, since some of the spices need a bit of time to develop their full potential. But maybe that’s just my personal taste, I tend to like longer steeping times.
The overall rating of this chai is pretty high, it beat’s most of the chais I have tasted so far. However, I do like the Masala Chai from the tea guy (who also created this chai) a touch better. Therefore not the full 100 points.

A great combination of chai spices and malty black tea. Straight up, you taste the maltiness of the black tea, followed by the spices with a sweet aftertaste. Added milk and sweetener, the tea becomes more flavorful with the spices melding better with the black base.

I’ve been slacking off on my sample stash this summer. While I’ve been dutifully chugging through a couple of teas I’d acquired in massive (well, 3 oz.) quantities, I’ve mostly only been drinking tea at work. And I don’t like to try anything for the first time at work, since I can’t do much in the way of timing or controlling temperature there. I have been drinking copious quantities of iced corn, corn silk, and barley tisanes I picked up from HMart at home, so there’s that.

Anyway, now that it’s getting cooler, I’m more inclined to reach for hot tea, and today I decided to break out this sample of African Chai I’ve been hanging onto for the better part of a year. I picked this up from someone—maybe Nicole_Martin?—at one of the now-defunct NYC meet-ups. And while it’s not my ideal chai, it’s pretty good! I’m enjoying the base; it’s got just the right amount of astringency and malt for my tastes.

There’s a nice natural sweetness to this chai. It’s a little heavy on the cloves and light on the everything else for my taste, but it does taste pleasingly gingerbread-y. I’m not generally a fan of fennel or liquorice in teas, but while I do taste them they’re subtle enough not to bother me here. I was intrigued by the inclusion of rose, since I love the one other rose chai I’ve tried, but I can’t taste it here. All in all, this is a nice fall tea, and a great way to cap off my brunch of pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin butter. I’m not sure if it’s something I’d want to pick up more of, but I have enough left for another cup to mull it over.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Kaylee

We should have another meet-up! I’ll post something in the discussion thread once the site’s working properly again.

Also, pumpkin pancakes sound delicious!

greenteafairy

We should! I’m awful at organizing things but am definitely up for a meet-up.

I used a great mix from Trader Joe’s for my pumpkin pancakes; highly recommended!

1922 tasting notes

Thank you MissB for sharing this with me. I was seriously worried that I would not like this given it is a chai with licorice root. However, sipping on it now, it really is not bad. I don’t think it is something I will be stocking but I am also not looking to find someone to pawn it off on either. The most prominent flavor is cloves but all the other spices are present and balanced. Not bad though not necessarily for me.

Here’s another sipdown from my *Sil*box.
This is actually quite tasty! Thanks to Robert the Devotea, my homemade chai making will never be the same. I used the whole sample with 16oz of vanilla almond milk, letting it warm up slowly in a pan for quite some time. After about 20 minutes I started bringing up the temp, until it was nice & hot (but not boiling).
It took a lot longer to make than it is taking to drink, LOL.
The blend of spices is very nice with this cup, with ginger & a molasses taste being up front.

i quite liked the justea teas, though this one would have to be made traditional style for me to get behind it

Ah, I remember now why I didn’t order this in my jusTea buy a few months back. While I love the company and want to support it in any way that I can, most of their offerings are just outside my interest… and so I share it with friends and colleagues around the world.

This came in the last (May 2014) Amoda box. Lots of flowers in the blend, which in a chai I’m actually cool with; I find it adds a hint of smooth sweetness to the blend (usually). In this case, that’s exactly what it does, and I quite like it. I’ve obviously had it before from the rating, and I’ll keep it at that, however I doubt I’d go out of my way to order this. I do like it, it’s a very, very good chai.. just outside my tastes at this time.

Suziqzer

Bummer that Amoda canceled their program. Great price point for a monthly sampler. I’m hoping they come back with something as good or better for us all :)

Marzipan

Handmade tea has a good price one.

Cavocorax

They sound interesting, but sadly it’s US only. At least Amoda was in Vancouver so it gave us Canadians an option. Fingers crossed that their new program is as good or better than the current one!