Black Tea, Natural Flavours
Candy, Floral, Malt, Smooth, Sweet, Violet, Flowers
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

• “Thank you for some of this tea, Ellyn! I love love love it. Violet is probably my favorite floral flavor. This was actually not as strongly flavored as I thought it was going to be. It's sweet...” Read full tasting note
    pandamanda 1212 tasting notes
  • “backlog..enjoyed a giant pot of this yesterday.See my previous reviews. Am nudging the rating higher again. It is a really good flavored black tea. Just the right amount of sweet. Updated: this...” Read full tasting note
    Ellyn 230 tasting notes
  • “nice as a quick stop over cup of tea, but i wouldn't buy. i suppose it seems a rather half hearted effort to my palate? still, thanks loads to the ever-brilliant ifjuly for the try of it. i guess i...” Read full tasting note
    JustJames 379 tasting notes
  • “This is the first violet tea I've had. I don't ordinarily think of violet as something edible, and I don't think I've tasted it before though I've seen those violet candies in the little tin. I...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 953 tasting notes

From Kusmi Tea

Black tea from China flavored with natural essences of violet.

About Kusmi Tea View company

I’ve never had anything scented with violet before. It smells fruity and sweetly floral. I’m most excited that Kusmi prefers a China base, and you can definitely taste it. Hunan maybe, possibly blended with Keemun. I’m just throwing out wild guesses.

The actual violet is a bit difficult for me to pick out, but I have no idea what violets smell like, and it is “scented” so I expected to find it more in the nose than on the tongue. It’s less fragrant brewed than dry, but it’s still there. Sweetly floral.

This was a sample given to me over and SOKO’s, since they didn’t have any of the 1oz tins (which Kusmi might not even make for Violet, anyways—I know only some of their teas come in the smaller tins). I like having a taster before committing to one of Kusmi’s jumbo tins (what are those, 4oz minimum?).

I’m still thinking on it, but I’m liking it so far. Granted, I’m still working through that tastebud-problem. I don’t know if I’ve just desensitized myself or if this is a symptom of something (as loss-of-taste often is).

As I sip (REALLY sip—full out slurping here), the China base melts away and I’m getting more of the violet, I think. Sticking with “sweetly floral” as my description. I think this would be a nice tea to have on-hand.

I only did four minutes to test, this time, but next time I’ll do five. I’ve got enough left in my sample for another cup.

Amazingly soft and charming floral aroma. This tea is my first experience with floral teas and a darling in my collection.

I got this in a tea swap from fellow steepsterite Ellyn. I have never tried a tea that is violet based. I was apprehensive at first because I am not a huge fan of floral teas, they have to be extremely specific, otherwise I find them way too pungent and off-putting. I was pleasantly suprised. It is quite mellow, and the black tea comes out strongly within the beginning of the sip but towards the end of the sip, I can taste the floral. I like violet way more than any hibiscus or rose tea I have had as I find it compliments with tea, rather than overpowers it! this was an excellent first venture into a violet tea, and it definitely will not be my last!

Ellyn

I’m glad you like it! I too am on a violet tea kick…:)

I am very disappointed in this tea. Although it is very smooth, I can barely smell the aroma of violet either in the tin or brewed. I was hoping this would be a highly or at least moderately scented tea, but I find it simply is not. I love the fragrance and flavor of violet :-(

cteresa

If you can find it, Dammann has a pretty strong violet tea. I got another random-brand violet tea which if anything has too strong a violet note! and I think Mariage Freres makes violet tea as wel though I have not tried it.

Pia M

Hi and thanks for your reply! If anything, I would like something with a strong violet flavor and scent. When it comes to flavor, I like things strong and obvious, which is a lot like my outgoing personality! LOL :-) I have been able to find the Dammann Freres Violet tea online, and I fully intend to try it as soon as my tea budget allows it. I am looking forward to a strongly scented cup of violet tea, since the Kusmi Violet tea I ordered just isn’t doing the trick :-)

cteresa

The strong one I have is by a company which makes gift type kitchen things, like spice kits and teapots called Quai Sud http://www.quaisud.fr/thes/noirs-aromatises/the-la-violette

It is honestly too strong, almost perfumey oily. Dammann was quite nice, perfectly balanced in being violet and there but not perfumey. The Kusmi I never had but I have smelled it on the shop and indeed it smelled less intense than the Dammann and the other one I had. The Mariage Freres I never drank or smelled.

Not as sweet as A&D’s magnolia flavored Mermaid’s Kiss or a traditional jasmine, reminds me a little of Easter candy. I’d definitely recommend it.

I fell in love with this tea when I first smelled it. I like violet as a flavor, but it can sometimes be overpowering. This isn’t the case here, though; the violet enhances the black tea and brings out a mellow sweetness in it. It really is a perfectly blended tea.

I was not impressed with this tea. Yes I love the smell of violet, but the tea did not smell or taste fresh and alive to me. Almost stale and muted.

So, my sister’s birthday was June 30th and I had purchased a 4.4 ounce tin of this tea for her with my Kusmi order a few weeks earlier. This was the tea she was most interested in when I showed her the website, so I figured it would make a nice little gift, especially since their tins are so cute. I didn’t mail it because I knew I was going to be coming to Kansas City soon (she lives here, too). So when I gave her the gift a couple of nights ago and she opened it, I took out a serving for myself and kept it until today. I’m going shopping with her and my mother later today, so I’ll definitely ask her what she thinks of this tea. Dry, this tea smells like floral candy – it’s very sweet. I did my usual French tea method – 1 tsp in 8 ounces of 200 degree water for 3 minutes.

I don’t think I paid much attention to the brewed aroma – oops. In the tea itself, the flavoring is quite mild, especially when it’s still hot. The black tea base is smooth and mellow, nothing special but unobtrusive and drinkable. I don’t consider myself to be terribly familiar with the smell or taste of violets, but it’s definitely a more delicate floral note than I generally encounter (rose, jasmine, etc.). There’s something about it that makes me think that these are sugared violets, not the fresh variety. I definitely get a candy flavor from this tea, even without sugar. I found it altogether pleasant enough, but not something that I would seek out or order. Then again, I’m not big on floral teas generally. :)

Flavors: Candy, Floral, Malt, Smooth, Sweet

Stephanie

This one intrigues me :)

Shoot, omitted this one by mistake.

Drank this as I waited for supper to hurry up and be ready.

Sample sipdown! No clue exactly where it came from though, it’s been so long.

I’d rated this 74 before. I feel like that’s a bit high just because I can now safely say I’m not a huge proponent of flowery teas.

This one wasn’t too much, maybe if it were fresher, it would be more floral.As is, I’d say I would recommend this for someone on the fence about floral teas.

Me, I think I will continue to admire flowers from afar, and with my eyes…not my tongue.

Oh yeah, and I’m lowering the rating a bit.

I am somewhat obsessed with violets (and refer to myself as a violet-ho at fragrance community websites), so naturally I could not resist trying Kusmi Violet.

The dried tea smells very violet. The liquor is a dark reddish brown—of course, I brewed it strong. The taste of the brew, however, is mostly black tea. I struggled to “taste” the violet, though I do believe that I caught some wafts off the the surface of the tea. Fortunately, the black tea used is pretty good, so I did enjoy this pot and will be drinking the rest of my tin. Perhaps I should sit and sniff the dried tea while I imbibe!

keychange

Speaking of tea and fragrance, I so desperately want to get my hands on the Guerlain teas! but from what I hear from Victoria at bois de jasmine, it’s only available from their flagship store in France, and you can’t even get it from their website!

sherapop

I did not even know about the Guerlain teas, keychange! Sounds intriguing…