Sweet Love

Cardamom Pods, Chinese Black Tea, Licorice Root, Pink Peppercorn, Spices
Cardamon, Licorice, Spices, Anise
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “This is like a licorice chai, two things I am not a fan of, however *The Teaist* was so sweet to send me over a bit to try that I decided to give it a taste. Unfortunately, with my first sip, I...” Read full tasting note
    rachel12610 1932 tasting notes
  • “Another wellness blend from Kusmi. I steeped this for 4 minutes and that seems about right to me. I hope I'm not making a mistake by drinking this late in the day but I just woke up from a nap...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2401 tasting notes
  • “(Note seems to no longer be available online) Steep Information: Amount: 3 tsp, 12.2g Water: 750ml filtered 212°F Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL Steep Time: 2 minutes Served:...” Read full tasting note
    amazonv 702 tasting notes
  • “This tea is spicy w/strong licorice flavor and sweet undertones. As I am a fan of licorice, (can't resist Sambuca), this could turn into a favorite of mine. And who could resist the welcome...” Read full tasting note
    lorimarantopittman 328 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Smooth and spicy blend of black China tea, liquorice root, cardamom, cinnamon, guarana seed and pink pepper.

About Kusmi Tea View company

This is by far one of my favourite Chai-Tea blends. The tea itself is delicate enough to allow a steep that lets the spices come through without a bitter finish. It doesn’t require milk or sugar to be delicious, as some chai blends do.

I would however, recommend separating the cardamom pods and pink pepper and giving them a bit of a crunch before you brew. This brings out their flavour much more than leaving them whole.

This was the first Kusmi tea I tried from my order. I was really impressed. I’d never really had a tea with licorice root before, so I wasn’t expecting that sweet aftertaste, and was pleasantly surprised when I swallowed and the sweetness lingered in my mouth. With vanilla soymilk, or even just milk to bring out the sweetness of this tea, there’s no need to add sugar. It’s dessert all on its own. I think the name, Sweet Love, fits it extremely well.

The tea itself is really beautiful was well. Colorful bits and pieces all mixed together. It’s a very festive-looking tea. The tin is beautiful. I love the little drawing on the side.

I gave this a go and (sorry to everyone who loved it) but I honestly found the flavor very odd and just not very good. The novelty of the licorice was not lost on me though. I did find it fun to take a sip, and then feel the natural “sweetness” build in the back of my mouth. That was certainly a very interesting experience. However, on the basis of pure taste alone, I did not find this blend very appealing. I could just be a victim of my own palate here though, as I’m not very partial to herbals. Make no mistake, although this blend does contain some black tea, it consists predominately of the other herbal ingredients (ginseng and liquorice roots, spices, guarana seed and pink pepper). Maybe that’s why it put me off. At the very least I can use the remaining tea from my sample canister for a quick “pick-me-up” (guarana seed has double the caffeine of a coffee bean). If someone would like to suggest some sort of alternate preparation method, I’d be happy to revisit it.

I have been putting off trying Kusmi Sweet Love because every time I found myself reaching for it, it has been late in the day, and I have concluded that the black tea first ingredient would keep me awake. Whoops—silly me.

In fact, this is more of a licorice root than a black tea. My sachet also contained, remarkably, three—count ’em 3!—cardamom pods. That was probably just luck of the draw, but it does seem a bit excessive

Despite all of that cardamom (three pods of cardamom ground might actually be toxic!), the licorice root still prevails as the dominant flavor in this blend. The black tea is more like an afterthought. I realized this when I saw how many more spices (also pink pepper) there were than leaves of black tea. The liquor is orange amber.

Anyway, Sweet Love is not bad for a spicy licorice tea, which is what this really is—against my expectations. In addition to the sample sachet, I have a small tin of the loose blend. When I make a pot, I’ll probably use a smaller ratio of cardamom to black tea.

(Blazing New Rating #73)

Flavors: Cardamon, Licorice

Boiling 5 min, 30 sec 2 g 9 OZ / 266 ML
TeaBrat

Cardamom is toxic?

sherapop

No, TeaBrat, but it is incredibly potent. I think that consuming that much powdered cardamom could actually be dangerous…

This tea is the first of the three free samples I got with my Kusmi Tea order (thanks for the freebies!). First, I must say that I am slightly disappointed that their sample tea bags are not the fancy linen bags that they generally package their bagged teas in. They’re that synthetic material that most pyramid tea bags are made of but they’re in a standard rectangular shape. This seems a little cheap to me, but hey, I guess that’s what you get for free. :P

Smelling the dry tea, I immediately knew that I most likely wouldn’t enjoy this blend. It smells very strongly of licorice root, of which I am not a fan. Being a good sport, I elected to try it anyway. I steeped it for 4 minutes and added a small amount of sugar.

The brew also smells strongly of licorice root, with a slightly milder scent of spice, similar to chai. I find that I barely even taste the black tea base – it’s overpowered by the licorice root immediately. There is also a fainter taste of chai spice. The two flavors do meld together well, and I’m sure that someone who enjoys licorice teas would love this one. I hardly think it fair to give this one a rating since I was bound to dislike it. :P

Flavors: Licorice, Spices

TheTeaFairy

You like licorice? Then you must remember to try So Long, and Thanks for All the Licorice if you ever place an order with Butiki. It’s a must for all licorice lovers!

boychik

i did not like it, i sampled in a store.

No, I do not like licorice. :D

boychik

i cant wait until you try Bouquet de Fleirs. I just want to know your opinion.

Cameron B.

Wow, I really appreciate that. I’m going to do my second try on the St. Petersburg next but I’ll definitely do Bouquet de Fleurs soon!

TheTeaFairy

Lol, sorry, for some reason I read «…I knew that I most likely would enjoy…» and thought immediately of mentioning Butiki… I get it, “not a fan” lol :-0

Cameron B.

Yeah, like I need more suggestions from Butiki! I already have so many from them that I want to try. Don’t think I don’t see what you’re doing, TheTeaFairy! ;)

TheTeaFairy

Haha! If it makes you feel any better, I’m running out of almost all my tea from Butiki and will inevitably HAVE to place a major oder very soon…and it will hurt…my budget will be off balanced for a while…but in will be sooooo worth it ;-)

Again, a teaspoon of honey, for the sore throat…

1945 tasting notes

Sipdown (190/195)!

Didn’t log my two evening teas last night because I was watching the BIG BROTHER CANADA TWO FINALE! And then, after watching it I had so many feels and was in a very distraught place and I couldn’t bring myself to write more tasting notes…

Jon won; and rightly so – out of the two final houseguests he had played the better game by far. But I couldn’t fathom how Neda got left in third place! Urghhh! She played the best game this season, in my opinion, without doubt – and she wanted to win so much more than either of the two sitting in the final chairs. She was also my favourite (along with Jon) this season – I could have accepted (maybe not agreed with, but accepted) if she had lost to Jon; but the fact Slobrina beat her crushes me.

Gah.

But yeah, thanks VariaTEA for the sample (that it feels like you sent ages ago; my bad) – I put it off because it’s a chai and I was feeling sorta meh about it, but now that I’ve had it I was actually very pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I know exactly why too, haha. It’s the licorice: I hadn’t looked at the ingredients for this prior to having it, but man does it have licorice in it.

I couldn’t taste anything but! Awesome for a licorice fan like me, not so much for a non-licorice lover…

So long Sweet Love; you were a pleasant surprise but not a big enough one for me to really want you again either.

VariaTEA

This is why I sent it to you – the thing you liked (the licorice) was the part I hated and consequently, I thought you would appreciate it more than me.

Roswell Strange

And you were correct :P

VariaTEA

This is why many times I don’t feel bad for sending you teas that I dumped out. Except in the case of Crazy Caramel Popcorn, that I felt bad about but needed to know if I was insane or not for tasting soy sauce.

This came in a Kusmi Tea boxed sampler and it’s definitely become one of my favorites. Great tea with a hint of spice and a sweet finishing note.

It smells very spicy, I expected it to taste like cinnamon but it does not. Im not sure if it tastes like liquorice because any liquorice Ive ever eaten wasnt delicious- quite the opposite, it was horrible but this tea IS delicious, what I like most about it is the after-taste which is very sweet and lasts for a long time.

I don’t even usually like liquorice, and this is one of my favorite teas! It tastes sweet, slightly spicy but not overwhelming. The loose tea is beautiful with pink peppercorns and big green cardamom pods. It smells delicious, like chai and candy, and doesn’t require much added sweetener. The color could be prettier, but isn’t a drawback. A must buy whenever I’m in Disney World’s Epcot!