Spicy Chocolate

Chinese Black Tea, Chocolate Flavor, Spices
Chocolate, Spices, Cloves
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Tea of the afternoon here. I am not having a stellar day. I went to occupational therapy this morning for my hands/wrist which was good, but then my arm and shoulder have been really bothering me...” Read full tasting note
    amyoh2 2306 tasting notes
  • “This one is going in the TTB (take 2) box that will be sent to Jason tomorrow THANKS TO AMAZONV!!!! She told me I could sample it before sending off! Woot! Thanks girl! It smells like a...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Yes. I approve! Also, this is really especially good if you take a sip of it right after taking a bite out of a chocolate bar. I suspect this is a secret that applies to ALMOST every tea. But...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1617 tasting notes
  • “Finishing and decupboarding this one today. It remains my favorite among the Kusmi chocolates, but the Kusmi chocolates remain not my favorite Kusmis as subtlety and chocolate do not go together in...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 951 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Black tea from China flavored with natural essences of chocolate and spices.

About Kusmi Tea View company

This tea has a pleasant chocolate smell, and I like the spicy taste, but I like it even better with just a little bit of spiced honey in it. mmmmmm

Actually, I was quite afraid of how this tea would turn out, so the first sip was a “delicate” moment, but it tasted alright. Spicy (in the sense of the Xmas teas) whereas the chocolate blends everything well together, without giving it too much sweetness or bitterness. Very forgiving as well when leaving the cup to cool down a bit…

Flavors: Chocolate, Spices

I’m going to stop drinking the Kusmi teas for awhile because every time I open the little tin, they smell amazing, but after steeping, there’s not much aroma, and not much overall flavor. Maybe these need to be sweetened to bring out more flavor. I will try that next.

I do think that if something is called “Spicy Chocolate”, then it should taste like chocolate which is also spicy. When I saw this tin, I had visions of either a chocolate chai or a chili chocolate bar kind of flavor. But no.

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
whatshesaid

When I first started experimenting with lots of new teas, I was disappointed by Kusmi. 6 months later I came back around and now a year later I really appreciate the subtle flavoring and smooth base vs the overpowering chemical flavoring some other companies use.

Caramel and St Petersburg and the chocolate orange mate energy one (I forget the name) are my favorites.

Maybe come back to them later and see how you feel!

Sarsonator

Absolutely! Do you sweeten them or do anything differently with your brewing?

I am going to try the four red fruits again today with a little rock sugar, just to see how that goes. If there’s no improvement for me, I will put these aside, play with other teas, and go back later. :)

whatshesaid

I don’t sweeten them but I don’t sweeten anything anymore…however when I first got my Kusmi teas I was drinking a lot of DellaTerra and Davidstea sweet dessert blends, so Kusmi tasted very pale and dull in comparison.

Now I find I’m a lot more sensitive to sugar and additives in that the sweet dessert teas have become too much for me and I prefer something subtler… But sweetening would definitely help bring out the flavours!

Sarsonator

Thanks for the comments! I think my taste buds just need some time. Right now, when I taste a flavored tea, I think they expect to taste the fruit, spice, etc, but I think they’re also programmed for sweetness. Hopefully that will pass, but for now, I think I’ll lightly sweeten, if needed.

I don’t think I ever sweeten unflavored teas anymore, but I just added a little to my Tao of Tea Black Mango this AM and it’s much better. The mango definitely shows up to play now. I’ll try using a little less each time, until my taste buds stop being little whiney babies screaming for sugar! :p

boychik

i would try steeping in milk(almond,coconut, any) sweeten and see if flavors will come out. i bet it will

Sarsonator

I don’t drink cow milk, but I could try with almond or soy milk. You just heat the milk to the same temp as you would heat water and then steep the tea in that? Never tried that before, but I’m willing to give it a shot! Thanks!

Skulleigh

I generally drink the black Kusmi teas as lattes, and quite enjoy the Russian ones that way. They do tend to kind of blend together (in that I can’t tell much difference between all the essentially Earl Grey variations they have) except Prince Vladimir, which is my favorite. I loathe their Energy tea though. It tastes like an ashtray, bleargh.

Euphoria, that’s the one I love. First one I fell for, actually

boychik

I would simmer it gently in milk for maybe 5 min, maybe more. Terri does it in crockpot for several hrs. It needs sugar too to bring out the flavors( or maple syrup, any sweetener of you choice)

Sarsonator

Thanks for all the suggestions! I am off work tomorrow, so I’ll try this in the AM!

whatshesaid

I will have to try this too!

Sarsonator

I got distracted with other teas, but I did finally try this one gently simmered in almond milk instead of water. I added some rock sugar, too. It was better, but I still wasn’t getting any chocolate flavors. Just a nice tea flavor. I tried it with the usual tea amounts, and even ended up adding more tea hoping to bring out the flavors. Oh well! It was worth a shot!

This blend from Kusmi is more about spices—above all, clove, at least to my palate and nose— than chocolate. In fact, it veers near Constant Comment territory, so strong is the spiciness! The scent of the dried tea is high redolent of chocolate, so I have to confess that I was a bit disappointed with the final brew, which I prepared super-strong, as I prefer my flavored black teas with cream.

The liquor is dark red, and the nerve-impinging clove (though I do own that I am quite sensitive to that note—both in consumables and in perfume), made this a less than fantastic tea experience for me. It was not bad, but it was not the chocolate dream I was looking forward to on this drizzly “we have no spring in Boston” day.

I have a lot more of this tea on hand, so I’ll probably experiment with some mixtures. Perhaps I need to combine this one half and half with the Kusmi straight chocolate-scented tea?

Flavors: Cloves

Boiling 5 min, 15 sec 3 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML
Dexter

I would definitely experiment with adding it to just chocolate scented tea. Depending on how strong the spice was and how strong you would prefer it. I agree with starting half and half, then adjust to your tastes. Good luck. :))

sherapop

Thanks, Dexter3657! I am very sensitive to clove, so I need to make adjustments accordingly…

Another tea from a swap with VariaTEA! :D

The name of this tea threw me off a little. I was reading spicy as hot, not spices. Chai like, got it! The scent of this reminds me a bit of Zhi Tea’s Cacao Chai, which I love so much! It tastes very similar too, but like a lighter more mellow version. There is a tiny bitterness in the start of the sip that quickly gives way to smoothness. Maybe I should have done a shorter steep? The aftertaste is nothing but spices!
This tea is really nice and if I didn’t already have something similar in my cupboard already, I’d be contemplating it as an addition.

VariaTEA

I am glad you enjoyed it :)

I got a sample of this from VariaTEA. Thank you!

This tea surprised me with pretty unusual spicy notes. Very unlike the ones one usually finds in a chai. The spiciness was somewhat perfumey, and I liked that. I didn’t detect much chocolate here, however, but it’s weird to think of my expectations of chocolate flavoring in tea – because they are rarely satisfied :D

The base tea was neither weak nor strong, I didn’t notice it much when sipping, but I think my body has received a nice boost, so this cup was perfect to start the day with!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Dustin

I just finished a cup of this courtesy of VariaTEA too!

TeaBrat

one of my favorites from kusmi…

Wow, this one is good. Like really really good. I love chocolate teas, and I was expecting this one to be overwhelmingly spicy, like chai spicy. Instead, it’s a smooth and creamy cup with a wonderfully rich chocolate flavor. The spices are barely there – just enough to leave me wondering what spices they are. They’re sweet spices, (maybe cinnamon is one of them?), nothing too strong or peppery. The tea tastes like taking a bite of a milk chocolate bar. Not even a cup of hot chocolate – it’s straight up like eating the real thing. I’m always impressed with Kusmi teas, but this one really wowed me! Conicidentally, I took my nursing 112 final yesterday and today is the first day of spring break. It’s off to a good start with this tea! Thank you, VariaTEA, for this sample!

-Dry blend has medium black tea leaves and twigs with small pieces of spices.
-Dry leaves smell like milk chocolate. Tea liquor aroma is of rich, sweet chocolate.
-Tea liquor is a clear medium yellow brown color.
-Sweet chocolate flavor and finish. Sweetly spicy aftertaste that lingers.
-Best with milk and sweetener.
-Excellent tea. A cup of rich, creamy chocolate with a small hint of sweet spices. Reminiscent of a milk chocolate candy bar.

TeaBrat

This is my favorite thing from Kusmi so far.

__Morgana__

Congrats on the final!

VariaTEA

Yay for Spring Break and good teas!! I am glad you liked this one :)

pyarkaaloo

amazing review. this sounds like an exquisite tea. i’ve been let down by a lot of chocolate teas of late due to their ‘thinness’ and the chocolate not being a proper component of the flavor so much as the aroma. from ur description, i imagine i would love this one.

also- happy spring break, good luck on the final & props to you for doing nursing- that’s really impressive!

Josie Jade

Thanks everyone!

pyarkaaloo, this one is definitely not thin in flavor at all. A perfect chocolate tea!

I’ve tasted this one because it was included in a set of mini boxes. I was neither convinced by the contents (chocolate ? spices ?…when you only drink flowers and fruits, that’s weird) but I was pleasantly surprised by the taste.
And I can’t imagine to have a tea with chocolate and no spices, now ! The two are as great as chocolate with piment d’espelette.

Finally a tea from Kusmi that I actually like. Generally, I find the Kusmi flavored teas so subtle that I am disappointed. This one I could actually smell the chocolate and spice dry and could actually taste the flavors brewed as well. I always enjoy chocolate black tea, but this one has an interesting twist with the flavors of spice. Nice and smooth to drink as well. It is snowing outside and this tea is perfect as drink it right now in this wintery weather.

This tea is good, but in ways could be better. I feel like the chocolate doesn’t blend as well with the spices as it could… Its still good, but if the spice blend were a little smoother, the tea would work better. Overall, still a good tea, but not one I’d re-purchase at full price.