Anastasia

Bergamot, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Black Tea, Natural Lemon Flavor
Bitter, Floral, Tea, Bergamot, Lemon, Lime, Orange
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “ I have been absent from Steepster because a large group of people descended upon my home, these people were always needing to be fed, whining about how the shower they took was cold and always...” Read full tasting note
    hesperjune 168 tasting notes
  • “I've been sipping away at this without even thinking! My first day of training got cancelled, nooooo, but I go tomorrow. I went to the mall anyway to confirm my suspicions that I have no idea how...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1199 tasting notes
  • “I had thist tea with lunch and I greatly enjoyed it. The base was fragrant, full-bodied and a little malty.. The addition of a variety of citrus really worked well with the base. I definitely need...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes
  • “I'm beginning to think Kusmi can do no wrong with black teas. This is the 4th I have tried, and it's very good. Latte'd it up today, because it's just one of those days where you're lucky I got out...” Read full tasting note
    Skulleigh 276 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Blend of black teas from China and Ceylon flavored with natural essences of bergamot, lemon, lime and orange blossom. Russian blend.

Tasting advice: delicious plain or sweetened

TEA PROFILE
Origin: China and Ceylon
Main flavor: citrus with a fruity note
Quantity needed: 0,1 oz.

PREPARATION
Time of day: all day
Ideal water temperature: 185°F – 195°F
Recommended brewing time: 3-4 min

About Kusmi Tea View company

There’s nothing better than having a lazy day off. The only way today could’ve been better was if my boyfriend was here. Unfortunately our relationship is currently long-distance, but hopefully we’ll fix that soon.

Anyway, about the tea; quite nice, actually. There’s a sort of familiar taste to it, but I can’t quite pin it down. This is another smooth one.

I also really like how all these teas seem to be different takes on an Earl Grey.

This was a bit of a letdown. Supposedly a lady grey type, except IMO good old cheap lady grey from a teabag is much better – a more interesting balanced flavour (less bergamot I think) and more intense.

Without additives: Lemony. Bergamot. Something that tastes like rosemary or some slightly bitter herb/plant. Not very smooth.
With additives: Slight improvement because I like the taste of milk.
It seems like the flavors just don’t go together with the tea.

Pure bliss. It makes my day brighter, music sound better and it makes my taste-buds smile. An perfectly balanced flavor and a to die for aroma. 100% Perfect.

The smell is nice, and there are some nice flavors, citrus specifically. That said, it is basically a fancy pants Earl Grey tea. If you like Earl Grey, you will like this. I will pass.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Backlog 3/67

This tea came in from either Cameron or Mandy and I’m not sure which. Sorry. I got both packages at the same time and I’m so confused about which were which now >_<

I can’t say terrible much about this tea. I jotted down notes while tasting last night because I was otherwise busy and I brewed up like 8 teas in a row. My notes for this one were: Flowers, tea (for aroma) and tea, bitter (for taste).
I didn’t get any floral note in the flavor. But the scent was definitely there.
I am not sure what this tea is meant to taste like, but to me it was just a vaguely bitter flavorless tea that was overall kinda flat. I didn’t get anything more than that out of it.

But as always, I enjoyed trying it. Thanks for sending it, Cameron or Mandy. XD

Flavors: Bitter, Floral, Tea

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Cameron B.

Hm, I don’t usually have issues with these teas being bitter. But I do brew it at around 200 degrees so maybe that makes a difference? This one is a bergamot tea and it has lemon and lime flavors with orange blossom.

Arshness

I didn’t notice any flavors in it is the thing. I don’t know if maybe the bag let too much air to it or what, but it didn’t have much of a taste. The bitter was mild, but there just weren’t any other flavors I could notice. Maybe the bergamot tricked me into thinking bitter. I didn’t realize bergamot was in it to begin with. :)

In the nose this promises to be a wonderful Earl Grey like tea, but once brewed it´s not that brilliant, at least not for me. It seems that all the citrics just flew away, resulting in quite a flat taste. Maybe I need to change the steeping parameters a bit, as this isn´t supposed to be “just” a black tea. BTW, couldn´t discover the orange blossom in the tea either.

Flavors: Bergamot

T&C TTB Tea #15 Backlog May 27

I guess I’m not really a fan of Kusmi’s teas. I had a bunch I wanted to try and was able to do so with this TTB, however was ultimately disappointed.

This one, not any different.

I found it astringent. It made my teeth hurt, maybe I have some kind of dental issues!

It was similar to St Petersberg but not nearly as good. The bergamot seemed weak to me.
It was similar to Troika, I couldn’t even tell you the difference.

Not my thing. I do not enjoy lemon/lime flavours in black teas. No sir I do not.

I was gifted a Russian Black Kusmi tea set last Christmas and fell in love with the entire brand. This wasn’t one of my favourites initially , but I recently tried it with foamed milk, sugar, and vanilla bean paste and it was so delicious (any of that range tastes amazing this way – VB paste adds a great flavour without the bitterness of essence.) I recently bought the larger tin and have used it in shortbread, lattes, and straight.

Flavors: Bergamot, Lemon

This is third for me to try out of my Russian blends (thanks again to Boychik for setting me straight on how to brew these :)). Like the previous two, upon opening the tin, the smell of bergamot is overpowering. I think I can catch a little whiff of lime though, which makes me excited to try this. I did the usual brew of 3 minutes at about 200 degrees.

The aroma of the brewed tea is mostly bergamot, but I am able to pick up on some sweet orange and a little note of lemon. I’m not sure whether the lime is there because I find it difficult to separate all these different citrus scents from one another. I had fully intended to try this one without any sugar (I feel I should wean myself off of sweetening my teas in general because I feel like, in some cases, it interferes with my tasting of all the flavors). However, I don’t think I can drink a bergamot tea straight – I found it unpleasantly bitter or something. So I added just under a teaspoon of sugar (foiled again!).

When I first tasted this as it was still very hot, I could mostly just taste black tea with bergamot. I’m beginning to see this as a pattern with these Russian blends from Kusmi. I let it cool, taking a few sips every so often to see how the flavor was changing, and it’s interesting to note how the effect of sugar becomes more and more apparent as a tea grows colder (at least, in my opinion). I found that I enjoy this tea much more when it is just warm as opposed to hot, and I can now pick out the flavors of lemon and orange, and possibly a slight floral note (I take it this is the orange blossom). The lime seems to manifest itself as a kind of aftertaste on the back of my tongue. Overall, I really like the combination of citrus flavor in this tea.

(thanks again Boychik for all of your helpful advice)

Flavors: Bergamot, Floral, Lemon, Lime, Orange

TheTeaFairy

Yay to shared knowledge, boychik is awesome :-)

And don’t worry about the fact that you “foiled again”. I personally very rarely add anything to me tea, but it is recommended to add a bit of sugar sometimes to bring out the flavour in flavoured tea. The beauty is, you’ are your own tea master, you get to choose what you like best. After trying with and without sugar, if you like it best with sugar and it helps you appreciate more whatever tea you are drinking, then what’s wrong with that? :-)

whatshesaid

So true, TeaFairy!

TeaBrat

yes the bitterness is one reason I don’t really care for bergamot.

Cameron B.

@*TheTeaFairy*: Yeah, I tend to prefer tea with a little bit of sugar, but I think I will definitely try to taste everything without sugar for at least a few sips just to see the difference. Bergamot may be an exception, I find it a little offensive without sugar.

@*TeaBrat*: For me, it depends on the level of bergamot, but sweetener definitely helps to cut that bitterness. I can’t imagine drinking an Earl Grey without it…

boychik

Anastasia + Napoleon is best combo. this is how napoleon looks like. never made it, I’m baking challenged

Cameron B.

I love to bake so I might need to try that recipe. :P

boychik

just for the record, i didnt do anything special,just suggested parameters that work for me.

Cameron B.

Well it was very helpful, whether you think it was special of you or not! Don’t worry, I’ll stop mentioning you in posts if it’ll make you feel better. :)

boychik

you can mention my name all you want. its just the place i came from i have to be humble. we grew up not being praised no matter what

TheTeaFairy

Awww, that’s sad… Well here, it’s the opposite…you’ll be praised, no matter what :-)

Cameron B.

While that sounds like a hard upbringing, humbleness is a quality that I prize in people. :) That being said, it’s okay to accept praise every once in a while!