Darjeeling Makaïbari BIO

From Kusmi Tea

First Flush

About Kusmi Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

Sometimes I feel like I’m having to try to read my own mind, which sounds easy but is surprisingly complicated. Particularly when the mind reading has to occur retroactively.

In sorting the stash I came across several non-blended, non-flavored Kusmi teas. This is one of them. I can’t remember what I was thinking when I ordered them. Kusmi’s plain teas haven’t been much discussed on Steepster, so I can only surmise that I was curious about them and decided to order a few.

This is a pretty typical darjeeling, with winey notes in the dry leaves and steeped tea aroma and flavor. What I like about this one is that the notes aren’t overly sharp. The tea is smooth and easy to drink. It’s slightly astringent.

There’s also another note, less typical of the darjeelings I’ve experienced. Something that is reminiscent of cocoa. A deeper, rounder, sweeter aroma and flavor than some of the very Muscatel-y ones.

I’ve had at least one other Makaibari tea, a second flush from Todd & Holland. Steepster says that this Kusmi one is a first flush, but I can’t find the Makaibari on the Kusmi US site anymore so I can’t get more information.

I don’t know whether the difference in flavor is because of the first flush vs. second flush thing or something else, but I like this one better.

Flavors: Astringent, Cocoa, Muscatel, Smooth, White Wine

Daylon R Thomas

Muscatel Darjeelings are my some of my favorites…

__Morgana__

Yeah, its a very characteristic smell/taste. I have to admit though that I’ve never actually had Muscatel. I sort of think of it as a low quality wine because of its reputation.