Yame Shincha #3

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Asparagus, Grass, Broccoli, Corn Husk, Vegetables, Peas, Salty, Sweet, Chicken Soup
High
Edit tea info Last updated by ZachMangan

Available from 1 seller.

From Kettl

Fukuoka, Japan
Sourced specially for Steepster, this fresh, first flush shincha is the “beaujolais nouveau” of tea. An intoxicating, dry leaf aroma and deep emerald color leads to a grassy, sweet, and heady liquor. This is the taste of real tea.

About Kettl View company

We are a New York City and Fukuoka, Japan based tea and teaware company. We believe simple, delicious tea and well designed teaware support a creative, healthy and uncomplicated lifestyle. We are passionate about beautiful design and the uncompromising quality of our teas.

I think I am drinking asparagus. And I think I like it.

Flavors: Asparagus

Backlog:

A very soothing and brothy tea. It smells more vegetal to me than tastes. It doesn’t have a heavy grassy note to it. Instead, I’d compare it to steamed veggies.

A delicious green. Very invigorating. A good balance between sweet, salty and savory.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/05/20/yame-shincha-3-green-tea-from-tea-wing/

I am on the fence with this tea. Very grassy tasting and better when steeped longer. Must use a fine mesh filter or you have a big mess in your cup!

Flavors: Grass

Second and last packet from an old Steepster monthly box. /mourn

This is really good – I made the first cup as per the packet – 6 oz @ 45 second steep, and it was good. I steeped the leaves again for much longer and it never really got oversteeped, so that’s quite nice.

In which I imitate theteafairy and take pics of my tea and teaware:

(1st steep: 45 sec) There is a nearly overwhelming amount of grass and vegetable aroma coming from this tea. I had a feeling it would strong from the green of the tea leaves. The first flavor you get is cut grass with a slight corn flavor underneath. The grass lingers for quite a while after the tea has been swallowed. Given the strength in aroma and flavor of this tea, I wonder if a second steeping will tone it down a little.
(2nd steep: 1 min) The aroma is toned down quite a bit in the second steeping, but is still much the same as the first cup. The flavor has not been toned down much. However, the corn undertone is not present in this steeping. It has been replaced with a more vegetable flavor. I am having trouble picking out what green vegetable, but if I had to guess I would say broccoli. Despite these subtle changes the tea still has the long finish present in the first steeping.

Flavors: Broccoli, Corn Husk, Grass, Vegetables

Bright green, looks like grass clippings. Tastes very fresh, brings to mind spring.

Bright, green, vegetal notes with a grassy tone bordering on astringent. My first sip instantly brought me to thoughts of asparagus, artichokes, and Brussels sprouts at family dinners – not bad memories, as I do enjoy my vegetables, but not as my morning drink. An unusual experience that I don’t know if I’m willing to repeat. 5/10, not terrible, just not a flavor profile that I enjoyed.

I was in love from the moment I tore open the package! The aroma was sweet, with scents of green peas and grass clippings. It actually looks like grass clippings, so maybe that part’s just in my head.

Anyhow, I steeped it according to package instructions, and enjoyed the vapors while it steeped. The first sip was a complete surprise, as the sweetness in the nose did not come through on the tongue at all. It was almost salty. It’s just the slightest bit bitter at the end, so on the next steep, I may shorten up the brewing time.

What I love most is how the flavor continues to develop after the sip’s been swallowed. It lingers and morphs in ways I wish my vocabulary was equipped to describe.

From the May 2014 Select box.

Flavors: Grass, Peas, Salty, Sweet

Wowie Yummmmmmmmmm!!! When you open the package, this shincha smells like salty chicken soup.
I took the suggested 175F temp down to 170F and I steeped shorter too for about 15 seconds for personal preference. I do not want my green tea burned so I always baby it so much.
This tastes fantastic!!!!!!! Tastes like chicken soup and the cooked leaves are tiny and some do get into your cup but I ate some and they taste like fresh sweet baby spinach in your soup. Absolutely no bitterness, no astringency.
I have some gyokuro from Teawing as well and they have the most excellent Japanese green teas!!!!!!!!
Yummm Yummm,,,I’m glad I have another package of this. I had to rush and meet the post lady yesterday so my Steepster Select box would not cook in the hot desert sun. When it cools off in the desert,,,I will be ordering some of this. I need to drink my gyokuro first anyway ;)
__________________________________________________________________________
7/30/14
Having my other packet from the Select club this morning. I usually don’t drink a tea this savory in the morning but I had some water that was going down in temp to use up (I do not waste water here in the desert) so I grabbed this. It is soooooo delicious!!!!! I am almost detecting a note of cream this morning along with the chicken soup flavor. It has a great mouthfeel and flavor. This is an excellent tea to have with savory food that is for sure but I am enjoying it as a breakfast tea this morning. Plus, in Hawaii, they had miso soup, salmon, rice, etc. for breakfast options so I am sure they eat this way in the morning in Japan. It would be a perfect tea to pair with those foods. IT is excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!

From the Steepster Select Box, May 2014

Flavors: Chicken Soup

TheTeaFairy

Chicken soup, so interesting and funny!
When the used green leaves are sweet and tender, I add them to my green smoothies the next morning, super nutritious.

Lee

Oh what a good idea!!! I will do that next time!!!

TheTeaFairy

Oh, and I add oolong leaves (mostly green Tie Guan Yin) in my stir fry…I’m a total tea geek!

Lee

Oh no,,,not gonna add any Tie Guan Yin to any food. I don’t even like drinking Tie Guan Yin that much,,,maybe I haven’t found the best settings for that one for me. It hurts my stomach too.

TheTeaFairy

Don’t worry, there are plenty of other types of tea around too keep you busy and stomach ache free!
(Damn iPad, I had “unfollowed” you my mistake, I just clicked “follow” again so don’t be surprised to receive a notice, lol)

Lee

Oh ok lol!!! Yeah I’m on my Grampa-box lol. When are they gonna get the ap up and running for Steepster?