Black Fruit Blend
Bergamot, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Black Tea, Indian Black Tea, Mandarin Orange, Orange Flavoring
Citrus Fruits, Floral, Tea, Bergamot, Tannin, Orange
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Sivasubramanian

2 Images

• “I had a sample tin of this two years ago, in that Russian Blends sample sets, and back then I rather liked this one. But I finished the sample and didn't pay any further attention to it. Untill...” Read full tasting note
    Angrboda 1269 tasting notes
  • “I think I will try another of these Kusmi teas. They have been the victims of changing tastebuds, because there are several Kusmi teas that I used to love (or at least enjoy), and now they are not...” Read full tasting note
    dinosara 1943 tasting notes
  • “*Thank you Will Work For Tea for this Sample!* I know for sure that God is watching over me! I am a dumb woman who almost got herself killed tonight! After the monsoon thunder and lightning...” Read full tasting note
    bonniejohnstone 673 tasting notes
  • “Thank you for this one, *Will Work For Tea*! This is the kind of Earl Grey I could drink plenty of. It's not in your face but it still definitely has the flavor of bergamot. There's additional...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1196 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Blend of black teas from China, India and Ceylon flavored with natural essences of bergamot, orange, and mandarin. Russian blend.

Tasting advice: delicious plain or sweetened

TEA PROFILE
Origin: China, Ceylon and India
Main flavor: citrus with fruity note
Quantity needed: 0,1 oz.

PREPARATION
Time of day: morning
Ideal water temperature: 185°F – 195°F
Recommended brewing time: 3-4 min

About Kusmi Tea View company

When hot Troika reminds me of the Ahmad Tea Special Blend except the base is a little smoother and more forgiving in that it is less likely to get overly bitter if overbrewed. It tastes like a nice lightly flavoured fruity earl grey over a slightly bitter base. For me the sharp citrus of the bergamot was most present at first slightly tempered by the sweeter notes from the orange. As it cooled the orange
became more present for me and sweetend the tea a little. Having said this it is not an overly sweet tea. The orange has a few of the notes from Orangina ( a slightly bitter orange)without it being sweetened. I do get hints of mandarin but more like the taste of tinned mandarin packed in water. The base has a slight natural bitterness which gives the tea some depth. The tea brews up to a nice copper colour. The flavouring is nice and subtle and is suitable for those who prefer a lighter flavouing to their flavoured tea. The base is pleasant enough but not overly complex. It makes a nice afternoon tea.
Thanks Momo for the opportunity to try this tea.

After yesterday’s October Revelation mixture of seven citrus fruits, this seems a modest little tea. Only three citrus fruits here, and I’m expecting to taste orange and maybe a little lemon. Seems like this should really be called Troika times two, as there are two troikas here, the citrus fruits and the black teas. But that wouldn’t sound very Russian.

Bergamot is the main scent of the dry leaves. It opens up after steeping into an orange-laced, somewhat fruity, somewhat biscuity aroma. The tea has a medium amber color. I’m not getting pepper here, which I wondered about since I definitely get that in the Kusmi Earl Grey.

The taste is quite nice. I think I prefer it to the busier flavor of October Revelation. It’s sort of a citrus equivalent to the Kusmi 4 Red Fruits, except that the individual notes are harder to detect, but that may be because they’re all sort of similar flavors to begin with. Though the bergamot was strong in the fragrance of the dry leaf it is not strong here. The tea is smooth and easy on the stomach. The tea underneath the citrus is perky without being darjeelingy if that makes sense. It has a cleanness and a bit of briskness to it.

This is one for the cupboard, I think.

I got a whole tin of this courtesy of Fuzzy_Peachkin. Alas, a third of it ended up on the floor… and my desk… and my pants… The tin got stuck and it took me literally almost an hour to get it open. I ultimately had to dent the side just to get in, and then of course a bunch of it spilled while I was prying the lid off.

Unfortunately, the payoff wasn’t worth the effort. I found this tea pleasantly citrusy (mainly orange) but very one-note. Kind of bland, I guess. Even my dad found it bland and he usually can’t tell one tea from another. I used about 1.5 teaspoons for 8 oz of water. Did I underleaf? Have other people used more/less?

Angrboda

Try it with slightly cooler water. Kusmi is the brand that taught me to brew flavoured at just under boiling. I generally brew it around 90°C same as I would an oolong.

To start, a note about the tin. I could NOT get it open! I got the Russian blend mini-tins and for some reason this one was super sealed. I asked my boyfriend for help opening it and he went into Berserker mode. The tin is destroyed! I’ll have to store this another way. Ah well, at least I get to try it now.

It smells great! I detect more spicy notes than citrus ones. It brews up into a dark brown tea. The taste is wonderful – characteristically smooth like Kusmi’s other black tea blends. The tea is supposed to have the scents of bergamot, orange, and mandarin but I am only tasting the lightest bergamot flavor. Perhaps a more refined palette than mine could detect the citrus. I wish they had included orange peel to enhance the citrus side of the tea.

This makes a wonderful breakfast tea, if you like your teas on the milder side. It’s possible I under-leafed this, too. I’ll have to play around. All in all, this is another solid blend from Kusmi!

This is wonderful with a splash of coconut milk. Yum!

It’s like Anastasia without the lemon note, which means Earl Grey with a kind of orange/mandarin flavour. An elegant tea that goes great with traditional afternoon tea :)

I got a sample of this tea from the Traveling Tea Box. It was good… much sweeter than I expect from an Earl Grey, but I’m sure that’s due to the mandarin and orange. The leaves unfurled to a full size, for the most part, making for a pretty steeping.

The flavor was not as intense as I expect from Earl Greys. I assumed it was because I had used too much water, but in reading the other reviews, I see that it’s just a more subtle tea.

This tea didn’t strike me as anything special the first time I tried it.

Allow me to exercise my right to completely change my mind. I had it again this morning, a sip or two to get myself ready for a hearty breakfast, and it was delicious. Really pleasant citrus notes blending very well with the flavor of the black tea. The flavoring is just right; I can taste the sweetness of the citrus at the very end of my swallow. Very bright and mellow tea, though not by any means light.

I had set my heart on getting a large tin of the Prince Vladimir blend from Kusmi since I was so impressed with that and the St. Petersburg blend, but on this second try the Troika may be just as deserving of a second buy.

Delicious wish english muffins or a nice sourdough toast. Lovely aroma, with nice citrus tones. Perfect for a cool morning.

I just wanted my first act as a Steepster member to rate this excellent tea. We have a small tea room in the city where I live. The proprietress over-ordered on this one month and (amazingly) was kind enough to give me a free tin (she knows how I love to try new teas). I’ll admit my first brewing left me less than impressed. I felt the flavor was a bit artificial, yet I found myself coming back to this tea over and over again. I finally hit on what it was I liked so much. The SMOOTHNESS of this tea. I found myself trying at one point to over-steep it to bring out the tannins and make it bitter, yet the flavor remained smooth and consistent (to my palate at least). After going through several other black tea blends by Kusmi Teas I’ve found this to be a consistent quality with most of their blacks. Maybe its a process, maybe its the quality of the leaf, I’m no expert, I just know that Kusmi Tea produces some of the smoothest drinking tea on the planet. That (I think) is why they are so appealing to many tea drinkers. Since my Troika experience I’ve had many other teas by Kusmi, but this remains my favorite. If you like Earl Grey and Orange but hate tannin, you owe it to yourself to give this a try.

I received this sample from Cameron B. Thank you for sharing!

I really enjoy earl grey esc blends and so I have had an eye on these Kusmi teas for awhile. The reviews have been iffy on them so I was always a little nervous to pull the trigger on a purchase. Cameron. B was nice enough to send me a few tsp of each of the Russian blends. This is a nice earl grey. It has a hint of orange and floral that mellows out the bergmont a bit. I am enjoying this cup this morning.

Cameron B.