Green Tea with Spearmint (Thé Nanah à la menthe)

Green Herbal Blend
Green Tea, Spearmint
Mint, Spearmint, Bitter, Smoke
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

2 Images

From Kusmi Tea

Green tea from China flavored with Nanah mint from Morocco

Tasting advice: delicious plain, sweetened, or iced in summer. This is the tea used in Morocco for the famous mint tea.

Refreshing and thirst-quenching, it is also delicious after meals.

About Kusmi Tea View company

I’m not a big green tea drinker, but I am a sucker for gunpowder green tea + spearmint. Something about the combination of that “vegetable green” taste and mint just soothes me. The low stimulant factor makes it a great nighttime tea too. For two years I purchased Moroccan Mint from Teavana to satisfy my gunpowder green + spearmint cravings. Kusmi included a sample of this in one of my orders and one taste had me hooked. I tossed out the Teavana blend in favor of this and never looked back!

From Teeny tiny TTB2

Whoa, thats minty! Spearminty! Toothpastey! The super minty smell appealed to me to try it, even though I’m more of a peppermint person. It is pretty minty, not enough to feel like you cleaned your teeth, but enough to have a minty taste linger for awhile in your mouth. The smokey gunpowder tea is an interesting contrast. Not bad and very refreshing.

Cameron B.

I like this one best with a 2 minute steep. :)

The weather here in Boston has been rather Morrocan of late, so I figured that this would be a good time to try out Kusmi’s version of Morrocan Mint tea. I have had this small tin for a while, but I usually change my mind upon lifting the lid, as the preponderance of spearmint makes me realize that this is not really a good first green of the day choice—at least not for me.

The appearance of the dried tea reminds me of an old can of Republic of Tea Morrocan Mint. I must never have developed a liking for it, because it eventually became so old that I ended up throwing it away when I moved.

Gunpowder green appears to be the tea, and the mint of course is spearmint. This tastes okay, but it’s not my favorite combination. I should get my hands on some straight-up high-grade gunpowder to see whether I like that tea. In the past, I tried some middling versions with left me with a negative impression of the entire genre.

Flavors: Mint

170 °F / 76 °C 3 min, 0 sec 4 g 17 OZ / 502 ML
mj

My boyfriend just accepted a job in Boston and will be moving there in September, which means I will be visiting from time to time and will probably move there when I graduate (hopefully next year?). So, we might be neighbors sometime in the future :-)

sherapop

mj: Then we can meet for a tea party! ;-)

mj

Oh fun! A tea party :-)

Thank you Cameron B., for sending some of this my way!

I’m usually a fan of Moroccan mint teas so I figured I’d enjoy this. Oh my gosh, is it MINTY! I smelled the mint in the mailbox before I even opened up the package… he he

I steeped up a pot of it this morning in my little red Stump teapot. It definitely looks like a pellet-shaped gunpowder green tea and is a dark yellow in color. I am finding the spearmint in this blend to be a bit overwhelming to say the least. I like Moroccan mint teas where you can taste a bit of the smoky green underneath it and I’m not getting that here. I wonder how this is flavored and could you please tone it down, Kusmi? hee hee.

This seems to be a common theme between Kusmi and I — their flavored teas just seem a bit too flavored for me.

Anyway I tried this plain and then added a bit of sugar, it is good both ways but I do sort of feel like I’m drinking toothpaste. I put the rest in my Lupicia cooler to cold brew, as I’m thinking this would be really nice with tomorrow’s lunch and a few ice cubes might tone it down a bit as well.

Thanks again Cameron, it was fun to swap with you!

Flavors: Spearmint

Cameron B.

I definitely preferred it cold brewed. :D Good luck!

boychik

I mix it with plain gunpowder and sometimes add some peppermint as well. Anyway its good iced.

Yum yum yum! I cold steeped this one for about 12 hours (1 heaping tsp for 8 oz) and it came out very tasty indeed. It’s very refreshingly spearminty – I don’t really taste green tea at all to be honest. I added some syrup because I like my minty things to be a little sweet. This would be amazing after you’ve been outside on a hot day, it’s so cooling and relaxing.

I think I may try this one again with a shorter steep time just to see if I can get a combination of green tea and spearmint flavors, but I am finding it very yummy as is. I’m going to bump up the rating a couple points. :)

Iced 8 min or more 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
sherapop

Great suggestion for iced tea—thanks!

Cameron B.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :D

Voila un thé que j’aime beaucoup mais pas assez pour le prendre sans arrêts . Je l’utilise sous formes de tisane ou bien de thé glacé car l’été approche a grands pas . Ce thé est frais rafraichissant et très agréable a prendre … je vous le recommandent vivement … un bon thé bien frais rien de mieux pour l’été je n’ai pas grands chose a dire sur ce thé mais je l’adore … kiss

This is not my favorite green-mint blend. Kousmi used to have a better one with a stronger mint flavor and pieces of rock sugar mixed in, since the N. African taste is to drink it very sweet. I prefer the spearmint-green blend from TeaGschwedner, which also makes Le Touareg—gunpowder green with peppermint. Extremely strong and addictive!

The dry leaves smell delicious, and a little bit of the tea goes a long way. I love green tea, and the mint flavor was not overpowering like in most minty teas. This tea has the perfect balance between earthy and refreshing.

I love this spearmint tea iced! It is absolutely delicious. I do recommend adding a little bit of sugar and not steeping it for too long. The spearmint smells wonderful and tastes great.

I tried it as a sample in the Kusmi Tea shop (Montreal) and have been addicted ever since.

Green tea usually makes me sick (heart palpitations) but this one seems to be fine.

The box looks lovely, which counts a lot for me!

Great tea, overall. Reminds me of the Moroccan tea I drank a while ago, with fresh mint.

A favorite — minty with a smoky quality.