Kashmir Tchai

Black Chai Blend
Cardamon, Cherry Wood, Sweet, Anise, Cinnamon, Pepper, Ginger, Spices, Smooth, Tea, Clove
Edit tea info Last updated by Leonor

2 Images

• “Made on the stovetop with Teavana English Breakfast (High Grown) as the extra black tea, just because it was close at hand having arrived as part of the tea of the month club for August while I was...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 953 tasting notes
  • “I have had a little tin of this for awhile now and am just now getting around to trying it. I get cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and an okay but not awesome strength of tea. I actually really like...” Read full tasting note
    nburriss 692 tasting notes
  • “Warning: brewed this up in milk, with brown sugar, simmering for about 8 minutes or so. Done with water the “proper” way it will probably be different. I am rather on a quest for chai,...” Read full tasting note
    cteresa 349 tasting notes
  • “Chai teas have definitely been growing on me. I now know the specifics in which I enjoy them and try to stick to those guidelines. I like my blander chai teas to be hot with no additives. I like my...” Read full tasting note
    cinoi1551 243 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Blend of black teas from China and spices, based on the traditional Nepalese recipe. The digestive properties of the spices in this mixture make it an ideal drink with meals.

Infusion Time: 3 to 4 minutes
Best water temperature: 90°C

About Kusmi Tea View company

Bag: The muslin(cotton weave) tea bags are packaged in individual plastic foil backed bags. On the label they have the brew time and temperature in Celsius.
Tea: Brewed at about 200F for 4 minutes the tea is a dark orange maple color. Aroma was strong with the scent of anise and cinnamon. Flavor was distinct with the taste of licorice(Anise) and cinnamon(Cardamom). Astringency was light.
Notes: This tea was from the Kusmi Tea Essentials pack of 24 teas, and each tea bag was about $0.94usd. I was not sure what to expect from a tea called Kashmir Tchai, maybe something more spicy. Anise isn’t my favorite spice but I can imagine drinking this in the winter with a teaspoon of sugar. Its very smooth and a pleasure to drink but is not distinctive in flavor. Label reads Traditional Blend of Teas and Spices. That being said I can taste the Anise, Mate, and Green Cardamom as well as I can see 1cm long Black tea leaves in the bag.

Flavors: Anise, Cinnamon, Smooth

195 °F / 90 °C 4 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

This review is for the bagged version of the this tea. When I bought this I was beginning my tea appreciation and I was on a quest for a good chai. I bought this because there’s a Kusmi retail outlet near my office and I wanted to give them a try. This chai is a lot milder than the spicy chais I’m used to. In fact it doesn’t really taste like chai to me at all. There are hints of the flavors and spices but they don’t come through very well. Add milk and the flavors really almost disappear. My IBS doesn’t allow me to drink chais very often so when I do, I like one that’s bolder. I will say that this chai doesn’t cause a flare up so it has that going for it.

Flavors: Anise, Smooth, Tea

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 11 OZ / 325 ML

I purchased this in a stash sale, although I’m unsure whose at this point. Oops! I realized recently that I tend to never reach for my chais for some reason, so I’ve decided to make it a point to drink them more. The fact that this one is from Kusmi makes me have high hopes for it. The base is very small black tea leaves, and there are a lot of dried spices mixed in. I can identify cloves and pieces of ginger, along with cardamom and cinnamon bark. There are some dried green leaves that look like broken-up bay leaves to me, which seems odd. The dry scent kind of reminds me of Italian sausage, heh. In a good way though! I did a five-minute steep in about 6 ounces of water and then added sugar and vanilla soy milk.

This is actually a rather delicious chai! I can definitely taste the ginger, but it doesn’t bother me here. The clove, cinnamon, and cardamom are lovely, and I think I can taste a little bit of anise as well. The spices are actually strong enough, which is very good – weakly spiced chai is one of my pet peeves. I would definitely love to try this one with the traditional stovetop chai method, I bet it would be amazing! :)

Flavors: Anise, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Clove, Ginger

My guess is that the tea contains fennel seeds, since you mention the smell is like Italian sausage and the flavour is like anise. Do you see any small seeds in the dry leaf that look like this? http://scottandkat.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Fennel-Seeds.jpg

A smooth chai with little heat to it, just something mellow and calming. There’s an interesting flavor in here I’m new to in a chai, and I think it may be the ingredient whose name escapes me currently that’s in the same family as Bay Leaves. Whatever it is, its tasty, and the six-year-old said this is his favorite of the three chais on my desk today.

Thank you OMGsrlsy for sharing this with me, and for taking time out of your day to meet with me and surprise me with this huge bag of tea treats!

:D You should have expected it! You warned me you had samples, and a warning = time for me to prepare.

It’s chai. Most reviews and such I saw online said it was radically different than a run-of-the-mill chai, but it simply isn’t. It tastes about on par with chais I can get far cheaper, so I shan’t be purchasing it again.

Not terrible, not even bad. Just uneventful. I expected more, but perhaps that’s due to reading up on it before trying it.

This was okay, but a little too light of a tea for me. When I added soy milk it turned white. I’m used to chai teas that are darker and more flavorful. The spices were nice, though!

My preferred cup of Chai, i have loved it since the first day i got it and i always compare every other chai blend to it.

And yes it is not an usual Chai blend it is lighter on cloves than most, which i quite like.

I don´t prepare it by the usual steeped on milk way, i rather use water and then add hot milk and honey/brown sugar.

It also keeps well enough for a 2nd. infusion.