Christmas (Rois Mages)

Vanilla
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

• “Hi everyone! (Arms waving wildly and happy dancing!) I am finally back after a long hiatus due to lots of work, skating in an ice skating show for the first time in a long time, general holiday...” Read full tasting note
    Ninavampi 158 tasting notes
  • “this was an insightful inclusion by one miss VariaTEA in a return swap. this blend calls old fashioned christmas trees to mind, the ones decorated with oranges studded with cloves in eccentric...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes
  • “Second note for this tea.More indulgent. Thé des rois mages was the only tea remaining in my office this morning. Don't know what I did this week end but simply forgot to refill my empty tins...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 340 tasting notes
  • “Have a backlog, since I'm not capable of tasting anything properly at the moment, the Tan Yang Te Ji (♥) of this morning being proof thereof, and also it seems like it's been a while since I wrote...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1269 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Blend of China black tea flavoured with orange, almond, vanilla and spices. Tastes like a christmas cake. Tasting advice: delicious plain or sweetened.

About Kusmi Tea View company

This was a pretty decent holiday blend. I guess I was expecting a stronger taste of “holiday spice” (cinamon, nutmeg, etc), but this came across really mild to me (which I suppose is something I’ve come to expect from Kusmi). On their website the description for this tea says it “tastes like a Christmas cake”, and I think its a very apt description. This does taste like a Christmas cake (specifically it reminds me of a fruitcake). If you like the idea of a tea that tastes similar to a holiday fruitcake, then this is the tea for you. I personally found it to be a good but not outstanding blend. I may reorder this at Christmas time just for the novelty of it one year, but I don’t consider this good enough to become a holiday tradition at my home.

Smooth and seamless, but I prefer other Kusmi teas to this one.

Currently, I am suffering from allergies and was craving something a little spicy to get the annoying buzzy feeling out of my ears and throat, so spice it is! JustJames sent me a bit of this around Christmas.

I brewed 1.25 TSP in 225 ml for 2.5min.

Hot, I smelled mostly fruit, with the base tea combining with the orange and vanilla to create something almost berryish, cloves and ginger and a hint of cardamon. As it cooled the almond and vanilla notes, as well as the orange became more distinct.

I found the tea to be not as spicy tasting as it smells but the cloves and possibly pepper does create a tingling on the tongue and a cooling in the back of the throat. The fruit is very present in the forefront, with the vanilla becoming more distinct and separate as it cools and the base contributes a cherry note that sweetens the orange. The base contributes a sense of thickness as a result of a mild astringency and its moderate level of tannins. It is quite fruity on its own and contributes a hint of floral, as well as slight malt and bready notes.

Altogether this is what I needed at this moment. Thanks James!

TheTeaFairy

Hope your allergies will clear up soon :-)

yyz

Thanks, so do I!

Being only recently introduced to Kusmi teas and a lover nearly all things almond, I was delighted to get a sample of this from VariaTEA.

First thing I smell is cinnamon. The description says it is just like eating a Christmas cake, but I have never tried or even heard of one! Maybe it is more of a European thing? First sip, whoa! Too much leaf with too little water! Good thing there is an easy solution for that. Diluted and sweetened… I would enjoy a cake that tasted like this! The tea base is strong and dominates the cup. As it cools I get more orange on the sip, but the almond blends in so well that I can’t pick it out on it’s own. I think I can taste it a tiny bit in different parts of each sip, but then other flavors come in before I can figure it out for sure. The tea is nice and quite smooth. The verdict is still out on if this is a must have for my cupboard or not.

Christmas or not, this tea is good! I could certainly drink this one all year round. I can’t really detect any of the spices individually, but they’re adding a nice backdrop in the taste. The flavor is malty with a hint of sweet orange (not tart orange) and there’s a very heavy almond vanilla aftertaste that lingers nicely. This one is blended well, with all of the flavors meshing together. Thank you, VariaTEA!

-Dry blend has medium black tea leaves with small pieces of orange peel.
-Dry leaves smell lightly of fresh oranges with a hint of sweet vanilla. Tea liquor aroma is of warm spices with vanilla.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium brown yellow color.
-Malty flavor with a light sweet orange finish. Heavy almond and vanilla aftertaste that lingers.
-Best with sweetener. Milk optional.
-Very good tea. A creamy cup. Malty flavor with touches of oranges and spices. Sweet vanilla almond ending.

Almonds, vanilla and spices. Does what it says on the tin, but the tea manages to overpower the added flavours, and also taste somehow weak. It does not evoke a sense or the spirit of Christmas to me, so I think I prefer the French name. I swear I taste rooibos in this.

nothing incredibly impressive, but still nice.

This tea is interesting, it definitely is Christmas tea, but I am not detecting much more then spice and black tea. There is a hint of orange and maybe a little almond, but it is like previous reviewers have been saying; “subtle”. I personally LOVE that as I would rather taste more of the tea then spices and flavors, so this is a high scorer in my book, but I suppose I was a little disappointed since I love oranges and almonds, and I thought that would be more prominent.
I do recommend!

More mild than their Prince Vladimir tea, Kusmi’s Christmas tea is dominated by orange. The other “six” spices of the tea disappear in a pleasing way. I actually enjoy this tea better than their strongly spiced Prince Vladimir (which ironically, I think, makes a better holiday tea) but would not buy again out of personal preference.

This was a truly delicious tea. I liked the way the orange, spices, vanilla, and almond all blended together so well that they became one flavor. I also liked the fact that I could taste the black China tea. The spices didn’t overwhelm the tea the way they can so often in teas with added flavorings.