Kashmir Tchai

Black Chai Blend
Anise, Cinnamon, Smooth, Tea, Cardamon, Clove, Ginger
Edit tea info Last updated by Leonor

2 Images

• “Made on the stovetop with Teavana English Breakfast (High Grown) as the extra black tea, just because it was close at hand having arrived as part of the tea of the month club for August while I was...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 953 tasting notes
  • “I have had a little tin of this for awhile now and am just now getting around to trying it. I get cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and an okay but not awesome strength of tea. I actually really like...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 613 tasting notes
  • “Warning: brewed this up in milk, with brown sugar, simmering for about 8 minutes or so. Done with water the "proper" way it will probably be different. I am rather on a quest...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 335 tasting notes
  • “Chai teas have definitely been growing on me. I now know the specifics in which I enjoy them and try to stick to those guidelines. I like my blander chai teas to be hot with no additives. I like my...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Blend of black teas from China and spices, based on the traditional Nepalese recipe. The digestive properties of the spices in this mixture make it an ideal drink with meals.

SUGGESTIONS FOR PREPARING
Infusion Time: 3 to 4 minutes
Best water temperature: 90°C

About Kusmi Tea View company

One of my favorite Massalas from French Tea Companies.

I’ve heard people complain that Kusmi tea is a little expensive and maybe not the greatest tasting. I’d completely disagree. (The pictures don’t do it justice, the tin I got was huuuuuge.) Kashmir Tchai isn’t particularly surprising, it tastes basically how it smells, and it smells good. Spicy, subtle, good on a winter day.

This tea wasn’t bad, but was also nothing special. At the recommended brew time, the chai flavoring wasn’t spicy enough, and it left the tea very bland. Maybe a longer steep time will improve the flavor, but I can’t see myself rushing back to try that when there are other, better chai teas out there.

Spot-on spice mix! It’s difficult to find bagged chai blends that do the job, but this one definitely excels.

I got a spoonful of this particular tea from TeaEqualsBliss (I think – I have so many little samples from various people floating around).

There are bits of something green interspered with the black tea – are they green tea leaves or something different? I’m mostly getting cloves and cardamom flavours in the tea with a hint of anise maybe. It’s nice enough, but I tend to like my chais bolder and spicier. This tea is quite smooth, and there’s a hint of a “leafy green” taste to it aswell. Nice but I think I like my Tazo chai better.

This is a decent Chai, just not outstanding. It has the signature “smoothness” of a Kusmi tea and that could be one reason I can’t rate this one higher. That smooth lack of tannin I love so much in other Kusmi teas does not seem to serve this one well. I like my Chai’s bond, sassy and full of flavor. This one was just a bit too subdued for my tastes (it almost seemed bland by comparison to other Chai’s I’ve had). If a smooth and mild Chai is your thing though, this is the tea for you!

Bag: The muslin(cotton weave) tea bags are packaged in individual plastic foil backed bags. On the label they have the brew time and temperature in Celsius.
Tea: Brewed at about 200F for 4 minutes the tea is a dark orange maple color. Aroma was strong with the scent of anise and cinnamon. Flavor was distinct with the taste of licorice(Anise) and cinnamon(Cardamom). Astringency was light.
Notes: This tea was from the Kusmi Tea Essentials pack of 24 teas, and each tea bag was about $0.94usd. I was not sure what to expect from a tea called Kashmir Tchai, maybe something more spicy. Anise isn’t my favorite spice but I can imagine drinking this in the winter with a teaspoon of sugar. Its very smooth and a pleasure to drink but is not distinctive in flavor. Label reads Traditional Blend of Teas and Spices. That being said I can taste the Anise, Mate, and Green Cardamom as well as I can see 1cm long Black tea leaves in the bag.

Flavors: Anise, Cinnamon, Smooth

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

This review is for the bagged version of the this tea. When I bought this I was beginning my tea appreciation and I was on a quest for a good chai. I bought this because there’s a Kusmi retail outlet near my office and I wanted to give them a try. This chai is a lot milder than the spicy chais I’m used to. In fact it doesn’t really taste like chai to me at all. There are hints of the flavors and spices but they don’t come through very well. Add milk and the flavors really almost disappear. My IBS doesn’t allow me to drink chais very often so when I do, I like one that’s bolder. I will say that this chai doesn’t cause a flare up so it has that going for it.

Flavors: Anise, Smooth, Tea

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 11 OZ / 325 ML

I purchased this in a stash sale, although I’m unsure whose at this point. Oops! I realized recently that I tend to never reach for my chais for some reason, so I’ve decided to make it a point to drink them more. The fact that this one is from Kusmi makes me have high hopes for it. The base is very small black tea leaves, and there are a lot of dried spices mixed in. I can identify cloves and pieces of ginger, along with cardamom and cinnamon bark. There are some dried green leaves that look like broken-up bay leaves to me, which seems odd. The dry scent kind of reminds me of Italian sausage, heh. In a good way though! I did a five-minute steep in about 6 ounces of water and then added sugar and vanilla soy milk.

This is actually a rather delicious chai! I can definitely taste the ginger, but it doesn’t bother me here. The clove, cinnamon, and cardamom are lovely, and I think I can taste a little bit of anise as well. The spices are actually strong enough, which is very good – weakly spiced chai is one of my pet peeves. I would definitely love to try this one with the traditional stovetop chai method, I bet it would be amazing! :)

Flavors: Anise, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger

Christina

My guess is that the tea contains fennel seeds, since you mention the smell is like Italian sausage and the flavour is like anise. Do you see any small seeds in the dry leaf that look like this? http://scottandkat.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Fennel-Seeds.jpg

A smooth chai with little heat to it, just something mellow and calming. There’s an interesting flavor in here I’m new to in a chai, and I think it may be the ingredient whose name escapes me currently that’s in the same family as Bay Leaves. Whatever it is, its tasty, and the six-year-old said this is his favorite of the three chais on my desk today.

Thank you OMGsrlsy for sharing this with me, and for taking time out of your day to meet with me and surprise me with this huge bag of tea treats!

OMGsrsly

:D You should have expected it! You warned me you had samples, and a warning = time for me to prepare.