Bouquet of Flowers No. 108

Black Fruit Blend
Bergamot, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Black Tea, Flowers, Indian Black Tea, Lemon, Lime, Mandarin Orange, Orange
Baked Bread, Bergamot, Citrus, Lavender, Lemon, Lime, Malt, Sweet, Violet, Wood, Licorice, Flowers, Floral, Tannin, Tea, Ash, Orange, Red Fruits, Rose
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet, Tea Bag
Medium
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Teatotaler

From Kusmi Tea

A blend of black teas from China, Sri Lanka, and India flavored with bergamot, citrus fruit, and flower petals. Kusmi’s oldest blend, Tsar Nicolas II regularly drank Bouquet of Flowers N°108 right up until the Russian revolution. This unique blend was created in 1880.

Tasting advice: delicious plain or sweetened

TEA PROFILE
Origin: China and Ceylon
Main flavor: citrus with a floral note
Quantity needed: 0,1 oz.

PREPARATION
Time of day: afternoon
Ideal water temperature: 185°F – 195°F
Recommended brewing time: 3-4 minutes

About Kusmi Tea View company

Free sample from Kusmi! yay!

First off, I don’t love Earl Grey. Never did. But this has a floral taste that kind of overpowers the actual taste of tea, so the Earl Grey is more of a sideshow than the main event. It also leaves a sort of floral aftertaste, which is a little weird. Like eating flowers. But they were certainly spot-on with the name of this one.

Also, I’ve never seen one of Kusmi’s tea bags, but I love them. They’re little fabric bags, kind of like cheesecloth, which allows the tea to expand without getting crushed. So it’s almost like using loose leaves, but without having to clean up afterward. Bonus!

It claims to be “Earl Grey with citrus fruits and flower petals”. It tastes like an oddly spiced soup with lemon. Not at all like tea. I’m almost getting a hint of mushroom… an oddly savoury beverage. Not really my bag.

Just like the name suggests, it’s a floral extravaganza. Earl Grey x 10.

Violet is the predominant flower in this blend, not lavendar. Which is why it evokes strong opinion as violet is a taste you either hate or love. Think C Howards Violet Candies … the light purple squares in the dark purple foil wrap that was super popular in the 70’s. I’ve come to notice that many Kusmi teas have candy like essences. Anastasia in particular smells like green Life Savers.

As far as Bouquet #108: It has a strong violet scent in the tin that relaxes when brewed. It is not a strong tea by any means but definitely distinct. If the violet is intriguing but you find it a bit much, try blending it 50/50 with your favorite Earl grey before steeping. You’ll still get some of the floral bouquet, and as I’m drinking a cup right now I find it very tasty that way.

As with most Kusmi Russian blends, the black teas used are of a good quality, and have characteristics that stand up well to flavoring.

Not as “everyday” as their Anastasia blend, but still worth having a quantity on hand for a change of pace every once in a while.

Grade: O.P. (Orange Pekoe)
Finally I’m going to taste and smell Tsar Nicholas II’s tea, it has always sounded exciting and special to me. The dry leaf smells very citrusy, to be more exact they smell of bergamot and lime, perhaps also something a little sweeter. Maybe it’s mandarine.
The tea itself also shines through, which I like, overpowering teas are so vulgar and non-exciting, so I’m glad that some tea-fragrance is noticeable in this tea. I don’t know exactly which flowers there are in it, but there are lots of it. Maybe the flowers are lavender and ylang ylang, it’s not rosy in any way. After the tea’s done steeping I’m going to find out, if Tsar Nicholas II had taste for tea, hopefully he had.

Well, strangely though, all the remarkable aromas of the dry leaves, simply doesn’t translate into the brewed tea, you can’t smell any of the essential aromas, it just smells of black tea. Almost. For me, it isn’t negative that a tea has subtle flavourings, I like it even better when they have. Teas just needs to have a hint of flavouring, if you ask me.

The taste of the liquid tea is not that subtle, here the citrusness and the floweryness, is quite noticeable, especially all the flowers, but the citrus is also there, adding exiting flavors to the tea. It has a tiny bit of bitterness, but it is a light tea, lighter than their Russian Morning #24, and lighter than their Anastasia. The color is quite dark, even though it’s a light tea, with a body between light and medium. Goes well with milk too!
Bouquet of Flowers #108 is one of the best teas I have tasted, and it’s just great, great, great. Must buy a 125g later on.
Tsar Nicholas II had taste for tea, obviously.

Overview:

Appearance: Extremely long black tea leaves.
Dry tea-smell: Bergamot, lime and flowers. Ylang ylang, lavender and a tiny bit of black tea.
Color: Reddish-brown
Brewed tea-smell: Aromatic black tea and a tiny flower/citrus smell.
Taste: Slightly bitter black tea, but still light. Bergamot, lime and flowers like ylang ylang and lavender.

I like it – it is quite pleasant. Not over the top wow good but very solid. The flavors are subtle – the bergamot/citrus is muted but there.

Classic tea. Bouquet of Flowers No. 108, created in 1880 by Pavel Kousmishoff in St. Petersburg, Russia to celebrate the birth of his daughter, Elizabeth, is Kusmi Tea’s oldest blend. It was the favorite tea of Tsar Nicholas II. Fast forward 136 years later and 7000 miles west to a Russian tea lover in Richmond, Virginia, USA. It is a sunny springtime Sunday afternoon and I am feeling a bit nostalgic today. April in Virginia is glorious! Drinking Bouquet of Flowers just seems right as I gaze thankfully into the garden at my flowers that survived last night’s frost – Hopefully our last! I think that the odd spring cold snap must have put me in the mood for something Russian.

I love all things floral and I especially love floral teas. A brazen, unapologetic floral fiend I am! That said, I honestly think that many folks with floral fears in regard to tea might just find this tea to be quite acceptable.

The dry leaf smells mostly of lavender, and there is a hauntingly pleasant woody scent that calls to my mind the smell of an old antiques shop or, perhaps, the library of an old English country estate. That kind of woody scent. There is a bit of spicey sweetness in the fragrance that lingered into the three minute steep.

Flavor wise, the tea base of Ceylonese, Chinese and Indian tea creates a very smooth base, with a pleasant bit of bread and malt, along with the woody note. The main floral note is lavender, but it is not overwhelming or perfumey. I also detected a hint of sweet violet. The citrus components from the bergamot, mandarin, lemon and lime work very well to keep the floral components in check.

This is a tea of masterful synchronicity. Everything comes together just right to produce the classic cup of Imperial Russian tea. It makes a fabulous afternoon tea – Great with sweets! The fact that Bouquet of Flowers No. 108 has been around for over 130 years says something. I am surprised that this tea is not more highly rated. As far as I’m concerned, if it was good enough for Tsar Nicholas II it is certainly good enough for little old me.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Bergamot, Citrus, Lavender, Lemon, Lime, Malt, Sweet, Violet, Wood

Whiteantlers

As a person with floral fears in regard to tea, I loved this review! Thank you.

Teatotaler

Thank you, Whiteantlers! I’d bet that this antique tea would compliment your antique European tea ware beautifully! :)

Whiteantlers

You’re right, and I am going to acquire some. I tip my hat to your masterful enabling. :)

ashmanra

I need this tea.

Teatotaler

I’m running dangerously low on this and plan to order some myself, otherwise I would gladly send some samples your way, Whiteantlers and Ashmanra. it just so happens that Kusmi is having a 20% off sale this week on all orders of $35.00 and over. That’s a perfect excuse for me to pick up some of their Samovar blend too – I’ve been dying to try it!
Ashmanra, I really enjoy reading about your tea parties!

Whiteantlers

Teatotaler, I am making that purchase this and appreciate you letting us know about the nice discount. As for your love of traveling, please know you are always welcome to have tea and good food with me if you are in Philadelphia. :)

Teatotaler

I will definitely do that, Whiteantlers – Thank you! I would like to extend the same invitation to you if you are ever in Richmond. :)

Whiteantlers

That’s very kind and I would be delighted to call on you if I am there! :)

ashmanra

I looked at A Southern Season yesterday and they only had one Kusmi tea left. Just one tin. And it looks like they have greatly reduced their stock of teas. Sad! I guess it will have to be a mail order! The Violet tea has me intrigued. Thanks for the sale tip!

Teatotaler

My pleasure, Ashmanra. Kusmi’s Violet is a splendid tea! Positively splendid – Like drinking violet candy!

Rarely do I go for floral teas, so I surprised myself by craving one this evening. Decided to give this a go and was sorely disappointed. This tastes almost exactly like sugar coated fennel seeds which, unfortunately for me, tastes like sweet black licorice. It was so unexpected I went and double checked that I’d grabbed the right tea bag—twice! On the bright side, I have had worse teas when it comes to black licorice, but it really wasn’t what I was expecting. Towards the middle of the cup some lemon came out and the aftertaste even contained a bit of a velvety floral note. This definitely improved as it cooled. Still not a winner for me.

Flavors: Licorice

Sipdown! (26/330)

This came to me from KittyLovesTea – thanks, Kayleigh!

I’ve had this for quite a while now, but it didn’t excite me enough to write up a tasting note right away. I was craving earl grey this morning, and I need to get back on my sipdowns, so this was a good choice. The base is brisk and slightly astringent when drank plain, but perfect for a breakfast tea when sweetener and a splash of milk is added. I love a strong cup of tea in the morning. The scent of this tea is kinda muddled, and this was reflected in the flavours. The predominant note is bergamot, with indistinct citrus and indistinct floral notes in the background, although interestingly I think the floral notes longer longest, with something which is probably rose being the main aftertaste.

I really enjoyed this as a breakfast tea, despite the recommendation to drink it in the afternoon! Thanks again, Kitty.

Boiling 2 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 7 OZ / 207 ML

There’s something there that I can’t pin down. It’s not obviously jasmine or osmanthus.

Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML