Anastasia

Black Fruit Blend
Bergamot, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Black Tea, Natural Lemon Flavor
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “ I have been absent from Steepster because a large group of people descended upon my home, these people were always needing to be fed, whining about how the shower they took was cold and always...” Read full tasting note
    hesperjune 163 tasting notes
  • “I've been sipping away at this without even thinking! My first day of training got cancelled, nooooo, but I go tomorrow. I went to the mall anyway to confirm my suspicions that I have no idea how...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1195 tasting notes
  • “I had thist tea with lunch and I greatly enjoyed it. The base was fragrant, full-bodied and a little malty.. The addition of a variety of citrus really worked well with the base. I definitely need...” Read full tasting note
    fuzzy_peachkin 464 tasting notes
  • “I'm beginning to think Kusmi can do no wrong with black teas. This is the 4th I have tried, and it's very good. Latte'd it up today, because it's just one of those days where you're lucky I got out...” Read full tasting note
    Skulleigh 220 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Blend of black teas from China and Ceylon flavored with natural essences of bergamot, lemon, lime and orange blossom. Russian blend.

Tasting advice: delicious plain or sweetened

TEA PROFILE
Origin: China and Ceylon
Main flavor: citrus with a fruity note
Quantity needed: 0,1 oz.

PREPARATION
Time of day: all day
Ideal water temperature: 185°F – 195°F
Recommended brewing time: 3-4 min

About Kusmi Tea View company

There’s nothing better than having a lazy day off. The only way today could’ve been better was if my boyfriend was here. Unfortunately our relationship is currently long-distance, but hopefully we’ll fix that soon.

Anyway, about the tea; quite nice, actually. There’s a sort of familiar taste to it, but I can’t quite pin it down. This is another smooth one.

I also really like how all these teas seem to be different takes on an Earl Grey.

This was a bit of a letdown. Supposedly a lady grey type, except IMO good old cheap lady grey from a teabag is much better – a more interesting balanced flavour (less bergamot I think) and more intense.

Without additives: Lemony. Bergamot. Something that tastes like rosemary or some slightly bitter herb/plant. Not very smooth.
With additives: Slight improvement because I like the taste of milk.
It seems like the flavors just don’t go together with the tea.

Pure bliss. It makes my day brighter, music sound better and it makes my taste-buds smile. An perfectly balanced flavor and a to die for aroma. 100% Perfect.

I stopped by Kusmi teas on Friday. I had seen the store, but I had never gone in before, and I regret that this was my first time. The store is beautiful on the inside, as are the really lovely tins, which stack. All of the teas were available to smell, and all of them smelled amazing.

Kusmi teas has a pretty interesting history, and I’ve enjoyed reading about it. It started in Russia and ended up in France in 1917, I think. I also didn’t realize that the small tea store I knew about was the only one in the States.

Anyway, enough about that and more about the tea. I kind of mentioned this before, but the packaging is lovely. The tin is very attractive, and the tea is inside and sealed inside plastic. The tea itself smells both like lemon and bergamot. The lady at the store said that Anastasia was definitely an Earl Gray, and it is, but it’s also very lemon flavored in a very perfect way. I have been looking for a lemon tea, so I was really excited about this particular fact. I had been smelling a lot of teas when I went into the store, it’s right near David’s Tea, and I think my ability to discern between teas at the time was somewhat limited.

It brews to a beautiful light brown color with a red undertone. It looks like a mild black tea, which is exactly what it is. The tea itself is maybe a bit too thin for me. I wish there was more tea, however, I cannot fault the tea itself for this, as it is beautifully delicate in a way which I believe it is supposed to be. The lemon flavor and the bergamot flavor shine through and they really work together to create a bright and citrus-y body to the tea. I love the flavors of this tea. I find Earl Grays to lack citrus qualities sometimes, which I know is a strange thing to say, since they are by nature citrus. Anyway, this is very citrus bergamot.

Overall, this was a fantastic purchase. This tea is really great, and I am very impressed with it.

I had no idea that Russians were/are obsessed with Earl Grey. I say this because all of the tins in my Russian collection from Kusmi contain black tea scented with bergamot! My first foray into the set is Anastasia, which smells just like a fine Earl Grey in the dried form.

The liquor is a dark red amber, and the flavor is more floral than citrus to me. Perhaps it is the power of suggestion, but I do believe that I am tasting and smelling a bit of orange blossom in this blend. I like Anastasia: a nice combination of citrus and floral aromas and flavors. I drank this, my very first glass, with light cream.

I forgot to taste the tea before adding cream, so I’ll have to wait until next time to attach a number to Anastasia. The black tea base does seem better than the average Earl Grey—both China black and Ceylon are included—but I need to taste it au naturel to be sure.

boychik

You are right. Russians were not obsessed with EG. But we always liked tea with fresh lemon and cubed sugar. I like Anastasia a lot. Nowadays I have it when we have some company. Usually with Russian pastries

sherapop

Thanks boychik, I appreciate this insider perspective. Now another question for you: Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy? ;-)

boychik

If you would ask me like 20 yrs ago Tolstoy. Now I think I’m leaning more towards Dostoevsky. We were forced to study them in middle school mostly. I think it was wrong and gave wrong impression. I wasn’t mature enough to appreciate.

sherapop

Interesting, boychik! I’ve always been a Dostoevsky gal myself. I enjoyed reading Anna Karenina, but I especially love Dostoevsky’s psychological insights and existential perspective. Needless to say, we in the United States were not forced to study these authors. I found them myself.

I wonder whether anyone will be reading such long novels a century from now, when every human being will have developed ADD from attending to their gadgets…

boychik

Well if you like some unusual reading I can recommend you Michael Bulgakov “Master & Margarita” . If you decide to read it some history lessons needed 1917 revolution and aftermath. Till probably 1939.

sherapop

Thanks for the recommendation, boychik!

A weak Earl Grey, with lemon and other citrus. Move along. Nothing to see here. Probably a fine cuppa for those who want more of a citrus note to their Earl Grey, but I’m all about big, bold, boastful bergamot.

The last Russian blend sampler brought by NYC friends.

A great mix of lemon, orange, bergamot in a malty black base. Best out of the 5 Russian Blend Samplers.

One of my favorite EG teas, i kind of like the citrus notes and weaker bergamot taste.