Bouquet of Flowers No. 108

Black Fruit Blend
Bergamot, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Black Tea, Indian Black Tea, Mandarin Orange, Orange Flavoring
Flowers, Floral, Tannin, Tea, Ash, Bergamot, Violet, Orange
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

• “I wish my postman would fill out the 'from' field when he gives me that little notice about a package to pick up on the post office. There's one there now, waiting for me to pick it up on saturday....” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1298 tasting notes
  • “Thank you *Dinosara* for this sample. I open the tin wondering what will be on the other side to greet me, lets just say I was happy as to what greeted me. Small black chopped tea leaves that...” Read full tasting note
    KittyLovesTea 1137 tasting notes
  • “This is not a popular tea. Nevertheless, I it's been on my shopping list for years because I love bergamot and I love florals. I recently bought a pack of sample tins from Kusmi (the "Russian" set)...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 2006 tasting notes
  • “If this tea was a lipton bagged tea I would have said ...nothing... This is a Kusmi tea and I am almost upset (again) for not loving it. The dry leaf was already weak and after steeping it is...” Read full tasting note
    Ysaurella 378 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

A blend of black teas from China, Sri Lanka, and India flavored with bergamot, citrus fruit, and flower petals. Kusmi’s oldest blend, Tsar Nicolas II regularly drank Bouquet of Flowers N°108 right up until the Russian revolution. This unique blend was created in 1880.

Tasting advice: delicious plain or sweetened

TEA PROFILE
Origin: China and Ceylon
Main flavor: citrus with a floral note
Quantity needed: 0,1 oz.

PREPARATION
Time of day: afternoon
Ideal water temperature: 185°F – 195°F
Recommended brewing time: 3-4 minutes

About Kusmi Tea View company

Free sample from Kusmi! yay!

First off, I don’t love Earl Grey. Never did. But this has a floral taste that kind of overpowers the actual taste of tea, so the Earl Grey is more of a sideshow than the main event. It also leaves a sort of floral aftertaste, which is a little weird. Like eating flowers. But they were certainly spot-on with the name of this one.

Also, I’ve never seen one of Kusmi’s tea bags, but I love them. They’re little fabric bags, kind of like cheesecloth, which allows the tea to expand without getting crushed. So it’s almost like using loose leaves, but without having to clean up afterward. Bonus!

It claims to be “Earl Grey with citrus fruits and flower petals”. It tastes like an oddly spiced soup with lemon. Not at all like tea. I’m almost getting a hint of mushroom… an oddly savoury beverage. Not really my bag.

Just like the name suggests, it’s a floral extravaganza. Earl Grey x 10.

Violet is the predominant flower in this blend, not lavendar. Which is why it evokes strong opinion as violet is a taste you either hate or love. Think C Howards Violet Candies … the light purple squares in the dark purple foil wrap that was super popular in the 70’s. I’ve come to notice that many Kusmi teas have candy like essences. Anastasia in particular smells like green Life Savers.

As far as Bouquet #108: It has a strong violet scent in the tin that relaxes when brewed. It is not a strong tea by any means but definitely distinct. If the violet is intriguing but you find it a bit much, try blending it 50/50 with your favorite Earl grey before steeping. You’ll still get some of the floral bouquet, and as I’m drinking a cup right now I find it very tasty that way.

As with most Kusmi Russian blends, the black teas used are of a good quality, and have characteristics that stand up well to flavoring.

Not as “everyday” as their Anastasia blend, but still worth having a quantity on hand for a change of pace every once in a while.

Grade: O.P. (Orange Pekoe)
Finally I’m going to taste and smell Tsar Nicholas II’s tea, it has always sounded exciting and special to me. The dry leaf smells very citrusy, to be more exact they smell of bergamot and lime, perhaps also something a little sweeter. Maybe it’s mandarine.
The tea itself also shines through, which I like, overpowering teas are so vulgar and non-exciting, so I’m glad that some tea-fragrance is noticeable in this tea. I don’t know exactly which flowers there are in it, but there are lots of it. Maybe the flowers are lavender and ylang ylang, it’s not rosy in any way. After the tea’s done steeping I’m going to find out, if Tsar Nicholas II had taste for tea, hopefully he had.

Well, strangely though, all the remarkable aromas of the dry leaves, simply doesn’t translate into the brewed tea, you can’t smell any of the essential aromas, it just smells of black tea. Almost. For me, it isn’t negative that a tea has subtle flavourings, I like it even better when they have. Teas just needs to have a hint of flavouring, if you ask me.

The taste of the liquid tea is not that subtle, here the citrusness and the floweryness, is quite noticeable, especially all the flowers, but the citrus is also there, adding exiting flavors to the tea. It has a tiny bit of bitterness, but it is a light tea, lighter than their Russian Morning #24, and lighter than their Anastasia. The color is quite dark, even though it’s a light tea, with a body between light and medium. Goes well with milk too!
Bouquet of Flowers #108 is one of the best teas I have tasted, and it’s just great, great, great. Must buy a 125g later on.
Tsar Nicholas II had taste for tea, obviously.

Overview:

Appearance: Extremely long black tea leaves.
Dry tea-smell: Bergamot, lime and flowers. Ylang ylang, lavender and a tiny bit of black tea.
Color: Reddish-brown
Brewed tea-smell: Aromatic black tea and a tiny flower/citrus smell.
Taste: Slightly bitter black tea, but still light. Bergamot, lime and flowers like ylang ylang and lavender.

I like it – it is quite pleasant. Not over the top wow good but very solid. The flavors are subtle – the bergamot/citrus is muted but there.

It has been a week and a half of sample cleanup for me. For a bit in August I wasn’t drinking a lot of tea and when I was I was only drinking my favorites. I was just in that funk of not wanting to try anything new. I am back to wanting to give a few new things a try and this is one that I gave a whirl today.

This isn’t my favorite kusmi tea that I have tried, but it is okay. I will say that I am pretty sure I oversteeped this puppy. A co-worker came into talk when I had just put my infuser in my cup. It had a beramont, floral taste to the tea, but for me the floral took over for me. This is one I am glad I got to try, but not one I need to buy.

Thank you Cameron B for allowing me to try quite a few of the Kusmi teas.

Picked this almost automatically the last couple of days in the afternoon…nothing special, but at the same time it´s easy going, the weather being bad outside and you want to get something hot while getting on with all the other work. And if somebody calls or you need to go to another room for a moment, the tea won´t be ruined. I´m not sure I want to buy more of this when the tin ´ll be empty…wait and see.

Flavors: Floral

Backlog 11/67

I think Cameron B sent this one. This had a nice floral taste on top of a tannic tea.
I don’t think I can say I love this tea, but it wasn’t bad. It just tasted like tea and flowers. The smell was mild, but the flower taste was stronger with a bit of sugar.

Overall not bad? But not something I’d go hunting for. Thanks for the taste Cam!

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Tannin, Tea

Cameron B. inspired me to revisit this tea. Time flies, taste buds change…
i used to mix this tea with Earl Grey Polish blend N° 18 just to finish it. Polish is gone, BdF still have it. What bothered me is ashy note, not smoke, i love smoky tea. I’m not huge fan of floral teas. here are some lilacs, violets. but floral+ ash. And bergamot is very subtle here for me. Still not my cup of tea.

Flavors: Ash, Bergamot, Flowers, Violet

Cameron B.

See I’m totes crazy. ;) To be fair, I don’t have any experience with smoky teas so I guess I can’t tell the difference.

Cameron B.

By the way, how is the Polish Blend? The addition of lime intrigues me.

boychik

Stop it. We all have diff taste buds. Polish blend wasn’t bad at all. Kinda refreshing because of lime, not heavy. I finished the tin and it says a lot. Without swapping ( I wasn’t on Steepster at that time, probably 2-3 yrs ago). If you ever in city you can go to their shop on 3rd Av. At least you can smell everything. If I had it I would send you a sample. Btw do you know you can refill a tin in a shop and tea is cheaper by couple dollars.

Cameron B.

Yeah I’ve been here a few months and I haven’t gone to New York City yet, but I did see that they have a store there. Do they make samples at the stores? They have the refill option on their website for some of the teas – they just sent it to you in a bag instead of a tin and it’s a bit cheaper. Nice. :)