Almond Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea, Natural Almond Flavor
Almond, Green, Marzipan, Vegetal
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “This tea is so forgiving! I accidentally left the leaves in the water for a little longer than I intended since I was cooking! It still tastes good! After this, I have enough leaves left for one...” Read full tasting note
    oOTeaOo 1591 tasting notes
  • “So this is pretty cool. The leaves smell strongly of marzipan (and a little mint but I think that's because it was in the sampler tube with the spearmint green sampler) but post-brewing, that...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “VariaTEA was thoughtful enough to send me this sample, thank you much! this tea has outsmarted me tonight, lol. now, i was fiddling with it trying to sort out the steeping time without searching...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes
  • “I had a cup of this last night and another tonight. Thanks *VariaTEA* for sending me this sample. Decent green tea base, it's a bit grassy/vegital but not bitter. I'm getting some nutty/sweet...” Read full tasting note
    Dexter 729 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Green tea from China flavored with natural essences of almond.

TEA PROFILE PREPARATION
Origin: China
Time of day: afternoon
Main flavor: gourmand with herbaceous note
Ideal water temperature: 70°C
Quantity needed: 0,1 oz.
Recommended brewing time: 3-4 min

Stimulant Factor: 1/3
Anti-oxidant Factor: 2/3

About Kusmi Tea View company

This tea has an alarming almond aroma (alarming in a good way, almost divine). Every time I open the tin I am inspired to bake almond infused cakes and cookies. I call this tea my gateway tea… only it leads me to fiend for pastries. Parties and more tea. :)

Now does a 69 mean it’s a very good tea =P

Alicia

I am not sure this even merits a reply…

Ricky

Sorry for the confusion, basically I was mainly wondering what your ratings meant. Your 69 might not mean the same thing as mine. For me a tea in 60-69 means I liked it, but I wouldn’t purchase again. A tea above 70 would mean I’d consider purchasing it again.

Alicia

LOL I like this tea and if it found its way to my table, I wouldn’t turn it away. However, no I don’t think I would purchase it again. While I drink green teas I tend to favor black teas more… but dislike their nature to stain teeth over time… oh vanity. :)

Ricky

Ha, thanks for clearing up the confusion =] Now I understand a bit more about the rest of your ratings =P

I was surprised by this tea. Eventho I cannot pick out much of an almond type taste I know what I like and I like this tea.

I can taste a sweetness to it but not a nutty flavor. The nose almost has a florally-mint to it but not quite.

Regardless it’s tasty.

Bethany

If you haven’t sent my swap yet.. could I possibly get a sample of this? :) I’ve been wanting to try it..

Just picked this up today at a little shop styling itself as a European market. The scent of this tea is definitely sweet marzipan, but the tea is not sweet. It has a hint of almond, with a basic green tea background. Very nice!

Good lord, people. I have been bound and bleeding determined to get the perfect steep out of this, to get as close as humanly possible to making the delicious scent of this tea match the actual taste of it. I kept getting cups that just weren’t cutting it.

I finally went out and bought a tea thermometer to make sure I had the temperature just right. I’ve also been fiddling with the right steeping device – my regular strainers kept letting bits of tea through that I could never quite strain out, so they kept steeping and soured the cup, but the disposable filters didn’t let the tea expand properly. So this morning I basically combined the best of the two – I tucked an open tea ball (well, an acorn-shaped strainer) into a reusable bamboo filter bag, so the tea could expand without any bits escaping. I put the tea in at 160 degrees and gave it exactly three minutes.

After all that, I’m calling this a success! I’m definitely getting the most almond flavor out of this of any prior steep. It’s still definitely more of a green tea flavor than I was hoping for, given that the scent suggests you’ll be drowning in marzipan. The almond is there, though. I think I just keep expecting that teas will be naturally sweet and then I’m put off when they’re not. Maybe I just need to admit defeat and start adding sugar already.

It pains me to admit the success of this green tea steeping method (open tea ball + reusable filter bag) because it’s such a pain in the butt, but I think it genuinely does allow for the best cup since the leaves get to expand properly but there are no bits left floating around to keep steeping. Green tea, thou art the cruelest mistress!

Wow strong smell !
Nice taste, although the taste of green tea is very faint. Very good with something sweet :)

Wonderful green tea : the smell of the loose tea is pure nostalgy for me, and for once, this is only confirmed when drinking it! Normally green tea can be quite “boring” to me, but the almonds make it fun!

Flavors: Almond, Green

This is the third free sample I received with my Kusmi order, and I was actually kind of excited because I had seen this tea on their website and thought it sounded interesting. Hooray coincidence! The dry leaf in the tea bag smelled delicious – it had a very strong and sweet marzipan or almond paste scent. I brewed it for 3 minutes at 175.

The brewed cup also had a fairly strong marzipan scent, but I could also smell the green base. I added a very small amount of sugar right off the bat because I couldn’t resist with the marzipan flavor. After tasting the fresh brew, I was a little disappointed by how light the almond flavor ended up being. I don’t know what kind of green tea this is, but it tasted pretty mild with a little bit of bitterness. I let the cup cool, trying it every so often, but I was never really satisfied with the level of marzipan flavor. I think I would prefer a more strongly flavored black version of this.

Flavors: Almond, Marzipan, Vegetal

This was ok. The smell was really good, and I can taste the almond, although it’s definitely a mild flavor.

The green tea base is a little grassy, but I guess that’s normal. The almond was enough to balance it. Does this taste like almond grass? Kind of. But I would say the almond is first, then grassy almond mix, then just grass on the finish.

Oddly, it works. I don’t think I would repurchase, but this was pleasant enough.

This Almond Green Tea is another of the flavored greens featured in the Kusmi sample set of mini tins. The base green tea appears to be the same as that used in the Rose Green Tea, so maybe it is green Congou? Not sure. Once again I find that the flavoring is very marked (as in the case of both the rose and the strawberry, which I tried yesterday—though I believe that the base was bancha).

I’m not sure about this combination. I may be so accustomed to drinking my green tea unadulterated that it will take some getting used to before I feel that flavored greens are a good idea. Well, I have the rest of this tin—several pots more—to find out!

The almond flavor is unmistakeable, but I feel as though it has been applied so as to mask, not to complement, the base tea. Maybe these teas are intended for people who do not like green tea?

Almost missed the Almond. The tea base is kind of herb-y..Very light.