Green Darjeeling

Green Tea
Flowers, Lemon
Edit tea info Last updated by Auggy

From Kusmi Tea

Delicious plain or sweetened, this subtle tea from the Arya tea garden produces a fresh and remarkably mellow tea. Darjeeling is a favorite with tea lovers.

About Kusmi Tea View company

I had this one a while ago, as broth for soup. It was pretty good. Not a big fan of green teas, so I wouldn’t go out of my way to get it, but not too bad.

It made really good broth for my soup. :)

Shmiracles

happy 500th cup!

OMGsrsly

Thanks! :)

Another café cup of tea, and I think brewed unfairly hot. A generously sized teabag in a mug with water from the cofee machine and it was OK. And actually pretty nice, even brewed that hot it was not bitter.
Not really a tasting note, but just a small note to remind myself this was actually nice and a decent choice.

This is certainly interesting – the closest comparison I can think of is a sencha. It’s vegetative and sweet, but also almost pickled(?) tasting. I’m glad I have another bag to experiment with, because I really haven’t made up my mind here after two steeps.

Soft, floral and far more interesting than many green teas from this area.

Another tea from my assorted selection of teabags (good quality muslin kind) that I bought to brighten up my work day.

Online it’s described as having a floral taste, and yes, maybe slightly. What I noticed, though, from smelling it, was grapefruit. It tastes of grapefruit too, but only lightly. There’s the slight texture of green tea, a stronger texture than black Darjeeling, but not by much.

I have a feeling I’ll be buying this after I’m done with the samples.

I’d like to preface this review by making clear that I’m hardly an expert on straight-up green teas. Anyway, I felt like this tea was just another that made me think “a green tea is a green tea!” I know there’s some pretty different-tasting types on the market, like jasmine and matcha, but this isn’t one of them. It had a strange aroma that reminded me a bit of baking soda combined with dried grass, and the taste was pleasant but not really memorable. I like green tea, so this isn’t a negative review—it’s just one that confesses that I didn’t find this much different to other green teas I’ve had in cafes or bagged supermarket brands. My experiences in those contexts haven’t been negative, but Kusmi is a bit premium, so I guess I would’ve expected that the flavour of this might have something different. It’s very slightly fruity at the beginning, but that aspect was barely noticeable. It had a pretty “Japanese” flavour for some reason, and I think it tastes the same as genmaicha but without the rice bits. That probably sounds stupid, but what I mean is that the tea in this must be the same tea that’s based on. It’s very grassy, though not in a particularly fresh, sweet kind of way, and has a bitter, green aftertaste.

As with other green teas, this really does get bitter when you over steep it. The grassy flavour ends up being a combination of grass and sharp bitterness after maybe 10 minutes (“Who steeps their tea for 10 minutes?!” you ask? I like to try things a number of ways, and tasted it throughout the process, to see what would end up happening). Be mindful of that (even though this is not as easy to do in this case as it usually would be, because the water doesn’t get flavourful for a little while), and perhaps don’t expect this to have an especially unique flavour. It also didn’t really work re-steeping this. There was little flavour on the second steeping and it was a bit like drinking slightly bitter hot water.

I had it unsweetened and without soy milk, which always seems like the only way with plain green teas. It’s that kind of experience.

I’m back from the Bi Rite grocery store in SF. I didn’t buy any wine (good for me) but I bought more tea which I probably don’t need (bad for me!!)

Well, I don’t have any green darjeeling teas so somehow felt I was able to justify this. I’m a little bit underwhelmed by this blend. I was hoping for a lot of flavor but it’s fairly light. It has a nice vegetal sweetness with some floral notes and a definite “bite” at the end which seems sort of citrusy and reminds me of lemon. I really think I need to try cold brewing this, some amazing flavors might come out of the cold brew. For a green tea, it’s ok but now I wish I didn’t have a whole box of it. I should have known better since my experiences with Kusmi have been very hit or miss.

p.s. Review is for the muslin sachets and I got a decent 2nd steep out of this

Flavors: Flowers, Lemon

Queued post, written May 21st 2014

The second green tea today and the second ancient bag. This one was also from Fleurdelily and therefore a couple of… years… old. By a funny coincidence when I posted from the queue this morning that was also a post about a green darjeeling, a much newer one than this one, and having just read that post again, I can totally recognise it in this cup as well.

I’ll take that as a sign that this one carries its age quite well, then. It’s got that lemon pith-y bite to it on top of something that is sort of generically green tea. I shared some of the other green darj (the one I posted about this morning) with MissB who found it apricot-y. I can see what she means with that now. I think it’s mostly lemon pith-y, but I think it’s the same note that we experience slightly differently. I can totally see how it could be apricot-y.

This has a bit of a floral touch as well, which I thought the other one didn’t so much, but that could be differences in the harvests.

TeaBrat

I definitely got the lemon from this!

Angrboda

I wonder if it might be a characteristic of green darj…

Okay, so darjeeling can be black, white, oolong or green, allegedly – this is a green. I find this whole thing somewhat confusing, since darjeelings always seem to be marketed as black teas even when they’re green or oolongy (I’ve never come across a white).

Let me just say how much I love this lounge for stocking Kusmi. I usually pick up a bag of lemon ginger to drink on my flight, and I’m so grateful they have something other than the eternal chamomile-or-EG on offer. (However, I need to figure out if there are any lounges that offer Mariage Frères and then try to weasel my way into one of those.)

This sample bag isn’t very old, but it’s so subtle it might just as well have been ancient, mummified tea. This sounds weird, but if this had had a flavour, it would have been a pretty good flavour. That is, what I detect is very, very, very subtle, but it’s definitely pleasant. Like a nicely vegetal, unflavoured green.

I will definitely pick up another one of these and try again.

[Bag snagged at the CPH lounge, Copenhagen, winter 2013]
[Bag polished off in Rome, February 2014.]

K S

Maybe blasphemy to your normal habits but try adding just a hint of your favorite sweetener. Usually for me this brings all sorts of notes out of hiding.

Anna

It’s not blasphemy, I have frequently considered trying a specific tea with additions, but the problem is that I never have cream or milk at home – and here in Rome I neither have those, nor any sugar. There literally is no form of sweetener in this apartment. :P

Work on a Saturday… yuck. I’m feeling overly tired and a little intimidated by all the work in front of me, so I’m going to my number one work helper — tea! This is the one tea I have not tried yet from my Kusmi sampler. I’m a little sad about diving into the ones I only have one left of so I’m trying it out. I hope it has enough kick to light a fire under me.

So far…. eh…. it’s not blowing me away. It’s an extremely high quality tea, but the flavor is very light. I feel like I can’t really taste it, even after brewing it for longer than recommended. I feel like I’m going to need a little more caffeine than this has to offer. I’d say, if you are a green tea and/or darjeeling fan then try this — it is delicious, just very subtle.