Bouquet of Flowers No. 108

Black Fruit Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by High Adventure

• “I wish my postman would fill out the 'from' field when he gives me that little notice about a package to pick up on the post office. There's one there now, waiting for me to pick it up on saturday....” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1191 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Dinosara* for this sample. I open the tin wondering what will be on the other side to greet me, lets just say I was happy as to what greeted me. Small black chopped tea leaves that...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 983 tasting notes
  • “This is not a popular tea. Nevertheless, I it's been on my shopping list for years because I love bergamot and I love florals. I recently bought a pack of sample tins from Kusmi (the "Russian" set)...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1851 tasting notes
  • “If this tea was a lipton bagged tea I would have said ...nothing... This is a Kusmi tea and I am almost upset (again) for not loving it. The dry leaf was already weak and after steeping it is...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 293 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

A blend of black teas from China, Sri Lanka, and India flavored with bergamot, citrus fruit, and flower petals. Kusmi’s oldest blend, Tsar Nicolas II regularly drank Bouquet of Flowers N°108 right up until the Russian revolution. This unique blend was created in 1880.

Tasting advice: delicious plain or sweetened

TEA PROFILE
Origin: China and Ceylon
Main flavor: citrus with a floral note
Quantity needed: 0,1 oz.

PREPARATION
Time of day: afternoon
Ideal water temperature: 185°F – 195°F
Recommended brewing time: 3-4 minutes

About Kusmi Tea View company

Free sample from Kusmi! yay!

First off, I don’t love Earl Grey. Never did. But this has a floral taste that kind of overpowers the actual taste of tea, so the Earl Grey is more of a sideshow than the main event. It also leaves a sort of floral aftertaste, which is a little weird. Like eating flowers. But they were certainly spot-on with the name of this one.

Also, I’ve never seen one of Kusmi’s tea bags, but I love them. They’re little fabric bags, kind of like cheesecloth, which allows the tea to expand without getting crushed. So it’s almost like using loose leaves, but without having to clean up afterward. Bonus!

It claims to be “Earl Grey with citrus fruits and flower petals”. It tastes like an oddly spiced soup with lemon. Not at all like tea. I’m almost getting a hint of mushroom… an oddly savoury beverage. Not really my bag.

Just like the name suggests, it’s a floral extravaganza. Earl Grey x 10.

Violet is the predominant flower in this blend, not lavendar. Which is why it evokes strong opinion as violet is a taste you either hate or love. Think C Howards Violet Candies … the light purple squares in the dark purple foil wrap that was super popular in the 70’s. I’ve come to notice that many Kusmi teas have candy like essences. Anastasia in particular smells like green Life Savers.

As far as Bouquet #108: It has a strong violet scent in the tin that relaxes when brewed. It is not a strong tea by any means but definitely distinct. If the violet is intriguing but you find it a bit much, try blending it 50/50 with your favorite Earl grey before steeping. You’ll still get some of the floral bouquet, and as I’m drinking a cup right now I find it very tasty that way.

As with most Kusmi Russian blends, the black teas used are of a good quality, and have characteristics that stand up well to flavoring.

Not as “everyday” as their Anastasia blend, but still worth having a quantity on hand for a change of pace every once in a while.

Grade: O.P. (Orange Pekoe)
Finally I’m going to taste and smell Tsar Nicholas II’s tea, it has always sounded exciting and special to me. The dry leaf smells very citrusy, to be more exact they smell of bergamot and lime, perhaps also something a little sweeter. Maybe it’s mandarine.
The tea itself also shines through, which I like, overpowering teas are so vulgar and non-exciting, so I’m glad that some tea-fragrance is noticeable in this tea. I don’t know exactly which flowers there are in it, but there are lots of it. Maybe the flowers are lavender and ylang ylang, it’s not rosy in any way. After the tea’s done steeping I’m going to find out, if Tsar Nicholas II had taste for tea, hopefully he had.

Well, strangely though, all the remarkable aromas of the dry leaves, simply doesn’t translate into the brewed tea, you can’t smell any of the essential aromas, it just smells of black tea. Almost. For me, it isn’t negative that a tea has subtle flavourings, I like it even better when they have. Teas just needs to have a hint of flavouring, if you ask me.

The taste of the liquid tea is not that subtle, here the citrusness and the floweryness, is quite noticeable, especially all the flowers, but the citrus is also there, adding exiting flavors to the tea. It has a tiny bit of bitterness, but it is a light tea, lighter than their Russian Morning #24, and lighter than their Anastasia. The color is quite dark, even though it’s a light tea, with a body between light and medium. Goes well with milk too!
Bouquet of Flowers #108 is one of the best teas I have tasted, and it’s just great, great, great. Must buy a 125g later on.
Tsar Nicholas II had taste for tea, obviously.

Overview:

Appearance: Extremely long black tea leaves.
Dry tea-smell: Bergamot, lime and flowers. Ylang ylang, lavender and a tiny bit of black tea.
Color: Reddish-brown
Brewed tea-smell: Aromatic black tea and a tiny flower/citrus smell.
Taste: Slightly bitter black tea, but still light. Bergamot, lime and flowers like ylang ylang and lavender.

I like it – it is quite pleasant. Not over the top wow good but very solid. The flavors are subtle – the bergamot/citrus is muted but there.

First off, this one has a very strange mouthfeel…almost gritty and astringent at the same time. I find it quite unappealing, truthfully, and it makes it hard to focus on the flavours.

Once I set aside the odd feeling there’s definitely some floral (dusty rose-esque) hints toward the front and a bit of bergamot on the end with a solid enough black base that pops up at odd moments.

As far as an Earl Grey goes – and that’s really how I’m considering this, given the black/bergamot pairing – I’ve definitely had better. The mouthfeel is this tea’s greatest detractor, IMO, and it’s enough to keep me from coming back for antoher cup.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
sherapop

I just received the Russian blends set in the mail—only today! I was trying to figure out what the scent of the flowers was in this one… It is not exactly roses—at least not to my nose!

4th Russian blend from NYC friends.

Floral but the citrus hid in the background. A little bit of sweetener brought the citrus out a little, but not enough to counteract the floral taste.

Lifting the leaves out of its packaging was probably the highlight of this cup. Dainty flowers laced with a hint of bergamot and greener leaves. However, in drinking this tea you’re left with a neither here-nor-there feeling. Not enough “Earl Greyness” to be a good Earl Grey, and not enough floral aroma after brewing. Not a bad cup, mind you, but it left me in want of something stronger or more well balanced.

Kinda bland and really just doesn’t do much for me, so many others I prefer.