Anastasia

Bergamot, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Black Tea, Natural Lemon Flavor
Earl Grey, Orange Blossom, Bitter, Floral, Tea, Bergamot, Lemon, Lime, Orange
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Kusmi Tea

Blend of black teas from China and Ceylon flavored with natural essences of bergamot, lemon, lime and orange blossom. Russian blend.

Tasting advice: delicious plain or sweetened

TEA PROFILE
Origin: China and Ceylon
Main flavor: citrus with a fruity note
Quantity needed: 0,1 oz.

PREPARATION
Time of day: all day
Ideal water temperature: 185°F – 195°F
Recommended brewing time: 3-4 min

About Kusmi Tea View company

In the nose this promises to be a wonderful Earl Grey like tea, but once brewed it´s not that brilliant, at least not for me. It seems that all the citrics just flew away, resulting in quite a flat taste. Maybe I need to change the steeping parameters a bit, as this isn´t supposed to be “just” a black tea. BTW, couldn´t discover the orange blossom in the tea either.

Flavors: Bergamot

T&C TTB Tea #15 Backlog May 27

I guess I’m not really a fan of Kusmi’s teas. I had a bunch I wanted to try and was able to do so with this TTB, however was ultimately disappointed.

This one, not any different.

I found it astringent. It made my teeth hurt, maybe I have some kind of dental issues!

It was similar to St Petersberg but not nearly as good. The bergamot seemed weak to me.
It was similar to Troika, I couldn’t even tell you the difference.

Not my thing. I do not enjoy lemon/lime flavours in black teas. No sir I do not.

I was gifted a Russian Black Kusmi tea set last Christmas and fell in love with the entire brand. This wasn’t one of my favourites initially , but I recently tried it with foamed milk, sugar, and vanilla bean paste and it was so delicious (any of that range tastes amazing this way – VB paste adds a great flavour without the bitterness of essence.) I recently bought the larger tin and have used it in shortbread, lattes, and straight.

Flavors: Bergamot, Lemon

This is third for me to try out of my Russian blends (thanks again to Boychik for setting me straight on how to brew these :)). Like the previous two, upon opening the tin, the smell of bergamot is overpowering. I think I can catch a little whiff of lime though, which makes me excited to try this. I did the usual brew of 3 minutes at about 200 degrees.

The aroma of the brewed tea is mostly bergamot, but I am able to pick up on some sweet orange and a little note of lemon. I’m not sure whether the lime is there because I find it difficult to separate all these different citrus scents from one another. I had fully intended to try this one without any sugar (I feel I should wean myself off of sweetening my teas in general because I feel like, in some cases, it interferes with my tasting of all the flavors). However, I don’t think I can drink a bergamot tea straight – I found it unpleasantly bitter or something. So I added just under a teaspoon of sugar (foiled again!).

When I first tasted this as it was still very hot, I could mostly just taste black tea with bergamot. I’m beginning to see this as a pattern with these Russian blends from Kusmi. I let it cool, taking a few sips every so often to see how the flavor was changing, and it’s interesting to note how the effect of sugar becomes more and more apparent as a tea grows colder (at least, in my opinion). I found that I enjoy this tea much more when it is just warm as opposed to hot, and I can now pick out the flavors of lemon and orange, and possibly a slight floral note (I take it this is the orange blossom). The lime seems to manifest itself as a kind of aftertaste on the back of my tongue. Overall, I really like the combination of citrus flavor in this tea.

(thanks again Boychik for all of your helpful advice)

Flavors: Bergamot, Floral, Lemon, Lime, Orange

TheTeaFairy

Yay to shared knowledge, boychik is awesome :-)

And don’t worry about the fact that you “foiled again”. I personally very rarely add anything to me tea, but it is recommended to add a bit of sugar sometimes to bring out the flavour in flavoured tea. The beauty is, you’ are your own tea master, you get to choose what you like best. After trying with and without sugar, if you like it best with sugar and it helps you appreciate more whatever tea you are drinking, then what’s wrong with that? :-)

whatshesaid

So true, TeaFairy!

TeaBrat

yes the bitterness is one reason I don’t really care for bergamot.

Cameron B.

@*TheTeaFairy*: Yeah, I tend to prefer tea with a little bit of sugar, but I think I will definitely try to taste everything without sugar for at least a few sips just to see the difference. Bergamot may be an exception, I find it a little offensive without sugar.

@*TeaBrat*: For me, it depends on the level of bergamot, but sweetener definitely helps to cut that bitterness. I can’t imagine drinking an Earl Grey without it…

boychik

Anastasia + Napoleon is best combo. this is how napoleon looks like. never made it, I’m baking challenged

Cameron B.

I love to bake so I might need to try that recipe. :P

boychik

just for the record, i didnt do anything special,just suggested parameters that work for me.

Cameron B.

Well it was very helpful, whether you think it was special of you or not! Don’t worry, I’ll stop mentioning you in posts if it’ll make you feel better. :)

boychik

you can mention my name all you want. its just the place i came from i have to be humble. we grew up not being praised no matter what

TheTeaFairy

Awww, that’s sad… Well here, it’s the opposite…you’ll be praised, no matter what :-)

Cameron B.

While that sounds like a hard upbringing, humbleness is a quality that I prize in people. :) That being said, it’s okay to accept praise every once in a while!

I received a sample of this from Carmeron B in her kusmi sampler. Thank you!

Oh this tea was such a nice afternoon cup. It is slight ear grey and slight floral. The base black tea mingles really well with the flavors. This is my favorite out of the Russian blends I have tried so far. I could see a tin of this in my future. Thank you for sharing!

When I first opened the tin I thought that this tea would be too lemoney. I had no idea what to expect and I thought I would hate it. I finally decided to try it and as it was steeping I was still not sure. When the tea was ready I smelled it and it was fresh and subtle and light. Then I took a sip and I was hooked. This is a wonderful tea, just the right amount of bergamot and you smell the citrus and you get that taste at the end of the sip. I take this tea every morning with my breakfast and when I drink it, I know that it will be a good day.

I stopped by Kusmi teas on Friday. I had seen the store, but I had never gone in before, and I regret that this was my first time. The store is beautiful on the inside, as are the really lovely tins, which stack. All of the teas were available to smell, and all of them smelled amazing.

Kusmi teas has a pretty interesting history, and I’ve enjoyed reading about it. It started in Russia and ended up in France in 1917, I think. I also didn’t realize that the small tea store I knew about was the only one in the States.

Anyway, enough about that and more about the tea. I kind of mentioned this before, but the packaging is lovely. The tin is very attractive, and the tea is inside and sealed inside plastic. The tea itself smells both like lemon and bergamot. The lady at the store said that Anastasia was definitely an Earl Gray, and it is, but it’s also very lemon flavored in a very perfect way. I have been looking for a lemon tea, so I was really excited about this particular fact. I had been smelling a lot of teas when I went into the store, it’s right near David’s Tea, and I think my ability to discern between teas at the time was somewhat limited.

It brews to a beautiful light brown color with a red undertone. It looks like a mild black tea, which is exactly what it is. The tea itself is maybe a bit too thin for me. I wish there was more tea, however, I cannot fault the tea itself for this, as it is beautifully delicate in a way which I believe it is supposed to be. The lemon flavor and the bergamot flavor shine through and they really work together to create a bright and citrus-y body to the tea. I love the flavors of this tea. I find Earl Grays to lack citrus qualities sometimes, which I know is a strange thing to say, since they are by nature citrus. Anyway, this is very citrus bergamot.

Overall, this was a fantastic purchase. This tea is really great, and I am very impressed with it.

I had no idea that Russians were/are obsessed with Earl Grey. I say this because all of the tins in my Russian collection from Kusmi contain black tea scented with bergamot! My first foray into the set is Anastasia, which smells just like a fine Earl Grey in the dried form.

The liquor is a dark red amber, and the flavor is more floral than citrus to me. Perhaps it is the power of suggestion, but I do believe that I am tasting and smelling a bit of orange blossom in this blend. I like Anastasia: a nice combination of citrus and floral aromas and flavors. I drank this, my very first glass, with light cream.

I forgot to taste the tea before adding cream, so I’ll have to wait until next time to attach a number to Anastasia. The black tea base does seem better than the average Earl Grey—both China black and Ceylon are included—but I need to taste it au naturel to be sure.

boychik

You are right. Russians were not obsessed with EG. But we always liked tea with fresh lemon and cubed sugar. I like Anastasia a lot. Nowadays I have it when we have some company. Usually with Russian pastries

sherapop

Thanks boychik, I appreciate this insider perspective. Now another question for you: Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy? ;-)

boychik

If you would ask me like 20 yrs ago Tolstoy. Now I think I’m leaning more towards Dostoevsky. We were forced to study them in middle school mostly. I think it was wrong and gave wrong impression. I wasn’t mature enough to appreciate.

sherapop

Interesting, boychik! I’ve always been a Dostoevsky gal myself. I enjoyed reading Anna Karenina, but I especially love Dostoevsky’s psychological insights and existential perspective. Needless to say, we in the United States were not forced to study these authors. I found them myself.

I wonder whether anyone will be reading such long novels a century from now, when every human being will have developed ADD from attending to their gadgets…

boychik

Well if you like some unusual reading I can recommend you Michael Bulgakov “Master & Margarita” . If you decide to read it some history lessons needed 1917 revolution and aftermath. Till probably 1939.

sherapop

Thanks for the recommendation, boychik!

A weak Earl Grey, with lemon and other citrus. Move along. Nothing to see here. Probably a fine cuppa for those who want more of a citrus note to their Earl Grey, but I’m all about big, bold, boastful bergamot.

The last Russian blend sampler brought by NYC friends.

A great mix of lemon, orange, bergamot in a malty black base. Best out of the 5 Russian Blend Samplers.