Kashmir Tchai

Black Chai Blend
Cardamon, Cloves, Licorice, Cherry Wood, Sweet, Anise, Cinnamon, Pepper, Ginger, Spices, Smooth, Tea, Clove
Edit tea info Last updated by Leonor

2 Images

• “Made on the stovetop with Teavana English Breakfast (High Grown) as the extra black tea, just because it was close at hand having arrived as part of the tea of the month club for August while I was...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 1165 tasting notes
  • “I have had a little tin of this for awhile now and am just now getting around to trying it. I get cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and an okay but not awesome strength of tea. I actually really like...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 750 tasting notes
  • “Warning: brewed this up in milk, with brown sugar, simmering for about 8 minutes or so. Done with water the “proper” way it will probably be different. I am rather on a quest for chai,...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 354 tasting notes
  • “Chai teas have definitely been growing on me. I now know the specifics in which I enjoy them and try to stick to those guidelines. I like my blander chai teas to be hot with no additives. I like my...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Blend of black teas from China and spices, based on the traditional Nepalese recipe. The digestive properties of the spices in this mixture make it an ideal drink with meals.

SUGGESTIONS FOR PREPARING
Infusion Time: 3 to 4 minutes
Best water temperature: 90°C

About Kusmi Tea View company

One of my favorite Massalas from French Tea Companies.

I’ve heard people complain that Kusmi tea is a little expensive and maybe not the greatest tasting. I’d completely disagree. (The pictures don’t do it justice, the tin I got was huuuuuge.) Kashmir Tchai isn’t particularly surprising, it tastes basically how it smells, and it smells good. Spicy, subtle, good on a winter day.

This tea wasn’t bad, but was also nothing special. At the recommended brew time, the chai flavoring wasn’t spicy enough, and it left the tea very bland. Maybe a longer steep time will improve the flavor, but I can’t see myself rushing back to try that when there are other, better chai teas out there.

Spot-on spice mix! It’s difficult to find bagged chai blends that do the job, but this one definitely excels.

I got a spoonful of this particular tea from TeaEqualsBliss (I think – I have so many little samples from various people floating around).

There are bits of something green interspered with the black tea – are they green tea leaves or something different? I’m mostly getting cloves and cardamom flavours in the tea with a hint of anise maybe. It’s nice enough, but I tend to like my chais bolder and spicier. This tea is quite smooth, and there’s a hint of a “leafy green” taste to it aswell. Nice but I think I like my Tazo chai better.

This is a decent Chai, just not outstanding. It has the signature “smoothness” of a Kusmi tea and that could be one reason I can’t rate this one higher. That smooth lack of tannin I love so much in other Kusmi teas does not seem to serve this one well. I like my Chai’s bond, sassy and full of flavor. This one was just a bit too subdued for my tastes (it almost seemed bland by comparison to other Chai’s I’ve had). If a smooth and mild Chai is your thing though, this is the tea for you!

I’m drinking this one as a latte today – clearly that’s what I’m about this morning! I actually started my sample tin yesterday, when I was out of the office running an event. I prepared that just like I would any black tea – 1 tsp of leaf in boiling water for 4 minutes, finished off with a splash of milk. I enjoyed it – it has a pleasant spiciness that really helped to warm me up on a chilly morning. I really, really enjoy chai as a latte, though. It’s probably one of my favourite things in the world, if I’m honest. For this cup, I used 2 tsp of leaf in half a cup of boiling water, topped up with hot milk. It’s sufficiently spicy that the milk doesn’t drown it, and I can easily pick out clove, cardamon, ginger and cinnamon. The black tea base is smooth and inconspicuous, which is nice in this case because it really lets the spices shine.

I find this to be a fairly mild chai. It doesn’t have anything to give it any real heat – no pepper, chili, etc. I don’t always want that in a chai, but it adds an extra dimension. This one is moderately spicy, not too in-your-face, and the milk gentles it still further. It’s a comforting, warm hug of a cup. Just what I need right now, basically. I’m happy with this one!

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

Received a gift pack that included a small 25g tin of this.

Has a very fragrant aroma of rich mixed spice, and brews into a pleasant golden sheen. Drank the first cup with half a sugar, as I drink most teas, but the added spices and flavour meant I easy drank it neat with no complaints.

A complete tea novice – I received a few samples for Christmas so just beginning my discovery journey.
I’m steeping my tea in a Bodum Yo-Yo infuser cup. Water today is from the hot water boiler in my office with a splash of cold, so temperature is approximate.
I have a sweet tooth (take 2 sugars in breakfast tea) but felt no need to sweeten this tea.
This tea was flavoursome without being overpowering.

Flavors: Cardamon, Cloves, Licorice

I tried this tea out for the first time about 20 minutes ago, but it took the second cup for me to actually sit down and write a review.
The first time it wasn’t strong enough because Im used to using very little amounts of the Kusmi black teas, since they inflate in warm water. I also just left the bag in for 4 minutes after looking it up online. Then I added rice milk (I like the slight sweetness it adds, and unlike soy-milk it doesn’t really have that distinguished a taste), and 1 teaspoon of Xylitol (40% less calories than sugar, the exact same taste, not damaging to your teeth, doesn’t spike your insulin levels). It wasn’t bad, but I wasn’t impressed either.

This time I let it sit for 10 minutes and added the same amount of rice milk & sugar and it turned out perfect. I have never had a nicer tasting chai tea latte in my home.
Since this one is rather mild, but has the perfect composition of the different flavors, where none is too overtaking, I recommend letting the tea bag in for at least 10 minutes.

I highly recommend this tea to anybody who likes the Chai Latte they sell at “Cappuccino” .

J x